Should i really not be lifting anything?

I work as a nurses assistant in a nursing home, so I lift people LOL If you feel it hurting stop, your body will let you know if it's too much

Shouldn't be anyway! You'll proper do your back in. A girl on my ward really hurt her back hauling a patient up the bed :nope:

If its easy enough to avoid any lifting then do so.

I lift my daughter up/down the stairs, in/out the car - she is 25lb. I dont have a bump so it doesnt get in the way or anything. If I ever get to the point where I am hurting then I will stop lifting her.

Heavy shopping etc as well.

I would stop at helping out with house removals etc!!:flower:

I work as a nurses assistant in a nursing home, so I lift people LOL If you feel it hurting stop, your body will let you know if it's too much

Shouldn't be anyway! You'll proper do your back in. A girl on my ward really hurt her back hauling a patient up the bed :nope:

I agree, I really wouldnt be helping to lift anyone in nursing care. Your employer is irresponsible if theyre letting you.

My risk assessment at work said not to lift, push or pull anything major and after 14 weeks only lift up to 35lb and I had to follow lifting regs. Obviously, if youre at home or out of work, its your choice and we all do things we shouldnt.
X

my eldest weighs over 40lbs and i still have to lift him occasionally, and my younger toddler weighs over 30lb and i HAVE to carry him daily as he refuses to come down the stairs safely ( face first on his tummy is his style ) so gotta carry him downstairs in the morning and after naptime at least

I agree, I really wouldnt be helping to lift anyone in nursing care. Your employer is irresponsible if theyre letting you.

My risk assessment at work said not to lift, push or pull anything major and after 14 weeks only lift up to 35lb and I had to follow lifting regs. Obviously, if youre at home or out of work, its your choice and we all do things we shouldnt.
X

Even not pregnant you're not supposed to! Thats why we have hoists, glide sheets etc

face first on his tummy is his style

hahaha! love your sons style!! how fun!! i think il soon be doing the sliding bum along the stairs style as im ridiculously off balance and i feel im going to fall every time lol!
my DD jumps 2 steps at a time, literally jumps up ff the stair and then lands on 2 further down, its ridicuous! doesnt even hold on to the rail, I dont bother stopping her from doing it, we have spongy mats at the bottom of the stairs and at least we know she is ridiculously confident in herself lol! xx

X

Even not pregnant you're not supposed to! Thats why we have hoists, glide sheets etc

We have hoyer lifts for people who can't bear any weight, but for those who need transferred that's what we do, that's my job... if I didn't do it, I wouldn't have a job.... obviously I'm smart and if they are too heavy I have someone help me - I wasn't saying to go lift a 300 lb person by yourself :haha: just saying that it's okay to lift some if you're smart about it

I have to lift my 2 year old everyday and some times even my 30Kgs dog lol

X

We have hoyer lifts for people who can't bear any weight, but for those who need transferred that's what we do, that's my job... if I didn't do it, I wouldn't have a job.... obviously I'm smart and if they are too heavy I have someone help me - I wasn't saying to go lift a 300 lb person by yourself :haha: just saying that it's okay to lift some if you're smart about it

Eh? Do you actually LIFT them? Literally in the air? Where do you work :wacko: NHS? Moving and handling would go mad :shock:

Lifting stuff is absolutely unavoidable for me, I'm a SAHM, My daughter is heavy, I have to lift pushchairs etc all the time amongst other things. My pregnancy has been fine so far! x

Well.. I went into a meeting with the senior partner yesterday, he had reviewed a file, a lever arch file to be precise.. he asked me to review the tax situation and slid the file across the desk, then he promptly snatched the file back and said "I'll carry that for you".. ummmmmmm :dohh: It's a FILE!!!! I had to stop myself laughing and just said very politely that I felt i'd be fine carrying it... :rofl:

my sis is a carer and she's not allowed to lift people, and she's not even pregnant :shrug:

i helped move our new 4 seater sofa a few weeks back, just turned around at the last bit and used my arse to push it into place :haha:

Yup - Engineer here. Job has always been heavy - I have hand tools that stand taller than I do.

You'll know when you shouldn't be doing it - kinda pulls baby towards your back.

Just apply an ounce of common sense about it all - we all have different tolerances and different ideas of normal. You're the best judge, regardless of how work or others feel about it. :coolio:

Well.. I went into a meeting with the senior partner yesterday, he had reviewed a file, a lever arch file to be precise.. he asked me to review the tax situation and slid the file across the desk, then he promptly snatched the file back and said "I'll carry that for you".. ummmmmmm :dohh: It's a FILE!!!! I had to stop myself laughing and just said very politely that I felt i'd be fine carrying it... :rofl:

my sis is a carer and she's not allowed to lift people, and she's not even pregnant :shrug:

i helped move our new 4 seater sofa a few weeks back, just turned around at the last bit and used my arse to push it into place :haha:

I am finding the extra weight I am carrying Veeeery handy these days!

x

Me n hubby just moved with no help and we have 150lb shelves an oversized couch n alot more it wasnr an option to have hubby do it all. Its just knowing when to stop or when somethings to heavy you dont do it and borrow a dolly lol.

no I don't lift people into the air..LOL when I say "lift" i mean either hug them and stand them or if they are heavy have two people, one arm under each of their arms and lift them into the chair....

Thanks for all your responses its been really helpful... feel a bit better now knowing that im not the only person that feels that way. Thanks guys :) x

You should be really careful lifting heavy weight, my friend recently lost her baby as she decided to move the furniture round on her bedroom, it's not worth the risk is it! Just be careful no your not made of glass but you are carrying a baby and they advise not to lift for a reason. Nag over xx

It's BS about pregnant people not being able to lift heavy things. People can be pregnant and not know about it until they're in labour. Still manage to get on with everyday life, no problem.

no I don't lift people into the air..LOL when I say "lift" i mean either hug them and stand them or if they are heavy have two people, one arm under each of their arms and lift them into the chair....

oh i see your in america. See we're not allowed to do that over here. Its a huge NO and you can get disciplined and all sorts for it!

It's BS about pregnant people not being able to lift heavy things. People can be pregnant and not know about it until they're in labour. Still manage to get on with everyday life, no problem.

to be fair, it's not BS. Heavy lifting CAN cause really serious problems like placenta abruption and if that happens, your baby will die :shrug: Its one thing not to worry the OP but its another to make it out like there's no risks involved cos there most def IS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->