Short Luteal Phase?

Yeah I'm going completely natural this cycle... Only folic acid/multi-vitamin for me.

Me too, I wish I'd never started messing with supplements in the first place as there was nothing wrong with my cycle which was 11FP/16LP = 27 days, I think it was just trying to increase the odds and it didn't, it decreased them!

Then I got stuck in the cycle of early AF/having to take EPO again to delay O until my partner got home!

Me too, I wish I'd never started messing with supplements in the first place as there was nothing wrong with my cycle which was 11FP/16LP = 27 days, I think it was just trying to increase the odds and it didn't, it decreased them!

Then I got stuck in the cycle of early AF/having to take EPO again to delay O until my partner got home!

Yeah that's tough... Have the docs offered you any way to delay/speed up timing to coincide with your DH?

All that is on offer is the pill really, there is nothing technically wrong with my cycle just that my OH works away 2 weeks out of 4.

We've only been trying a few months but it's been stressful every single one of them wondering if he will be home in time to catch the egg, that when I hear people with partners in regular jobs moaning I'm pretty much grinding my teeth.

Doc said to come back in 6 months if not pg so another couple of months of this crap and I can go back I guess, since I have a regular cycle she is unwilling to mess with it at this stage.

Blimey. Yeah the ttc thing is hard enough in the first place without that stress!

My partner is around most of the time so that's cool, but in my case my body seems to be letting me down a bit - can't seem to improve on 9 days for LP, and I really don't think that's going to get it done for us - even if BD timing is perfect!

Grr, why can't life be simple?!?

Well honestly until I joined this forum I had never heard of a short LP being a medical problem, I know there's one lady on here that's already got 3 kids and only had a short LP, so I just wonder if it's really that big a deal.

Have you asked Mon (Mon n John) what progesterone she takes? I know she takes some.

Also I know that the first time I tried to shift my cycle dates (cycle 1 before I started this EPO stupid idea) I just started taking the minipill which is basically progesterone on 14DPO and it did the trick, took it for 5 days and got AF about 2 days after, you could always try that for a few days? That would certainly give you a longer LP, though it might knock your cycle around a bit, but as you say your partner is around so BD timing is not so critical?

From what I've read, a 'short' LP is 10-12 days, and yes, it's certainly possible to conceive with that (loads of examples on here). But sub-10 days is more usually classed as a 'defect', and that usually IS more of a problem. So at 7-9 days I'm certainly concerned...

I know the progesterone monnjohn is on, and it's prescription only... As would the mini pill be. Problem with that is my GP does not believe in progesterone as a solution (yeah, I know)... So those options arent immediately available to me. Hence the reason I'm pinning my hopes on the FS.

Hi Ya - Been reading the thread with great interest... as I also have a 9 day luteal phase which I can not extend at all by using supplement / progesterone etc...

Googly - I also have a FS appointment on Wednesday where I am hoping to get some possible advice - it will be interesting to whether they view a 9 day LP as a problem or not??

Would be interested to hear the two FS points of view!

From what I've read, a 'short' LP is 10-12 days, and yes, it's certainly possible to conceive with that (loads of examples on here). But sub-10 days is more usually classed as a 'defect', and that usually IS more of a problem. So at 7-9 days I'm certainly concerned...

I know the progesterone monnjohn is on, and it's prescription only... As would the mini pill be. Problem with that is my GP does not believe in progesterone as a solution (yeah, I know)... So those options arent immediately available to me. Hence the reason I'm pinning my hopes on the FS.

Hi Ya - Been reading the thread with great interest... as I also have a 9 day luteal phase which I can not extend at all by using supplement / progesterone etc...

Googly - I also have a FS appointment on Wednesday where I am hoping to get some possible advice - it will be interesting to whether they view a 9 day LP as a problem or not??

Have either one of you guys tried vitex? I know personally it moved my Ov'ed day up 1-3 days. If you keep the same cycle length, then you've got it made making it the LP 10-12 days. You'll need to share what (if any) recoo's the FS says though.

Also, progesterone is available OTC, but you'll need to find versions with the least amount of additives as the versions out there typically are for menopausal women, so they'll have stuff like black cohosh which isn't fertility-friendly. I'll post back the brand I found, but I just went to the local Vitamin Shoppe and read labels.

Hey! Was cruising LPDefect and this site suggested what I did re: vitex.:haha: https://www.thefertilityrealm.com/luteal-phase-defect.html

G'luck,
*SS*

Oh wow, yes, definitely! Should compare notes after...

Have either one of you guys tried vitex? I know personally it moved my Ov'ed day up 1-3 days. If you keep the same cycle length, then you've got it made making it the LP 10-12 days. You'll need to share what (if any) recoo's the FS says though.

Also, progesterone is available OTC, but you'll need to find versions with the least amount of additives as the versions out there typically are for menopausal women, so they'll have stuff like black cohosh which isn't fertility-friendly. I'll post back the brand I found, but I just went to the local Vitamin Shoppe and read labels.

Hey! Was cruising LPDefect and this site suggested what I did re: vitex.:haha: https://www.thefertilityrealm.com/luteal-phase-defect.html

G'luck,
*SS*

Hey SS, yeah I've tried both actually - have been taking vitex for over 3 months and haven't really seen any difference (Same for B complex actually - that seems to work for some people). And then this last month I used two different kinds of OTC progesterone and they weren't successful in lengthening the LP at all (in fact it ended up being shorter).

I think the thing is, depending on what is *causing* the fertility issue (LP defect or whatever), different supplements with have different effects on different people... it's just a question of finding the thing that makes the difference for you!

I would be inclined to continue with vitex because I know it acts over the long term (3+ months use) - so it MIGHT just be coming into it's own - but I also know it interacts adversely with Clomid and soy, and I would really like to try one of those next cycle - so I want to make sure my body is clear of it for that. If the FS says Clomid etc won't help me, then I might continue with vitex again, because I know there are an awful lot of good news stories with it!

G'luck,
*SS*

Hey SS, yeah I've tried both actually - have been taking vitex for over 3 months and haven't really seen any difference (Same for B complex actually - that seems to work for some people). And then this last month I used two different kinds of OTC progesterone and they weren't successful in lengthening the LP at all (in fact it ended up being shorter).

I think the thing is, depending on what is *causing* the fertility issue (LP defect or whatever), different supplements with have different effects on different people... it's just a question of finding the thing that makes the difference for you!

I would be inclined to continue with vitex because I know it acts over the long term (3+ months use) - so it MIGHT just be coming into it's own - but I also know it interacts adversely with Clomid and soy, and I would really like to try one of those next cycle - so I want to make sure my body is clear of it for that. If the FS says Clomid etc won't help me, then I might continue with vitex again, because I know there are an awful lot of good news stories with it!

What dose of vitex are you on? I think wherever you're at, it may be worth the while to up it. Are you doing vitamin B6 + vitex? I agree- you shouldn't do both the vitex + Clomid or soy + Clomid. Although, what's the point of the soy if LP isn't that long?

I am/was regular (before all my issues) at 29 day cycle/ 14+ day LP, so 40mg vitex was enough for me. Maybe look at 120mg or so?

*SS*

G'luck,
*SS*

What dose of vitex are you on? I think wherever you're at, it may be worth the while to up it. Are you doing vitamin B6 + vitex? I agree- you shouldn't do both the vitex + Clomid or soy + Clomid. Although, what's the point of the soy if LP isn't that long?

I am/was regular (before all my issues) at 29 day cycle/ 14+ day LP, so 40mg vitex was enough for me. Maybe look at 120mg or so?

*SS*

Hmm that's weird, my vitex comes in 400mg capsules I think? And have been taking 5 of those/day! (bottle recommended 3/day but I'd read about people taking way more) That can't be right... there must be some difference between then two. Will have to check!

This is the vitex I'm taking: https://www.healthy.co.nz/product/160-vitex.html

It does recommend taking it for 6 months.... dropping down to 1 x capsule a day after 3 months, i.e. now. Hmm, maybe I should continue it. Well, will see FS tomorrow, see what he says, then if no objections maybe I will persist with it.

G'luck,
*SS*

*SS*

Hmm that's weird, my vitex comes in 400mg capsules I think? And have been taking 5 of those/day! (bottle recommended 3/day but I'd read about people taking way more) That can't be right... there must be some difference between then two. Will have to check!

WOW!!! 2000mg? And no difference? :wacko: My vitex is part of a combo-pill though, but since the rest of the herbs only make up a minor part of the pill...maybe it's extract form.

Having taken herbs for all sorts of situations- I've found that some brands are more effective than others or that some seem to be fresher/more potent. There's also the factor about how you're taking the pills. Are you taking the pills with food or anything? With food- herbs diminish in their absorption ability because the acids in your tummy break it down before it goes into the bloodstream. That's what makes sublingual extracts so potent because they go directly into the system (since most are alcohol-based, they can sting a little bit while you hold them under your tongue, but you wind up taking much less).

There's also the time of day impact. For many- hormonally-influencing stuff is better at night not only because you don't deal with side effects during the day, but the body can process them with "less distraction". During the day our bodies need to divert energy to helping us see, walk. lol.

*SS*

WOW!!! 2000mg? And no difference? :wacko: My vitex is part of a combo-pill though, but since the rest of the herbs only make up a minor part of the pill...maybe it's extract form.

Having taken herbs for all sorts of situations- I've found that some brands are more effective than others or that some seem to be fresher/more potent. There's also the factor about how you're taking the pills. Are you taking the pills with food or anything? With food- herbs diminish in their absorption ability because the acids in your tummy break it down before it goes into the bloodstream. That's what makes sublingual extracts so potent because they go directly into the system (since most are alcohol-based, they can sting a little bit while you hold them under your tongue, but you wind up taking much less).

There's also the time of day impact. For many- hormonally-influencing stuff is better at night not only because you don't deal with side effects during the day, but the body can process them with "less distraction". During the day our bodies need to divert energy to helping us see, walk. lol.

*SS*

Hmm, complicated! I had been taking them after breakfast and after dinner... maybe that was wrong...

Well I think the answer for me might be to go see a naturopath/herbalist rather than self medicate from now on! Thanks for the suggestions anyway, will definitely think about different options...

This is the vitex I'm taking: https://www.healthy.co.nz/product/160-vitex.html

It does recommend taking it for 6 months.... dropping down to 1 x capsule a day after 3 months, i.e. now. Hmm, maybe I should continue it. Well, will see FS tomorrow, see what he says, then if no objections maybe I will persist with it.

Good brand.

*SS*

Hmm, complicated! I had been taking them after breakfast and after dinner... maybe that was wrong...

Well I think the answer for me might be to go see a naturopath/herbalist rather than self medicate from now on! Thanks for the suggestions anyway, will definitely think about different options...

If you do keep doing the vitex, do it 30min to 1hr before you eat.

G'luck!
*SS*

but I also know it interacts adversely with Clomid and soy, and I would really like to try one of those next cycle

Although, what's the point of the soy if LP isn't that long?

*SS*

Yeah I was trying to figure out if soy could help a short LP or not. Don't know if you've seen the discussion I've been having with Junebug over on the August testers thread, but soy seems it works by inhibiting FSH and LH production, and then causes a surge when you stop taking it so eggs are released. Not sure how that might help LP? But one of the possible causes of short LP is to do with follicle development or something, isn't it? So maybe it could help with that?? I haven't quite got my head round all the science/biology yet!

LancyLass said:
Yeah I was trying to figure out if soy could help a short LP or not. Don't know if you've seen the discussion I've been having with Junebug over on the August testers thread, but soy seems it works by inhibiting FSH and LH production, and then causes a surge when you stop taking it so eggs are released. Not sure how that might help LP? But one of the possible causes of short LP is to do with follicle development or something, isn't it? So maybe it could help with that?? I haven't quite got my head round all the science/biology yet!

I don't understand the biology either! But -- I have heard that they use Clomid for a way around a short LP, and soy is supposedly a 'natural' version of Clomid - ?

I will ask at my FS appt tomorrow and see what he says. Will let you know LancyLass - I know your LP is similar to mine...

I did take soy for my last two cycles in the hope of extending my 9 day luteal phase and getting my BFP!

Unfortunately it did nothing for my luteal phase or getting my BFP..

I did feel ovulation on the first cycle - which I don't normally - but that was about it...

However my second cycle on soy - I think ovulated very late in cycle (clearblue monitor gave me a peak) and then my temperatures never rised afterwards - so not sure what was going on.

Don't think I would try soy again.....

Starsign - I did try Vitex but only for 2 months - so maybe I need to use it for a more prolonged period of time / + increasing dosage...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->