Should/ Do you tip a hairdresser?

I do and I hate tipping them! Not just because I begrudge it since they're already getting paid for doing it (which I do), but because I'm soooo bloody awkward at tipping. I like to round up, but then they make it difficult by making the price an even number. So I feel like a twat saying "take an extra £2" but then I don't wanna give them a fiver if the cut only cost £30.
I tip at restaurants but usually I pay on card which makes tipping awkward again because I won't tip on card.
I tip taxi drivers (usually just round it up to the nearest pound, or nearest fiver if it's a big journey). But I won't if they're an arse and let me struggle with bags etc.
I won't tip takeaway drivers unless I'm paying cash. My mum always gives them money regardless but I don't. Only because I'd only tip them about a quid anyway, and it just seems strange handing a pound or so to an adult if it's not with other money, it seems dead patronising. Does that make sense :blush:

I'm the same. I HATE tipping. Not because of the money, I just don't know how to present the tip without feeling really awkward. but then I feel awkward if I don't tip - it's a viscous cycle.

Anyway, I resent tipping a little. I've worked plenty of minimum wage retail jobs where you never get tipped, and I don't think I work any less hard than a waitress or hairdresser :shrug: plus in the only waitressing job I've ever had, we weren't even allowed to keep our tips.

Me too!! I wish there was a rule for tipping (or not) different people, the only time I don't feel insanely awkward is in a restaurant as I know I'll generally be tipping 10%.

As said on a couple of other posts... tip the apprentice! They often work 12 hr days and minimum wage does not cover trainees. When I was doing this I earnt £50 a week and had to live off that (as I did not live at home was very hard!)

As said on a couple of other posts... tip the apprentice! They often work 12 hr days and minimum wage does not cover trainees. When I was doing this I earnt £50 a week and had to live off that (as I did not live at home was very hard!)

How would you go about doing this? Say if she/he washed my hair then when I was paying they were busy washing someone else's etc :blush:

How would you go about doing this? Say if she/he washed my hair then when I was paying they were busy washing someone else's etc :blush:

I'm not sure how others work but at my Aunts salon the tips are put into a bowl and they're split between everyone at the end of the day, even when I worked there one day a week just sweeping up I still got a share of the tips.

I tip everyone! Hairdresser, barber, taxis, bar staff, waiters! Not a huge tip, but a couple of extra quid if I feel I've had good service.... My Aunt left a fiver for a £50 lunch once (10% which is fine) and my tightwad Uncle was rummaging around for pound coins to swap it for £3 quid! I was mortified! He totally disagrees with tipping and we've had a few debates over it. At the hairdressers I tip £5 - £3 to apprentice and £2 to stylist.

I tip local independent hairdressers and I will tip if my hair was washed by an apprentice at a chain salon such as Francesca's. But I won't tip the stylist in a big chain as I feel I'm ripped off price wise anyway. (£100 for a trim and to redo my roots in black!!)

Having worked as a waitress I never expected a tip and it didn't reflect on my service. I tend to tip in restaurants if I'm part of a large group or if the service has been brilliant.

Most in our salon would just say "thats for the girl who washed my hair" and we'd pass it on. It was quite common, no-one found it rude cause general stylists know how piss poor it is to be an apprentice. The stylist might be getting minimum wage but technically the junior doesnt even get that.

nugget80 I dont know many people like myself or you that managed, i found most stayed with their parents and it was almost impossible to do it any other way. It was horrible but I enjoyed my job so i stuck it out

I hardle ever tip and I say that as someone who has worked as a waitress and in service industry. In fact most of the places I worked before I trained to be a teacher we were not allowed to accept tips at all. I don't go to hair dresses often as its so expensive. I cant afford to give tips and to be honest knowing that most food places have dirt cheap food and put huge mark up on it I don't always feel like tipping and when having a 10 minute trim where it costs at least £30 I don't want to pay extra. Its the businesses them self that are doing staff a dis service, you pay for the service in the cost. I have lived from pay packet to pay packet but I would never have expected a tip for doing my job and couldn't have afforded to pay it to others. I don't know many people who do tip

See I am a hairdresser, and yes I do get paid for doing my job just as much as everybody else, I never expect a tip. To be honest I enjoy my job I enjoy meeting new people and chatting.

Getting a tip is totally up to the client, but it's a lovely feeling when you get one. Even the £1 and £2 add up at the end of the day. Especially makes me feel warm inside like they're real happy with their hair.

But hairdressing is long hours and minimum wage, we work 2 late nights a week I get paid a lot less than my friends that do mon-fri 9-5 In offices ect. I know I could go get a much higher paid job but I probably won't enjoy it.

I see the point about people working in retail helping people and not getting tipped but doing a personal service for somebody wether it be hair or beauty it's more hands on and can be an hour minimum we spend with our clients (we are given a hour to cut and finish so clients don't feel rushed and can relax) that time you spend with the stylist should be all about you

But it's amazing to see comments on other people's views :) xx

no, I wouldnt, not after my mate whos a hairdresser revealing how much she makes..........she doesnt blooming need tips!!!!

no i dont, never have never will.
i also dont tip the person who is on the till when im shoppping, or the post man or the people in the paper shop etc
i used to work in a supermarket and i worked damn hard and still only got minimum wage, and i never got a tip from a customer so i dont really see why i would tip anyone who is already being paid to do a job. i know everyone has differing opinions on this but i just find it ridiculous.

I dont agree with tipping at all so i never do. I agree with the comment that im paying them to do a job so why should i have to? Imo it can give an employer a reason to pay an employee less. A wage should be paid by the employer and thats that. In the long run, it is the employer that will benefit from tips as it gets them out of having to pay the employee what they deserve!

We don't tip in New Zealand. And haircuts are expensive enough anyway.

I don't go to the hairdressers (do it myself as don't like other people touching me etc) but did tip when I went (even when I hated the hair cut :rofl:). I tip in restaurants, taxi's and the like.

I think it is a bit different in the UK as a lot of people are on minimum wage and that's the same regardless of if you are a hairdresser, waitress, work in a shop etc.

What atomic pink says about being a hair dresser, it is the same for all/most apprentices/those training for an NVQ. My brother was on similar wages as an apprentice mechanic and my sister the same as she was training in child care (NVQ).

no, I wouldnt, not after my mate whos a hairdresser revealing how much she makes..........she doesnt blooming need tips!!!!

I stopped tipping my last hairdresser when she was telling me all about the 5 star luxury holiday she had just booked in the Caribbean for three weeks while DH and I were scrapping together the money together to go away for the weekend!!

no i dont, never have never will.
i also dont tip the person who is on the till when im shoppping, or the post man or the people in the paper shop etc
i used to work in a supermarket and i worked damn hard and still only got minimum wage, and i never got a tip from a customer so i dont really see why i would tip anyone who is already being paid to do a job. i know everyone has differing opinions on this but i just find it ridiculous.

On the other side of the coin your supermarket worker on minimum wage generally is also benefitting from paid holiday and could go off sick and get ssp straight away.

Taxi drivers and hairdressers are quite commonly self employed, so they don't get holiday pay, it's a waste of time trying to claim sick pay as by the time we get it 6 weeks have passed and the urgency of the bills when we were actually I'll has long since gone

So when you say you wouldn't tip anyone being paid to do a job, there is a huge difference between the ACTUAL income of an employee compared with that of someone self employed.

I'm not saying people should tip or otherwise, as far as I am concerned I do tip, but I work in an industry where tipping is common, having said that if I get shite service I don't tip the person. Equally if I am happy with how I have been served in a supermarket, I make it very clear to the staff member that I appreciate that.

All the salons around here hire the staff as employees but that is something to think about.

The taxi driver thing I never really got the tipping thing with them until my brother was one and as you say he was self employed, plus there was a lot of waiting around. Yes some days he would do well but other days he would get way less than minimum wage, sometimes it worked out to be £2 an hour if it were a really slow day.

Yeah if I'm sick I don't get paid for it, I get 21 days holiday and that's that, when I am genuinely ill I feel I have to try get into work because of my clients, my boss, and also my wage packet! Thats 8-10 hours pay I need.

And no the employee doesn't benefit from our tips, we get paid A hourly rate regardless of our tips. We can go weeks without any isn't like we are "rolling" in it. If somebody could afford a lovely holiday maybe her partner has a good job or maybe she's good at saving!

I'm not sure how others work but at my Aunts salon the tips are put into a bowl and they're split between everyone at the end of the day, even when I worked there one day a week just sweeping up I still got a share of the tips.

I will never tip if I'm in an establishment where this is the set up. Sometimes I will tip the person who provided a service for me but never when someone that I probably didn't even see whilst I was there will be getting a cut of it. If I'm tipping my waiter/waitress I always make sure to ask that they get to keep their tips - if the answer is no, I don't tip or if there's a big bowl by the front door, I don't tip.

In hairdressers, I tip if I'm happy with what they do - sadly, that's not often! I usually round it up. If it's £17, I'll pay £20 etc.

The last time I tipped, someone had given me a groupon voucher for a haircut that they no longer wanted - I didn't realise it was for a simple trim and went in and asked for a full on restyle. The woman explained it and laughed with me but gave me the restyle anyway. She got a pretty generous tip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->