Share your xmas traditions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stockings first thing in the morning and then breakfast, walk and tree presents. This is going to be a big one for me when we have kids because I don't want them thinking it's all about the presents but family time as well (we are atheist so won't be introducing the religious part of it apart from explaining the basic background of how others believe it began)

Decorating the Christmas cake like an ice rink. Can't actually stand it but this is something my Grandma did with us when we were children and have done it myself since I moved out of my parents 12 years ago.

We also take turns in opening presents here as well. I think it makes it last longer for one thing!

Not all religions believe it to be a religious holiday. I am very religious, go to the church of Christ, and we in no way believe Christmas has anything to do with the birth of Christ. It doesn't say that anywhere in the Bible, no dates are given surrounding the account of his birth. Actually, historically speaking, it didn't occur in December at all given the context of what is said surrounding His birth. To us, we celebrate it just as another man-made holiday, with the intents of giving and being with family.

Ever since I was a kid we would do 1 tea time present for Christmas day. The unspoken rule was that it was something that hadn't been asked for, or something that was unexpected and it was a special gift. It gave us all something to look forward to at the end of the day :) e.g. over the years, i've had money, tv, jewellery etc. I don't do it with my family anymore as we don't see them until tea time on Christmas anyway but i've started doing it with my OH and we'd like to carry on with our children :)

I used to go to the cinema on a Christmas Eve every year and loved it, my Dad and I (just us two growing up) used to walk home when it was getting dark and I can't tell you the excitement I used to feel knowing Christmas was the next day. Obviously that doesn't happen anymore but it's definitely something i'll do with my kids!

We also did new pjs and a take away! Ooo and on boxing day we still go to the shopping centre for the Christmas bargains. Boots is always our first stop, 50% off!

I love this idea! It's brilliant! I will be stealing :thumbup:

We read some christmas books at bedtime on christmas eve, put milk/mice pie/carrot out.
Christmas day we wake and I make sausage buttys, oh put the wood burner on (although we have just moved so don't have one this year :cry:) We watch dc open presents. DC and oh play while I stick xmas dinner in the slow cooker. Late morning we all get dressed and go for a christmas walk, we come back for around 3ish. DC play again and I sort out dinner for around half 3-4 :)

Stockings first thing in the morning and then breakfast, walk and tree presents. This is going to be a big one for me when we have kids because I don't want them thinking it's all about the presents but family time as well (we are atheist so won't be introducing the religious part of it apart from explaining the basic background of how others believe it began)

Decorating the Christmas cake like an ice rink. Can't actually stand it but this is something my Grandma did with us when we were children and have done it myself since I moved out of my parents 12 years ago.

We also take turns in opening presents here as well. I think it makes it last longer for one thing!

Not all religions believe it to be a religious holiday. I am very religious, go to the church of Christ, and we in no way believe Christmas has anything to do with the birth of Christ. It doesn't say that anywhere in the Bible, no dates are given surrounding the account of his birth. Actually, historically speaking, it didn't occur in December at all given the context of what is said surrounding His birth. To us, we celebrate it just as another man-made holiday, with the intents of giving and being with family.

Saturnalia is the roman winter solstice holiday, which involves lights (candles), kindness to all (including those of lower classes, such as slaves), and gift giving. It just so happens that it coincides with christmas and the two have kind of merged x

My family go out for a huge meal on Christmas Eve and my mum buys us PJs still and a little goody box to take home with us. It's rapidly expanded now to my SIL's parents coming and also by BFs brother and sister. Oh and my mums best fiend and her two teenagers.

It's a busy table at our favourite restaurant on Christmas Eve but I love it!

Then it's alternating years for us going to parents so it's breakfast and dinner at one and lunch at the other.

We've been a bit lax on the traditions but I'm determined to start some this year because DS is old enough to know what it's all about now (he'll be 3 in January) and he's really excited about santa.

On 1st December I'll decorate the house when he's at nursery, so when he comes home it'll be a big suprise. His elf will be waiting for him with a letter from santa and a hamper of goodies (his advent train, some olaf pyjamas, new slippers, a mug, sticker book, a few christmas books and DVDs to watch throughout the month). I don't think he'll quite understand the mischievous elf yet, so every morning the elf will bring him a chocolate coin, and on the days I'm not working he'll leave us a note about christmassy things to do that day. On xmas eve we'll bake cookies for santa and go for a walk on the beach (weather permitting!), and when we get home the elf will be waiting with another hamper (pyjamas for xmas day, special bath stuff, reindeer food, santa's magic key, santa's plate/cup and our stockings). Then when DH gets home we'll get DS bathed and into his new pjs, and then bring him downstairs to hang his stocking and do the reindeer food and santa plate/rudolph carrot. We'll be leaving his elf next to the plate holding the key for santa. Then when DS comes downstairs on xmas morning he'll find the leftovers from santa and rudolph's snack and his filled stocking will be waiting for him.

Next year I'm hoping to start with the letter to santa and trips out to panto and christmas lights etc, but I think he's still a bit young for it just now. The elf thing seems like something he can relate to, so I'm going to milk it for all it's worth this year lol! And next year the elf can get up to some mischief too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"