sick of the hospital, long rant

lisaboo79

Reaction score
so im a bit down, went for a scan on friday, and i was being scanned for about an hour cos they couldnt get a good doppler reading thing on the babies blood flow, so now they have to monitor that, ive got GD and the worry was that the baby was gonna be big, and now they are saying it may be a little small by reading the notes 5% smaller than an average baby at this time, meanwhile the baby is moving around like he is having a disco in there

so now i have to have, another scan on tuesday, 2 seperate appointments at the ante-natal assessment unit for doppler readings or something, 1 consultant apointment( which i have never had to wait less than an hour for) and one appointment at the diabetes clinic on thursday( not sure what this is for they have already decided what insulin and when during labour)

i cant believe how much time im gonna have to spend at the hospital, especially xmas week, a bit selfish i know, they are gonna induce me in 2 weeks but they have not given me a date, as 2 weeks would be new years day and they aint gonna do it then, and im well scared about having this sweep, i would rather it just happen naturally i just feel quite down about it all, sorry for the long rant

I'm so sorry you're going through all this.

What size have they given for the baby? Even growth scans aren't 100% accurate - there're some threads on here about that and how out they were when the baby was finally born.

You do know you can refuse any medical procedure, including sweeps? It's totally up to you to listen to the advice and decide what you want to do - are they inducing because they think the baby's too big or too small....or what?

they are inducing because of the diabetes, i think thats the only reason, the sonographer said the baby was a little small, the notes say by 5% but the consultant (3rd different one ive seen) didnt say anything about it! they couldnt get the blood flow reading cos he was moving about too much, thats why i was there for an hour, and because it was difficult to get the reading thats the reason for all the extra appointments, now im kind of feeling like the worry over the diabetes has made them give me the insulin and now thats why hes a bit small, i may just be being paranoid there though

Hmmm, that's not very helpful for you. 5% could be a deviation from the average or the lower end of the scale....or might even mean percentile! If I were you I'd ask them to go through everything in detail with you and don't give up until you've got the answers. You need to make sure you and the baby aren't going to be put through anything unnecessarily.

thank you for the advice, i tried to ask questions last time and tbh i know this sounds bad but i couldnt understand what the consultant was saying, she had a really strong accent i didnt want to be rude! im just not understanding why i need to be induced if the baby is a bit smaller, i have been reading up about it and it all seems a bit uncalled for, i guess i will just have to press them a bit harder

Yes, you need to write down questions so you don't forget and if you still don't get answers then ask your MW to go over everything with you.

I have absolutely no problem with induction and so forth, but I am always disappointed with how many medical procedures are pushed on mothers-to-be without their full understanding or just because it happens to be a hospital policy (quite often for their convenience rather than yours or your LO's wellbeing). The most important thing should be the health and safety of you and your baby.

Aww I'm sosorry you are having problems. Its so annoying that the info by hospitals is so inconsistant.

I am also sick of the hospital and can sympathise with you totall. Went to be monitored thursday and was there for 2 hours which i thought was more than enough. Then Friday I had to go and was there for 3 hours for a CTG as the Dr took ages to review me - he then asked me to come back in aft for a scan and monitoring again. Saturday was the worst. Went for a CTG which should have taken 30 mins. After being left on the machine for 3 hours because there were only 3 midwives I then waited 4 hours for a Dr to review it. I got there at 3pm and came out at 10. Now I have to go back mon tues weds and thurs grrrr.

You're more than welcome to come and rant to me about it.

Hi, its a shame they didnt go through the scan properly with you and why they want to induce you however considering you are being monitored xmas week means they must be worried about babys growth.

What does it say on the scan report? was growth below 5th centile? what about fluid around baby...was that normal?

You are seeing a cnsultant again so prepare some questions..whats the induction for? babys growth? poor dopplers? or GD? it may just be a combination off all...

try to cancel you appt with diabetic clinic if you can, they may not know that you are already being seen by the rest of the team.

Good luck!:flower:

the induction is because of gd, the fluid around the baby is normal, as soon as i found out i had gd i was told i would be induced at 38 weeks i assumed it would be because the baby would be big but thats not the case now, it doesnt say anything in my notes about the size, not that i can see anyway, and as i said the consultant didnt say anything about it just about the blood flow, and if thats being monitored i dont really understand why im being induced

Try and look at it as a positive that u are being well looked after.

I have been the same for 2 months now. I have to regulary attend the day bed unit to be monitored. see the consultant at the that clinic, haematologist, and mw clinic. and it is such a pain as i can be anything from 1-6 hours in each app. so i have to arrange baby sitters etc too. But im just thankful they are all doing the best for my LO

i am grateful of being closely monitored in one way, its more that i have been reading up on sweeps and inductions and most of the things i have read seem like they dont work, i have another scan tuesday so i will ask more then, and i will ask if an induction is absolutely necessary, thats if anyone will give me a straight answer

I was the same with connor, he had IUGR so was tiny and i had to have growth scans every 2 weeks and every tuesday and thursday i had to go and have a scan to check waters and blood flow to placenta and had to have ctg aswell and see consultant every time, i had a growth scan 3 days before i had connor and they estimated him at 4lb 14oz and he was born weighing 4lb 8oz so they wernt that far out but i have seen threads on here when they have been a lb or so out

I visit the hospital twice weekly as well, every Monday and Thursday until I give birth. The last couple of appointments have gone well, but baby fell asleep for a couple of them and wasn't doing her practice breathing, so I had to go on the monitors. She's measuring in the 10th percentile and they've been monitoring my fluid levels and the umbilical cord flow closely, but honestly I don't mind the appointments. I never got to see my baby in 1st and 2nd tri, now I get to see her all the time! :) (Poor thing looks just like me though... oh well). lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->