Should i really not be lifting anything?

Mummatobe

Mum of 1
Reaction score
Im getting fed up of people telling me not to lift things or no dont do that, or the best one your not doing it. Im not an invalid im only pregnant. Or am i just being a bit over sensitive? Should i really not be lifting anything? Im quite a independent person so i like doing things my way or doing it myself. Im 18 weeks this week :)

Of course you can you're not precious :rofl: I've helped move chests of drawers, glass desks, dog crates etc. I carry some heavy shopping bags when I have to also x

i carry big bindles of newpapers every week and im fine, i think it just gets harder when ur bigger

I'm also very independent and hate it when people try to tell me how I should be handling myself. Unless your my doctor then keep your mouth shut. But on another note I have heard that after 20 weeks we are not supposed to lift more than 20lbs. Although this is difficult for me to judge how much something weighs especially as light as this cause i'mused to having to carry 100lbs with one arm when I carried feed bags and I also worked stacking and tossing large hay bales. I think it is honestly one of those things that you just need to listen to your body about. It will tell you better than any statistic or doctor can what you can and cannot do.

35 lb 3 year old, it's not like I can't pick him up.

I lift things all the time... I carried the vacuum down the stairs last weekend and my hubby was all "what? you should have yelled at me I would have brought it down for you!"- it wasn't that heavy! lol. I can still do most of my "normal" activities!!!!

The ONLY things I would avoid are ones that may put strain on your back (for fear it get's hurt) or something you can't lift without pushing on your tummy... otherwise we aren't porcelain dolls! lol.

Nice to have people concerned... but ya, a bit annoying at times ;) haha. I had a woman at work say "you aren't working out anymore then right?"- um YES I AM! lol. Just not as hard- - but I won't stop unless Doc tells me I have to or I just can't anymore! haha.

nobody has ever stopped me from lifting things :( lol

my doctor told me don't lift more than 40-50lbs whats going to be really hard is after my c-section i won't be able to lift anything bigger than the baby and i have a 2 year old a 3(will be 4 by then)year old that won't like that...hopfully family will be able to come stay with me for 6 weeks

I'm still hefting around 50lb feed bags when I have to, among other heavy things. And sometime this weekend I'm going to be wrestling 100+lb sheep to worm them, should be fun! :haha:

I think as long as you're not lifting anything heavier than you were before you got pregnant, you're fine, especially before your tummy really pops. I have my next appt with my doctor tomorrow, I should try and remember to ask at what point I need to scale back on the heavy stuff.

i still lift. Mostly up to around 15kgs, and dont lean anything on my tummy anymore. OH insists on carrying the shopping tho, and who am I to stop him lmao :haha: x

I carry my toddler a lot :shrug: Just dont strain your back. There isnt really a MC risk or anything (atleast nothing rly worth worrying about) but obv hurting ur back during pregnancy isnt good and your balance is off too.

your ligaments loosen up a lot when youre pregnant Ive pulled my back a bit and didnt think I was doing much, you soon learn!

You're fine, I probably lift a little less than I used to and I just don't lift anything that is uncomfortable.
x

i on a daily bases have to pick up and carry my son who weighs just over 2 stone (around 30lbs) and im fine lol
ive also done alot of d.i.y and baby is fine, u will no when uve pushed urself

hehehe!! when i was preg with DD a work colleague wouldnt let me push a tall box of hangers on wheels to the back of the store to put in the lift to go upstairs, he said i could do the baby some harm if i done it, my response was the same as yours, 'im pregnant not a bloody invalid!' which of course got blamed on my hormones and still i wasnt allowed to push the box on wheels!

2nd pregnancy and people let me get on with it, if i ask for help they give me it, thats the way i like it :) anyway i carry DD whenever she wants a cuddle, i dont see why i shouldnt be allowed to do something like lift a watering can into the garden to water my flowers lol!

I work as a nurses assistant in a nursing home, so I lift people LOL If you feel it hurting stop, your body will let you know if it's too much

i lift things. i just don't lift stupidly heavy things & try to avoid unpredictable loads like crazy 20 stone patients on the ward. lifting when preggy doesn't cause miscarriage but it can damage your back because your ligaments are more relaxed xx

Oh, goodness. I'm considered high risk (pre-pregnancy blood pressure issues), and have been told not to lift anything heavier than 25 lbs. DD is 24 lbs, so I guess I'm still technically following the rules.
...But while pregnant with with DD I had to lift a 400+ pound ATV over a fallen tree, and I have no issues relating to that.

So I think it's more of a "know your limits" thing. Like, you wouldn't start running five miles a day during pregnancy if you've only ever run one before. So, if you're used to toting feed sacks or toddlers, I think it's completely fine for now.

And, let's be serious, by 35 weeks or so it won't be an issue. You won't feel like getting up off of the couch, much less lifting anything heavier than your own tremendous weight. Trust me. :haha:

every woman is different....your body knows how to adjust and howmuch to lift...but better not to take risk

people at work tell me this all the time too and im fed up with it. the other day another pregnand girl in the staffroom told me ishoulodnt stand in front of the microwave while i heat up my food....and a guy at work told me i really should not be wearing the "under the boob belt" so i replied im not pregnant up there so dont worry about it! my boss keeps coming in to my classroom and tells me to stop lifting ths and that and let my assistant do it for me, it gets on my nerves especially since she told another teacher that she didnt give a sh*** if im pregnant or not!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->