Shocked by doctor re: weaning

I think the people who make these guidlines up, dont have a bloody clue, they can stick their guidlines up their behind, ill do what I think is best for MY baby, thank you very much - 'professionals' pfft

Yes they are guidelines and you should do what you think is best for your baby, the guidelines are not just made up though, they are based upon up to date research and evidence, that is why these things change over time as new research identifies new benefits/risks with certain interventions. At the end of the day it is your choice to weigh up the evidence and make your own decision.

im still not bored of these threads! :haha:

at the end of the day, the guidelines are 6 months and I believe they are there for a reason, so I tried to wait until then but poppy was 100% ready at 5.5 months, to the point of stealing food off our plates, chewing and swallowing so I just went with it! I would never ever wean a baby earlier than that though, until the guidelines change, unless for medical reasons :)

at the end of the day, the guidelines are 6 months and I believe they are there for a reason, so I tried to wait until then but poppy was 100% ready at 5.5 months, to the point of stealing food off our plates, chewing and swallowing so I just went with it! I would never ever wean a baby earlier than that though, until the guidelines change, unless for medical reasons :)

I love these threads too :haha:

Now I can join in :happydance:

LO is just 4 months and I can definitely say that he is NOT ready to be weaned even though he has been waking up every two hours at night and draining BOTH boobs!!!

How do I know he doesn't need food? He is obviously after nourishment and there is far more calories and "good stuff" in milk so why would I want to give him anything less? He can hold his head but not sit up without support. He is interested in my food and if I gave it to him he would put it in his mouth - but EVERYTHING that goes in his hand goes in his mouth! He also isnt quite accurate enough from hand to mouth. He also still has a strong tongue reflex. For me, I'm waiting, not because I want to wait longer, but because LOs body is telling me he isn't ready.

Oooooh I'm loving these threads lol!

LO is just 4 months and I can definitely say that he is NOT ready to be weaned even though he has been waking up every two hours at night and draining BOTH boobs!!!

How do I know he doesn't need food? He is obviously after nourishment and there is far more calories and "good stuff" in milk so why would I want to give him anything less? He can hold his head but not sit up without support. He is interested in my food and if I gave it to him he would put it in his mouth - but EVERYTHING that goes in his hand goes in his mouth! He also isnt quite accurate enough from hand to mouth. He also still has a strong tongue reflex. For me, I'm waiting, not because I want to wait longer, but because LOs body is telling me he isn't ready.

exactly my view too. Ava-Mae watches me eat, but she watches everything i do. Her coordination isn't there yet and she still needs a lot me support. All there milestones usually coinside with being ready to be weaned.

I will wait till 6 months or as close as i can get to wean and will follow Ava-Mae's lead.

Sometimes i think it's sad that some parents are in a rush to wean as it's an exciting milestone. Personally i think my little girl is growing up too quickly already!

On another note, natsku have you seen how long this thread is? This is too long for a loser so not sure you belong in the loser club anymore! Haha! X

I'm sure I've read some of these responses from the same people a 1000 times before in a 1000 other threads! Yaaaaaawwwwwwnnnnn. I don't know why I even bother read it

I was weaned at 4 months and I've had issues with my weight, some allergies and eczema most of my life. Some babies may very well be fine that were weaned early, but there are still risks. There is risks with anything really, but you need to make your own decision based on doing ALL the research and go in knowing the risks etc. As long as you make an informed decision, then it's all good :)

I'm sure I've read some of these responses from the same people a 1000 times before in a 1000 other threads! Yaaaaaawwwwwwnnnnn. I don't know why I even bother read it

No offence but why bother then?

personally its doing my head in watchin the same people say the same thing ... if you dont agree with early weaning so be it. its the parents look out at the end of the day.

i WILL be weaning isobelle early, not because i am 'excited' but because I feel she is ready, milk just isnt enough for her. maybe if i made the choice to breastfeed the outcome may have been different, but i didnt and so these decisions have to be made. she is a bigger baby and needs more than milk but i have been advised HB isnt so good for them and was advised to start weaning early. im not excited in the slightest, she is growing up too fast, and i am scared she will choke etc. do i wanna watch my daughter be miserable for the next 2months because she is still hungry? NO.

fair enough guidelines and regulations are there because they HAVE to be "oh well no 1 told me not to wean my baby at 4months and this happened so its your (nhs, hv, dr) fault, am gonna sue" but they are not compulsory.

maybe we should keep weaning threads in the weaning section so anyone who wants to debate about it can do, out of the way of other users who just want a nice chat on here.

enough already

No offence but why bother then?

I agree. Those posts are so annoying and unhelpful! More predictable than any of the other replies on this thread :haha:

Im bored now and cant believe how mums are trying to scare other mums into saying that mums who have weaned around 4 months do not know yet if their children will have any future illnesses. Parenting is already hard enough without posting all these negative comments

and yes you might say it is advice but some people dont need such negative advice. some people just go on these threads because they think they are right. We dont know what is best for someone elses child.

Tbh, the only thing that annoys me about these threads is people's attitudes to previous generations' styles of parenting... yes, there's current research done that suggests 6 months may be the optimum time to wean, but even that is in so much doubt that we have thread after thread with people arguing over it.

Surely that has to show that we, as in this generation, don't actually have all the answers and it does bother me to see all previous generations dismissed as outdated and even harmful - people have been raising children for thousands and thousands of years, you know. We didn't invent parenting.

Weaning early onto solids is a very recent concept though; the victorians weaned onto solids between 6 and 9 months; some societies even later. So its a myth that weaning at around 6 months is some new fangled fad; it isn't.

Firstly I think that people forget that BC isnt just for old members. New mums come on every day and maybe these threads will be interesting to them. We may have seen and heard it all before but some people havent and they have the right to see a good ole debate in progress and may actually pick up some new info along with it.

Secondly, every mum is going to do what she's going to do. I personally believe that guidelines are there for a reason. Research is formed based on new evidence therefore the 'safe' response of 'never done me any harm' just doesnt cut it because maybe new evidence has been discovered since our mum's or even granmothers time that realises that there are risk to early weaning. I think it's pretty good that we have these guidelines. They arent set to annoy people, they are there for the good of the baby.

I think weaning between 4- 6months is totally fine. Any earlier (unless for medical reasoning) is running a risk but one that parent has to take responsibility for as it definitely is up to each individual.

xxx

Every parent wean their baby when they think they are ready (within reason obviously) I don't think the next person can tell you 'oh i weaned at 4.5 months' and it be the same for your baby.
The only person who really knows when their baby is ready,is you.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1348093/So-IS-safest-time-wean-baby.html

For anyone who wishes to read, also mentions coeliac disease. I'm not sure what I'll yet with Louis - I was introduced to purees etc at around 4 months but was also breastfed till I was 22 months... I've no allergies, food intolerances etc. Each to their own, I think mums know what's best for their babies

Firstly I think that people forget that BC isnt just for old members. New mums come on every day and maybe these threads will be interesting to them. We may have seen and heard it all before but some people havent and they have the right to see a good ole debate in progress and may actually pick up some new info along with it. xxx

Just wanted to say ITA with this :thumbup:
I attempted weaning at 4mo with my BF baby on OH's advice (dumb but he has a son from another relationship and they weaned him at 5mo, he was FF and twice the size of this LO so I don't know why I didn't object, I should have but I felt railroaded.)
Suffice to say it failed spectacularly, and I waited till 6mo like I wanted to do all along if everyone else hadn't been putting in their 2 cents. I wish I had waited now. It is so easy to be influenced by everyone else. Mine was a definite case of 'but we did it with so-and-so and he's fine' being pushed onto me and making me feel silly for wanting to wait. It's easy to get pressured into making unwise decisions.
If the facts are presented properly in threads like these a lot of new mums will be better informed than I was and hopefully won't be as railroaded by everyone else when they are well equipped with the actual facts and can stand their ground about whatever they choose to do.

exactly my view too. Ava-Mae watches me eat, but she watches everything i do. Her coordination isn't there yet and she still needs a lot me support. All there milestones usually coinside with being ready to be weaned.

I will wait till 6 months or as close as i can get to wean and will follow Ava-Mae's lead.

Sometimes i think it's sad that some parents are in a rush to wean as it's an exciting milestone. Personally i think my little girl is growing up too quickly already!

On another note, natsku have you seen how long this thread is? This is too long for a loser so not sure you belong in the loser club anymore! Haha! X

I've never had a thread last this long! I just wanted to rant about my doctor

Question to anyone who knows - the doctor also said that if her weight gain slows down again I should wean. I thought milk was the best for weight gain at this age, not solids. Am I wrong?

I was told for BF baby by my HV more milk instead of trying to wean until 6mo (another reason why I shouldn't have listened to OH, bless his cotton socks.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->