Share your xmas traditions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

missk1989

Reaction score
This year is our first xmas at home without going to see family or eating out. I really want to start making our own traditions. When I was a kid we went to a panto every xmas eve. Not sure what traditions i want to set for us yet.

What are yours?

We've not really got any cause I'm a shift worker, so sometimes have work over christmas. But when we were kids my mum used to send my sister n me to the pictures on christmas eve(obviously when we were old enough to go on our own)..........this continued until I was 19 and my sister was 21:haha: (the main reason was to get us out the house so she could wrap our presents)

we do xmas eve box
going to book breakfast with santa and make that a tradition
were doing polar express too not sure if this will be a yearly thing though as it was expensive.
i havn't done pantos yet as i dont think they would sit but i used to go every year when i was young. might start this next year.
xmas light switch on.

*christmas Eve box opened in the morning
*christmas Eve chippy tea
*panto, Sunday before Christmas every year
*ds1 reads ds2 his book Christmas Eve
*dec1st pack

Traditions I had:

Advent calendar
No rules re breakfast on Christmas Day (ie: didn't have any)*
Open gifts in the morning
Hanging stocking and taking to parents room to open
Santa left presents in piles for each of us*
Take in turns to open presents
Panto
Milk, mince pie & carrot left out
Visiting Father Christmas

Traditions dh had:
Sang jingle bells on way up stairs on Christmas Eve
Opened stockings alone in bed*
Presents left under the tree
All open gifts at once*

Traditions we're introducing / have introduced:
Christmas Eve box in morning of CE
Gingerbread house decorating in run up to Christmas
We may join in laws at an outdoor nativity play on Xmas Eve or we'll go to christingle service at village church
Santa leave presents under the tree and make piles ourselves before taking turns to open
Kind elves (like elf on shelf but instead of the naught / nice concept, the elves leave an act of kindness for you to complete on each day of December - reminder it isn't all about receiving)

I love Christmas... And it's pretty much all about the traditions for me!

*these are things we will change

Other ideas are reindeer food on the lawn (it's corn and glitter so they can see where to land!), baking, a special breakfast, watching the same
Film every Christmas Eve???

Ever since I was a kid we would do 1 tea time present for Christmas day. The unspoken rule was that it was something that hadn't been asked for, or something that was unexpected and it was a special gift. It gave us all something to look forward to at the end of the day :) e.g. over the years, i've had money, tv, jewellery etc. I don't do it with my family anymore as we don't see them until tea time on Christmas anyway but i've started doing it with my OH and we'd like to carry on with our children :)

I used to go to the cinema on a Christmas Eve every year and loved it, my Dad and I (just us two growing up) used to walk home when it was getting dark and I can't tell you the excitement I used to feel knowing Christmas was the next day. Obviously that doesn't happen anymore but it's definitely something i'll do with my kids!

We also did new pjs and a take away! Ooo and on boxing day we still go to the shopping centre for the Christmas bargains. Boots is always our first stop, 50% off!

We have an elf who comes to stay on 1st december and gets picked up by Santa when he delivers the presents. Our elf isn't there to check up on whether they have been 'good' or not - he comes because he is a bit too mischievous and santa wants them to show him how to behave better. Like the kindness elf idea, might incorporate it this year. Our elf does some mischievous / funny things, plays with the children's toys, hides in odd places, and also brings occasional presents like new christmas books / dvd's, christmas themed craft projects.

We have an advent garland made up of little stockings I crocheted, which the elf fills with little treats when he arrives.

We go to the local christmas market, which is held on the first weekend in december each year.

We missed it last year because of my work, but we like to go to the lights switch on.

This year I have booked tickets to a 'pyjamas and blankets' showing of the Polare Express at a local independent cinema. Really looking forward to it (and hoping I don't have to work!). If possible I think I'd like to make that a regular tradition.

We leave out a mince pie and glass of milk for santa and a carrot for his reindeer, and sit the elf beside them to be picked up. Last year we also did reindeer food, might do it again this year. We used porridge oats mixed with glitter.

On christmas day we stay home and anyone who wants to visit is welcome, but don't expect a visit from us! I like the cosiness of staying in and not having to faff about going out. Makes it a proper family day.

We open our stockings upstairs and the pressies in there keep the little ones busy while hubby and I get showered and dressed. Then downstairs for bacon butties for breakfast, then opening the rest of the presents in between cooking the dinner. We have it around midday, as we don't like to have too big a meal in the evening.

We spend the afternoon and evening playing with our new toys, watching christmas telly / films (always including the Snowman) and eating festive snacks and chocolates.

On boxing day I usually go by myself to the Next sale, but not at silly o'clock in the morning! There is usually some nice stuff left late morning / early afternoon when I go.

I don't know yet if I'll have to work - havve volunteered tor night duty on new years eve, so hoping I get that instead. Not even sure when I will know. :(

- christmas morning open presents together.
- go out for Christmas dinner with my family.
- christmas night we usually watch something Christmassy.
- Boxing Day a buffet at my FIL's.
- sometime after boxing day we go to the Winter Wonderland in Manchester :)

Traditions when I was younger:

On Christmas Eve we would open up one gift (usually one from an Aunt or Uncle). Then on Christmas Morning we would wake up and open Santa Gifts. After opening gifts the whole family would go to my Grandparents and have breakfast and the kids would take their favourite toy to show everyone.

Now we do:

We have a Elf on the shelf called Carlos that comes on Dec. 1 and brings Colin's Advent Calander (this year it's a book/activity box where we wrap the books and activities up and have a number on it for each day.) He also gets a December 1st box which has new pjs, dvd and some other Christmas stuff in it.

On Christmas Eve he opens his Xmas Eve gift which has New DVD, New book, snack for watching the movie with and a lush bubble bomb for his bath.

Christmas morning we wake up and open Santa gifts and go to the In Laws to open more gifts and breakfast. We then either stay the day there or come home for an hour or so and then go back for Christmas Dinner where more family comes and more gifts.

Can't wait!

Go to the nearby village which has the best lights ever (they do it for charity)
Christmas Eve box with new film
Delivered mince pies from Betty's tea rooms on 23/24th and their hot chocolate
Making gingerbread cookies with LO
Open stocking in room altogether (if DH not working :()
Then one present each before breakfast - croissants and pastries
Festive music on and a pot of tea made in a special Xmas teapot!
Open presents!!!!

This year we are going out to lunch so will be a bit different after that!

Oh yes, making gingerbread is a long standing tradition here, too. At least one batch. Last year, Hayden scoffed more than he decorated!!

Baking Christmas cookies together, and icing the cut out cookies together

This year we went to a "Wake up Santa" event this past weekend at a local mall, where they had a bunch of Christmas/witner characters to wake up Santa for the season. It was fun, so we may make that a tradition to start the season.

Breakfast with Santa. They do this multiple places where I live; we're going to a nature preserve for it this year where it'll be set up in a decorated greenhouse.

Christmas lights. We go tour the area Christmas lights several weekends to get in the spirit. There are some really good displays not far from where we live, so we always visit those.

Christmas Eve party. Dh's grandma has a big Christmas eve party with his whole family, with a big dinner, dessert, and presents. Then we go back to his parents house, and they'll get their hampers with PJs, a Christmas movie and Night before Christmas book before getting tucked in.

Christmas day morning is spent with in-laws opening gifts and then having lunch, and then afternoon is spent with my family opening gifts, and then dinner.

- I used to open one present on Christmas Eve from under the tree (from auntie) as it was PJ's, bath bits, chocs and slippers every year.
- Presents from family go under the tree and handed out after piled presents are opened
Now:
- Mine and OH's presents under tree, DD's in pile
- Inlaws will be coming around 6am to watch DD open presents
- Fry-up for breakfast
- Christmas dinner around 12-1pm
- Small buffet for tea
- Hot chocolate(+baileys) and yearly Christmas program (either film or Royle Family)

I want to do some baking with DD this year.

We've started a few of our own little traditions as follows...

Christmas eve we walk the dog altogether first thing, then put a nice stew in the slow cooker ready for dinner. If the afternoon we bake cookies for Santa and watch Christmas films. Then in the eve, lay out Santa's milk, cookie and a carrot for Rudolph on a special plate I painted.

Christmas day Lily (and Josh with our help!) will open her stocking with us (downstairs as we hang them by the chimney) and we'll have breakfast (using crossiants or something simple). Then we'll get dressed and start on some presents for the kids. We have decided to always host Christmas day (mainly cos I make the best Christmas dinner lol!!) And any family who want to join us are welcome. So mid morning the in laws will be around and we'll do some presents. At lunchtime (12pm ish) we tend to have baked Camembert, nice ham and bake in the oven bread, and have Christmas dinner around 5pm. The dog will get a quick trot by one of us when ever is convenient with cooking times etc!

Ah man, can't wait now!

I'm also thinking from next year (poss this year) onwards we'll start going to the panto in the week or so after Christmas. Not sure if Lily's old enough yet...

What's a panto? Is that a UK thing?

A pantomime. A large "play" a little like a nativity but based on published stories

These are our Xmas traditions we Have pretty much done every year since kids were born!! 9yrs now :)

Visit Xmas Market in Glasgow
Visit Lush and let kids choose their own Xmas bath bomb for their Xmas eve box
Go to George Square to look at Xmas lights
Outdoor Xmas Ice skating
Drive round looking at other houses outdoor Xmas lights
Brunch with Santa at Hamleys
North Pole breakfast on Xmas Eve
Give kids Xmas eve hampers in the morning after breakfast
Chinese Takeaway for Xmas Eve dinner
Sprinkle reindeer dust on drive way
Hubby leaves Santa foot prints once kids are asleep
Cover living room door with Xmas paper for kids to burst through in the morning :)

My boys are still young so we are still developing our traditions.

Last year we did these and will do these again this year

Santa just fills your stocking*
Everyone piles on to our bed to open stockings
Under tree presents from family and friends are opened after lunch*
Make cookies on Christmas Eve for Santa
Go to the church crib service on Christmas eve
Go and see Santa to ask for one special thing*
Go pick a real tree, have a pub lunch, then come home and decorate it

New ones for this year

We are getting an elf come to stay this year

* are ones we had as children that we have kept, luckily we had very similar traditions

Stockings first thing in the morning and then breakfast, walk and tree presents. This is going to be a big one for me when we have kids because I don't want them thinking it's all about the presents but family time as well (we are atheist so won't be introducing the religious part of it apart from explaining the basic background of how others believe it began)

Decorating the Christmas cake like an ice rink. Can't actually stand it but this is something my Grandma did with us when we were children and have done it myself since I moved out of my parents 12 years ago.

We also take turns in opening presents here as well. I think it makes it last longer for one thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"