Puppies

todteach

Dreams can come true
Reaction score
Thought I would start a thread about puppies. I pick mine up on the weekend of June 6th, and I'm super excited! Can you tell?!? She's a chocolate lab. Thought we could all share info with eachother, the big 'ol do's and don't's. What we are finding cute and what we need help with.

Here's a picture of mine. Went to see her today with my mom. She is four weeks old.

Attachments

• Jolene.jpg
    Jolene.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 11
Gorgeous! I can think of a big dont... dont let them sleep in your bed... not even just once. Mines still in there now a year later. He even goes and gets in it when hes tired.

https://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e188/sparkswillfly35/n222701172_2278104_547.jpghttps://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e188/sparkswillfly35/photo097.jpg

Heres my naughty little puppy. Hes 18 months old now.

Too cute! Is that a beagle?!?!?!? That's what my husband wanted, he grew up with one........

yeah hes a beagle. his name is Mowgli. He is hard work... beagles are mad. My mum has a choc lab about 6 months old and shes an angel in comparison. so calm.

good choice! love chocolate labs! im qualified in dog behaviour if you need any help! (not that you would think it to see my nutter boxer sometimes lol!)

Ditto what Sam said.

Also, invest in a good crate for house training. Be prepared to get up every three hours at night for the first week or so, even if they aren't crying to get out. It helps them get house trained quicker.

At night, take away water and give them ice cubes to lick at to drink until they are housetrained.

Invest in some anti chew spray, and use in liberally on everything, especially skirting boards. My dog ripped up half my kitchen floor overnight when he was a puppy.

Use a word or phase when the puppy goes to the toilet so they associate the toilet with that tone, word or phrase.

Hi I have a chocolate cocker spaniel puppy...he is 9 months old now...totally gorgeous but totally mental!!!!:rofl:
I agree with getting a crate for them..we have a large one that we bought when we brought him home and he loves it.
When he gets fed up or tired we often find him in there.:sleep:
He never gets locked in the crate for longer than an hour and we also had a dog flap fitted for him which he took to straight away & never had an 'accident' in the house since.
We don't allow him upstairs at the moment as he is abit of a sock fiend and eats them which results in him being ill for couple of days then throwing them back up!!:dohh:
He is starting obidience class on the 1st June to try and calm him down.
I do recommend pet insurance as that way if any accidents least you know he is covered! We have our insurance through Pet Plan.
We also had him micro-chipped incase he ever went missing.....:hissy:
Hope this all helps and good luck with your puppy!!!

p.s- this is our puppy Oscar at about 9 weeks old

Attachments

• oscar.jpg
    oscar.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 7
Cute dog :)

If a dog is educated right he also won't have the chance to go on beds etc.

Cute dog :)

If a dog is educated right he also won't have the chance to go on beds etc.

bailey is most definatly 'educated right' but hes allowed on the bed.. :sleep:
only on invitation tho.. and he knows that!

Hiya!
Well, my puppy isnt a puppy anymore! But i couldnt resist!

This is Dayna on the day we got her- 8 weeks old! She's now 4 years old. On her first night with us she cried. My sister (being the big mug that she is) got out of bed and slept in the dog basket with her!!! I soon put a stop to that tho! She's pretty well behaved now. The only annoying thing she does is bark when the door goes- but at least that makes her a good deterrent!

Attachments

• n591897188_1941468_8731.jpg
    n591897188_1941468_8731.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 14
  • n591897188_1941471_2223.jpg
    n591897188_1941471_2223.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 22
Aww, cute puppies!

We've got a 9 month fox red labrador called Moss (Not yellow, more ginger in colour). He's absolutely massive now!

He's excellent off the lead but a nightmare on the lead, he pulls so much. I can't even walk him anymore cos he's so strong. We're buying him a halti tomorrow when DH gets paid. Anyone got any good lead training tips?

Here's a pic of him as a baby and one I took in early April:

Attachments

• 059.jpg
    059.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 329.jpg
    329.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 10
what have you tried so far? a halti is a good start, but needs to be combined with a 'programme' to teach him how you actually want him to walk. my preferred method is the stop start method. literally, every time he pulls, you stop. and put him into a sit. keep him there until he is calm, then give him the 'move forward' command (whatever u use is fine.. just keep it consistent!). praise him when he is walking calmly, but as soon as he starts to pull again.. ie.. the minute the lead is at full tension, stop again and put him into the sit again until hes calm.. you will probably find that you need to do this A LOT on the first few walks, but if you are consistent and persistent with it, it will work! you might get some funny looks from the neighbours etc, but its worth it in the end!. Some trainers use a 'change direction' instead of a stop / sit, but i have found that with most dogs, they arent pulling towards anything specific.. so therefore changing direction has less effect as the dog doesnt care which direction he pulls in so long as he gets to pull! this version is handy tho if the dog is pulling towards something, like another dog etc, as you are increasing the distance between the dog and the 'subject' hope that makes sense! good luck!

dont get a halti- get a "dogmatic"
I always found the haltis rode up under the eyes. The dogmatics dont do that & they're made out of leather- so they're as strong as a horses bridle! Theres no way id be able to walk my beast without it! As with the haltis, they take some getting used to, but mine has had hers for 3 years now & refuses to go be wlked on a normal collar now- it freaks her out! lol! just type dogmatic in google, u should find it.

what have you tried so far? a halti is a good start, but needs to be combined with a 'programme' to teach him how you actually want him to walk. my preferred method is the stop start method. literally, every time he pulls, you stop. and put him into a sit. keep him there until he is calm, then give him the 'move forward' command (whatever u use is fine.. just keep it consistent!). praise him when he is walking calmly, but as soon as he starts to pull again.. ie.. the minute the lead is at full tension, stop again and put him into the sit again until hes calm.. you will probably find that you need to do this A LOT on the first few walks, but if you are consistent and persistent with it, it will work! you might get some funny looks from the neighbours etc, but its worth it in the end!. Some trainers use a 'change direction' instead of a stop / sit, but i have found that with most dogs, they arent pulling towards anything specific.. so therefore changing direction has less effect as the dog doesnt care which direction he pulls in so long as he gets to pull! this version is handy tho if the dog is pulling towards something, like another dog etc, as you are increasing the distance between the dog and the 'subject' hope that makes sense! good luck!

I agree with all this training advice too! I still use a halti tho, just for my own piece of mind. I know that if im walking her on a normal collar & she pulls at something exciting- even just once- theres no way i could stop her. She's just too strong at the neck. I sometimes think itd be like trying to stop a horse by grabbing its neck! lol!

yep.. i think with a horse sized dog you need that bit of extra control no matter how well trained the dog is.. just incase! i think most people would have issues restraining a dane on a mission lol!!! hes amazing by the way.. id love a dane, and he would defo be a harliquin too!

re the halti.. i think its worth taking him to a pet shop and trying them on.. i know pets and home and most of the other big retailers are fine with this.. theres also the gentle leader.. its my preferred choice for boxers due to their short muzzle.. different shaped heads suit different collars, so if at all possible try them out and see which is best for you guys

when you are introducing it.. dont just try to whack it on and go for a walk, spend some time with it just in your hand, while praising him etc, build this up until you are able to have it on his head for a few seconds, then minutes etc, praise is the key, he needs to know that this is a good thing! head collars feel very strange to a dog at first, they soon adapt but its the initial introduction to it that will make or break!

Thanks for the suggestions :)

My sister suggested the changing direction method and it just didn't work at all with him.

DH uses the stopping method and wont move till he's calmed down, but he just wont do that for me. I think he knows I'm weaker than DH and a pushover, so he knows he can get away with it. He's by far more easily controlled by DH than me, he definitely knows DH is boss. I think that's another major problem we're having with him actually...

Do you tense up when you walk him, expecting him to pull? Is he extended to the full length of the lead with tension as he pulls?

Do you tense up when you walk him, expecting him to pull? Is he extended to the full length of the lead with tension as he pulls?

I think I do tense up and he will pull with the lead fully extended too. I usually wrap the lead around my hand a few times so it feels more secure to me. I know I'm probably doing everything wrong.

It's actually getting me down quite a bit that it's so difficult to walk him now, I love being out and about. He used to walk next to the buggy when he was a young pup, I have no idea what went wrong.

Other than these few issues (Walking, him not listening to me), he's such a good dog. He's great with the kids and really affectionate.

at home who is the 'master' and who feeds him etc.. is it usually your OH who walks him, or you? usually pulling for one owner but not another isnt to do with the dog knowing that one is physically weaker than the other, but more to do with the fact that in general, one is seen as the master, and the other isnt. you should find that some general obedience at home from you, and less from hub and things might improve.. have you heard of the NILF (nothing in life is free) method?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->