Second timers - what did you learn from the first birth?

tinyme77

Reaction score
I didn't know until last week that if you don't have a 28 day cycle then your baby's due date might be later and so i could have considered delaying the induction.
I didn't know that they would give me a check up and then disappear for 4 hours.
I didn't know how painful internals were.
Anyone else learn anything first time around that might change the second time?

Yup! Stay the heck away from hospital - at least for as long as possible. Trust your body. It knows what it is doing more than those interfering mws and docs.

Yup! Stay the heck away from hospital - at least for as long as possible. Trust your body. It knows what it is doing more than those interfering mws and docs.

Totally WSS^^:thumbup:

Also, you will never need all the stuff you take in your hospital bag!:haha:

Not to bother with a birth plan and just take things as they come!

I learned that there's no point in obsessing over, "Are those REAL contractions? Am I in REAL labor?"

When you're in labor, you'll know!

All good information!

That it's OKAY to say you don't want company. Don't feel like you have to have visitors, even close family, if you don't feel up to it. I know I wanted to be left alone.

Take along a support system and a friend to talk to, to make time pass quickly. Nurses are only there every so often, I'd consider hiring a doula even.

After my experience with midwives just during this pregnancy, i must say i'd already been thinking this myself - so i'll definitely be taking this advice :thumbup:

I didn't realise I'd have to actually push out the placenta, I thought it would just slide out after LO :blush:

I didn't know to stock up on Fybogel for the days afterwards.

I learnt that you should stay as upright as possible! I didn't go to the hospital until I was fully dilated and as they didn't know they got me to lie down to check me...I was so far gone that I couldn't get back upright again and I ended up pushing for 2.5 hours!

Gravity it a wonderful thing and I will defo be keeping upright and mobile during my home birth this time round!!!

Also - text everyone and update your facebook page as soon as possible - there's nothing more feck annoying than someone else making your announcement for you! (ie - congrats on the arrival of your baby girl, guys or here's a picture of my new baby nephew)... Its your news - be the first to share it!!

I learned pain really sucks lol...kidding....

-I learned that doctors aren't gods and that sometimes they don't appear to know what they are doing.
-I learned there are some amazing sweet nurses who are great at their jobs and others who have little or no empathy
-I learned that although I realize they need to learn somehow, I don't want doctors in training sewing me up down there...leave that to the experts please!
-I learned that even after the baby comes out it takes a looonnnnggg time for my puffiness and fluid to go away....I looked like a big marshmallow for a few days
-I learned that even after all the pain, tears and effort when that little one comes out it's all worth it and I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

I learned that my tummy doesn't magically ping back as soon as baby comes out it takes a few weeks. I can survive on far less sleep then i thought, having a baby makes you so hungry after and toast just isn't enough so take some after labour snacks.

I learned that having a strong sense of what you want to happen in labour can be dangerous because when it all goes out of the window you feel robbed and lost. I am keeping my mind very open as to what may happen this time.

Lx

Trust your body! The nurses and mid-wives told me I wasn't having contractions when I knew I was! I gave birth to my son 2 hours later!

birth plans are pointless
research c-sections because it just might happen despite all your best intentions
bf is bloody hard work!
wave goodbye to sleep for several months
having a little person totally reliant on you every moment of every day is scary

but it really is all worth it :)

id do it all again in a heartbeat
let gravity do its thing
dont pack for a weeks holiday for ur hospital bag
have a great birthing partner(s) to help u pass the time
if u can then stay away from hospital as long as possible

You can't drink or eat anything after an epidural! I was so thirsty...

I learned that:

Nurses can forget to tell you they're there to help you nurse, or change diapers, or even tell you that you're supposed to try to feed every 2-3 hours, not just when baby cries.

They can also forget to tell you about the postpartum check up.

Family members may not take the hint that you need to nurse and stay with the baby for the entire day if you don't outright tell them to leave.

Try to get a private room afterward. Roommates and their husbands snore.

Hospital food really sucks. If you're from another culture, have others bring you comfort food you are used to as a child.

Ice chips are your friends during labour.

Most nurses are wonderful but some should never become nurses.

You don't go back to feeling normal right away. In fact, after the first half hour of birth, as soon as I was raised up in the bed, I felt like I was going to pass out from blood loss and was dizzy the entire day.

Expect the unexpected....like delivering in a hallway at the hospital.

to stay active during the early stages of labour........... do not sit on your arse and wait it out.......... your making the wait longer!

to trust my body, to listen to what my body is telling me not just what the midwife knows as not all labours are text book labours

what to pack and what not to pack....... so much comes home unused

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->