Saving money- The Aldi Challenge??

wtbmummy

Reaction score
I'm just wondering if anyone has done the Aldi challenge n if it was a success??

I currently shop in asda and then buy odd bits in iceland totalling at 60-80pw for the three of us and cats.

I'm just not sure how much we will save as I already buy asdas own and spartprice for a lot of items to save money. I mean if it tastes the same why pay more?? :shrug:

So I would just like to know others experiances with Aldi. Do you really save money? Obviously my savings will go in a christmas pot for our food this year. Has anyone even done an Aldi Christmas shop in there? Heard some mixed reviews last year.

I changed my big shop to Aldi about a year ago because I found I saved lots. Some of the stuff was half the price than in other supermarkets.

I never shopped at Asda, so I'm not sure how their own brand stuff compares.

Their own brand fajita kits are a bargain at £1-19. This week they have their super 6 fruit and veg, with bags of apples and 3 pack of peppers for only 69p.

I'd definitely give their stuff a try. The only annoying thing about Aldi is their stores tend to be quite small, so if you go when its busy it can be a bit stressful. I try and go early sat morning before it gets too busy.

I used to do my weekly shop at Asda and have switched to Aldi. My budget is £60 the same as it was before but I don't always spend that. I've found I can have more variety of food than I could before and I also think a lot of it is better quality than buying the cheaper ranges in Asda. So for me personally the benefit of swapping wasnt necessarily spending less, just eating better!

We swapped from Asda to Aldi, and although we didn't change our budget we definitely found we got more for our money than Aldi! Now we can afford to have treats in our weekly shop if we fancy it without worrying about how much extra we'll have to spend and a lot of the stuff tastes exactly the same as the big brands!

Hubby has gone crazy on the own brand/aldi stuff and i am not coping! :brat:

I love Aldi. I can get a full week's shop there for £35 easily, whereas it's usually £50+ at Morrisons (I've not shopped at Asda for years for a big shop but it was hitting around £80 there).
I detest food shopping though, so I still use Morrisons because they're online :blush: But if Aldi were online, I'd be all over it.

I can make £110 shop last a month for me, OH, DD1, rabbit and parrot :o That's with ASDA or Tesco (£80 fridge/freezer/pets & a £30 discount shop for cupboards). Then we'll have a take-away every other Saturday. Aldi and Lidl are too far out for me to shop at :(

I love Aldi. I can get a full week's shop there for £35 easily, whereas it's usually £50+ at Morrisons (I've not shopped at Asda for years for a big shop but it was hitting around £80 there).
I detest food shopping though, so I still use Morrisons because they're online :blush: But if Aldi were online, I'd be all over it.

Aldi are going online soon, I read it somewhere this morning!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34377593

Aldi are going online soon, I read it somewhere this morning!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34377593

Woo! :happydance:

I actually hate aldi and our shopping wasn't any cheaper there but I'm already pretty frugal so maybe thats why lol xx

I struggle to get my whole shop from aldi or lidl to be honest, and the stress of using my local one is just so bad that i end up using morrisons. My husband however is German and there are some foods that i have to get from either aldi or lidl. I can't do a whole shop though it would make my head explode haha. The Christmas stuff is easily the best around. If they could just make the stores bigger and include some self service tills that would be awesome !

I can't get everything at Aldi, so I then have to go asda and get the bits I couldn't get, I never really found it any cheaper either, so now I stick with asda as I get it delivered, I don't drive, and I can get all my shopping I the one place then, plus they have the 10% guarantee so I log on and get my vouchers if they wasn't cheaper than other leading supermarkets

I shop at aldi mainly and then top up at a big supermarket for brands such as coke zero and Heinz beans

We have swapped from asda to aldi.
At asda we were spending £80-£110
At aldi £50-60

I find we are eating better meals now aswell and my cupboards, fridge and freezer are fit for bursting.

What I also like about is how quick I can get in and out aswell as it being closer for us.

:)

I do like Aldi. I popped in once to try the nappies as recommended by another mum and noticed the price differences so decided to do one shop in there. Now I go every week. I do still get some things from Asda, but all of my fresh fruit and vegetables and a few other items are from Aldi. Rios nappies and wipes too.
My shopping at asda used to be £90-£110 a time depending if I needed nappies etc. Now I spend around £35 at Aldi and £20 at asda and end up with WAY more than before. I'm a fan. X

Thanks everyone,
so still mixed reviews then :haha: I'm quite a savvy shopper anyway hence why go to iceland as they really do have good deals on fish and chicken and there bonless roasts are brill :thumbup:

I like the idea of more food in the house even if still spending the £60 I wont buy wipes as I hate that material so stick with huggies pure. Apart from that I think I will get dropped off on Saturday whilst dh takes ds swimming and give it a go... no harm in trying for one week is there :thumbup:

I am normally an online shopper so uf aldis go online then id be happy. I really really hate going food shopping!! :haha:

I love aldi nappies, but the food shop from there I didn't find much cheaper but I already bought mostly own brand things anyway so the quality is better.

I actually really like lidl. Last month we got £90 shopping from lidl and maybe 30 from tesco and we still had food left at the end of the month and we didn't eat out or anything because money was tight after the car needing fixing. It also included breakfasts and lunches for work and we didn't go without anything.

My only gripe with both is that there are odd things you can't get from them that you have to go to the main supermarket for.

Ok for me Aldi was a complete waste of time :dohh:
I was tempted to walk out several times getting frustrated I couldnt find what I wanted. When we eventually got to the checkout the women was SOOOO rude on the till n piled everything up not stopping so we could pack our bags.
That was the final straw n tbh if dh hadnt been with me I woulda walked out n gone to tesco but nevermind.
Oh n then I STILL had to have an Asda delivery as I still needed £40 worth of stuff!! So instead of my normal £60-70 a week shop I spent..... £90!!!
What on earth!!! :dohh::shrug:

Can honestly say I will never be walking back into Aldi again!!

But at least I tried :winkwink:

Isn't Aldi known for the quickest check out? They don't mess around scanning things, but the one here they expect you to put the things back in the trolley and bag In a different area (like a huge table) so they can get the next person served.

What annoys me with Aldi/Lidl/Netto is that their products are shoved anywhere as they don't have a specific stock list to organise into categories.

I really love Aldi and Lidl. I find Lidl slightly more expensive but the smoked salmon is amazing!

I find we can easily spend £70-90 in Asda which is conveniently five mins down the road. The store is massive, it takes an hour sometimes more to do the shop.ni find myself getting sucked in and buying food/toiletries/clothes I don't need.

Whereas Aldi takes twenty minutes to get to, but I'm in and out in less than forty minutes. I bought food for five days and spent £26. Weekly to ten day shop is normally under £60. The quality of meat is much higher, I can afford to buy a free range chicken for £4.49, but couldn't at other supermarkets. We can have a great steak more frequently, sausages are higher quality and cheaper then supermarkets where the good quality sausages are two for £4/£5. Fruit and veg is cheaper and we've had no issues with quality or it lasting. Bread products are great. Deli meat is delicious and far cheaper then the supermarket equivalent. Things like fresh pizza etc are far cheaper, Tesco charge £4.50+ for a premium pizza, Aldis is half the price.

Definitely worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->