Shocked by doctor re: weaning

I dont understand why this has to turn into an argument! Mums will do what is best for their own babies. Even my health visitor said it. If your baby is showing signs of needing to be weaned at 4 months, then so be it. I have 3 older sons. The recommendations at the time was to start weaning at 3 months. None of them have suffered for this, have allergies etc. My dd and my ds were both weaned at 20wks, which is regarded as totally acceptable and according to my hv the earliest at the time that i should wean. I had big babies and they were very hungry. At the end of the day, its the mothers judgment and to balance it with recommendations..so why the argument/debate!?

Yeah, why debate it. I know lots of babies that are hungry at 4 months and their mums have introduced a bit of food. Others do it up to 6 months. You'll all do what feels right at the end of the day. The 4 month olds have come to no harm and neither have the 6 month olds!

I was weaned at 4 months and now I have Coeliac disease. I think I came to harm.

But this is why I love this forum. I would never have known about why the guidelines are at 6 months and probably would have just done what the doctor said instead of making the decision for myself. I heart babyandbump!

Me too! I didn't do any reading about parenting when I was pregnant and was soo close to weaning Ivy onto baby rice at 4 months until I suddenly discovered BLW just in time. I am SO happy I did because the whole weaning experience has been so fun and she is such a fantastic eater. Was at OH's parents last week and all his mums friends were standing around her amazed, one of them asked me the name of the BLW book so she could give it to her daughter. I was soo proud of my little chubby muncher :haha:

Also, these debates are so boring because its always the same argument of 'at the end of the day, mum knows best'. I'm sorry but I just don't always think this is true and its actually kind of a dangerous mindset to be in. Caring, loving mothers can also be very ill-informed.

Its not a debate, its a discusion, some of us like a civilised discusion. If you dont want to take part dont open the thread.

Yeah, why debate it. I know lots of babies that are hungry at 4 months and their mums have introduced a bit of food. Others do it up to 6 months. You'll all do what feels right at the end of the day. The 4 month olds have come to no harm and neither have the 6 month olds!

I was weaned at 4 months and now I have Coeliac disease. I think I came to harm.

But this is why I love this forum. I would never have known about why the guidelines are at 6 months and probably would have just done what the doctor said instead of making the decision for myself. I heart babyandbump!

Me too! I didn't do any reading about parenting when I was pregnant and was soo close to weaning Ivy onto baby rice at 4 months until I suddenly discovered BLW just in time. I am SO happy I did because the whole weaning experience has been so fun and she is such a fantastic eater. Was at OH's parents last week and all his mums friends were standing around her amazing, one of them asked me the name of the BLW so she could give it to her daughter. I was soo proud of my little chubby muncher :haha:

Also, these debates are so boring because its always the same argument of 'at the end of the day, mum knows best'. I'm sorry but I just don't always think this is true and its actually kind of a dangerous mindset to be in. Caring, loving mothers can also be very ill-informed.

WSS^^:thumbup:

I'm truly sorry for your experience! I really am. I think it quite obvious that I was saying the friends of mine who have given their 4 month old babies a little taste of food (and 3 month olds in one case) haven't come to any harm. Which is true!

I'm truly sorry for your experience! I really am. I think it quite obvious that I was saying the friends of mine who have given their 4 month old babies a little taste of food (and 3 month olds in one case) haven't come to any harm. Which is true!

just because they are ok now doesnt mean they will be in later life though:shrug:

I gave my 3 older sons food at 3 months cause that was the guidelines and they are absolutely fine!

Are the babies grown up now? Because you might not know yet if they will come to harm. I wasn't diagnosed with Coeliac disease til I was 21.

just because they are ok now doesnt mean they will be in later life though:shrug:

My 3 ds are 24 year old twins and my ds who is 22!! No intolerances whatsoever!

My 3 ds are 24 year old twins and my ds who is 22!! No intolerances whatsoever!

im not trying to argue about it, im just making the point that people say its fine to do because they were fine etc etc but intolerances can come on alot later in life thats all:shrug:

Also just because you know of a few people who were weaned early and were fine does not prove that years worth of research is wrong. Thats not how statistics work.

Louandivy, may I ask what ur LO does while eating that impressed everyone? Is it that she eats with a spoon, or can master finger foods? I am interested in BLW and am just wondering what sort of things they master at that age!!

Louandivy, may I ask what ur LO does while eating that impressed everyone? Is it that she eats with a spoon, or can master finger foods? I am interested in BLW and am just wondering what sort of things they master at that age!!

Well I was surprised by how impressed they were but she just pretty much eats everything and anything (hasnt quite mastered cutlery yet though!) They were shocked to see her happily munching on little pieces of courgette and pepper with pasta and then eat about 30 blueberries in under 5 minutes :haha:

You can say that because neither of us know. But it's a bit rude to say. I'm sorry you were affected badly, I think that if we did a survey there would be more that haven't been affected at all than that have. Some babies/children/people get sick for various reasons. That's always awful. But it doesn't mean that something is definitely bad.

To be frank, I dont really mind what others do. I'm not influenced by anyone. I'll do what my baby needs, I'll feed her food when she needs it.

You can say that because neither of us know. But it's a bit rude to say. I'm sorry you were affected badly, I think that if we did a survey there would be more that haven't been affected at all than that have. Some babies/children/people get sick for various reasons. That's always awful. But it doesn't mean that something is definitely bad.

i havent come to any harm, i didnt say i had:wacko: i also wasnt rude whatsoever. there has been lots of research done that has shown the problems it can cause thats all im saying.:shrug:

I haven't read all of the replies I see there are many and I am sure that some has already said it, but my HV said it is being bought forward to 4months, anything between 17-26weeks is the ideal time to start. Research shows that babies digestive systems are ready to digest more than milk at this age.

IMO its upto you as the babies mother to decide when to start weaning and I think women should stick to their guns about what they know is best for their child.

xx

If the survey showed that more people hadent been affected then the guidelines wouldent be in place. One of the things it can cause is IBS. How many adults will freely admit they have problems with their poo?

Also just because you know of a few people who were weaned early and were fine does not prove that years worth of research is wrong. Thats not how statistics work.

Scientists use statistics like drunks use lampposts, for support rather than illumination!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->