Single mommy by choice

Of course I wasn't saying that all children that become young parents, or divorce earlier, or get into drugs do so because they were missing a father. Of COURSE there are other factors that go into these sorts of things and there are ALWAYS exceptions to statistics. I didn't conduct these studies but I'm certain that if they are from the DHH that they were done by professionals who know what they are doing and how to do it

I see what you're saying, but my degree taught me to question statistics, and then question them again. If we didn't, well we might as well end most degrees and research projects now. If everything somebody influential wrote down was taken as fact, we would still be living in the dark ages and technology would never have progressed. Hell, we'd probably also still think the world was flat!

I know from my own research, that when it comes to social issues, the real picture can never be accurately painted. Think about how these statistics are collected, where do these researchers get their information? Either from people or from government spreadsheets. Neither are reliable, because people lie, people hide their past, people don't want to talk about their lives or how they got into the trouble they're in. Statistics are wasted when it comes to studying life because there's too many variants. That's exactly why you can't tar everyone with the same brush.

I'm geeking out here. I think I best shut up and get back in my box :dohh: :blush:

No argument there! I know NOTHING about how studies are conducted and what not but I do believe there is some truth to these things and they are interesting nonetheless..but I can see that sometimes they can be total BS.

No argument there! I know NOTHING about how studies are conducted and what not but I do believe there is some truth to these things and they are interesting nonetheless..but I can see that sometimes they can be total BS.

I don't think they're all BS, I just think that a lot of them can be really misleading. I do think that a lack of a father figure for some can cause those things mentioned, I just take them with a pinch of salt because I don't think that a lack of a father is the only cause. That's my big rambling point haha.

I'm having a right old geeky rant tonight, sorry :flower:

If thats what you say bdawn8403- then what the hell is this forum for????
Maybe you should just keep your opinions to yourself!!! I think you have just gone a little bit too far! You are not her mother so who are you to tell her what to do!!! Maybe you should question your maturity levels!!!
Enough said I think!

How is expressing your opinion wrong if someone asked for it? If you don't like someone's opinion then either don't ask for it or do not pay attention to it. Where are we not connecting the dots?

She didnt ask for opinions she wanted support. Her final words were ' I am happy' not 'what do ye think'....

Umm coming on here posting something means you are wanting "attention" and comments and opinions. I can't believe someone would come here posting that and think we'd all think it was 100% perfectly okay to do at her age and to not get an opinion from someone :wacko:

If you don't want anyone to say anything don't say anything yourself. When you post on here you open yourself up to opinions. How is that so hard to understand???

If thats what you say bdawn8403- then what the hell is this forum for????
Maybe you should just keep your opinions to yourself!!! I think you have just gone a little bit too far! You are not her mother so who are you to tell her what to do!!! Maybe you should question your maturity levels!!!
Enough said I think!

How is expressing your opinion wrong if someone asked for it? If you don't like someone's opinion then either don't ask for it or do not pay attention to it. Where are we not connecting the dots?

She never asked for opinions if you read properly - she has clearly made up her mind despite what anybody says! And I never said your opinions were wrong - I said you have gone too far and you shouldn't talk to her like that! Someone is clearly not connecting the dots!!

She never asked for opinions if you read properly - she has clearly made up her mind despite what anybody says! And I never said your opinions were wrong - I said you have gone too far and you shouldn't talk to her like that! Someone is clearly not connecting the dots!!

Talk to her like what? I told her flat out towards the end it would be a little harsh but that is what she needs!!! She needs a good kick in the pants about this whole thing. She is not thinking about it and just wants to fill the void. Do I know her personally? No. Would I tell her the same thing if I did? You bet!!!

Yes she made up her mind no matter what we said but why was she here to begin with. Who goes somewhere and announces that just to say it??? No one with their right mind. If she didn't want anyone on here to say something she wouldn't have posted to begin with. I think the post just shows she was thinking it wasn't an appropriate situation and wanted all of us to tell her it wasn't and when we didn't she got upset because she knew deep down that little voice was right.

She didnt ask for opinions she wanted support. Her final words were ' I am happy' not 'what do ye think'....

Umm coming on here posting something means you are wanting "attention" and comments and opinions. I can't believe someone would come here posting that and think we'd all think it was 100% perfectly okay to do at her age and to not get an opinion from someone :wacko:

If you don't want anyone to say anything don't say anything yourself. When you post on here you open yourself up to opinions. How is that so hard to understand???

when you say 'you post' do you mean in general terms or re you referring to me?? sorry just got confused there

Can I just ask bdawn8403??? What did you come on this forum for??

I have decided now is my time to begin my journey into motherhood!
I am single and 20 years old, and couldnt be more excited!
I will be using a donor, which im currently in the process of finding the perfect one! I will begin TTC in January and I cant wait!
I am a little nervous about doing the insemination by myself, I dont want to screw up but im sure my nerves will settle with time!
I have a blog that I write in daily and will continue for at least a year, and I also have a Youtube account to document my journey.
I am happy.

I don't see any questions asked here, just statements. I won't speak for her, but I assume she is looking for support and people with similar experiences, not criticisms. This post looks to me like she has made a decision, is excited about it, and wants to share it, not have all of us write 15 pages worth of arguments over it... I think we should all calm down :flower:

I hope ashlee ypu have got all the support you believe you have-because you will need it!!

Just wondered if you have everything in place financially as well as emotionally. I know at 19 I didn't have things sorted i.e. my own place to live etc.

Also, I have been lucky enough to be able to return to work part time after having ds as my mother in law and dh have ds when i work. If i was alone this would not have been possible due to the cost of childcare and me not earning enough alone to cover the bills and nursery costs. babies drain your finances believe me.

if you have thought this through and feel prepared I wish you all the luck in the world, but hope you haven't underestimated the change it will make to your life.

Things are never the same again (although i wouldn't change a thing!!!)

Is the OP even still here?

She hasnt said anything since page 11 when she said she would leave to find another forum... I know that was just yesterday but it would be silly for the argument to keep going when the OP isnt even on the thread anymore!

BTW, hopefully to lighten the mood, everytime I typed OP (and this time too) I keep typing OPK. Lol

I have decided now is my time to begin my journey into motherhood!
I am single and 20 years old, and couldnt be more excited!
I will be using a donor, which im currently in the process of finding the perfect one! I will begin TTC in January and I cant wait!
I am a little nervous about doing the insemination by myself, I dont want to screw up but im sure my nerves will settle with time!
I have a blog that I write in daily and will continue for at least a year, and I also have a Youtube account to document my journey.
I am happy.

I don't see any questions asked here, just statements. I won't speak for her, but I assume she is looking for support and people with similar experiences, not criticisms. This post looks to me like she has made a decision, is excited about it, and wants to share it, not have all of us write 15 pages worth of arguments over it... I think we should all calm down :flower:

I think your right. I came on here and felt like i needed to just speak up for this girl and say i didnt agree with some people (didnt mention anyone in particular )and feel like it has turned into something more personal ...

I wish everyone good luck and a happy time on this forum as it should be.
Im finished with this thread. xxxxx

Me too. I feel bad that we've driven the OP away from the forum :(

Talk to her like what? I told her flat out towards the end it would be a little harsh but that is what she needs!!! She needs a good kick in the pants about this whole thing. She is not thinking about it and just wants to fill the void. Do I know her personally? No. Would I tell her the same thing if I did? You bet!!!

Yes she made up her mind no matter what we said but why was she here to begin with. Who goes somewhere and announces that just to say it??? No one with their right mind. If she didn't want anyone on here to say something she wouldn't have posted to begin with. I think the post just shows she was thinking it wasn't an appropriate situation and wanted all of us to tell her it wasn't and when we didn't she got upset because she knew deep down that little voice was right.

Okay so you are driving me insane. Who are you to assume anything about where I am at in life? Just because when you were 20 years old you dont feel it would have been a good decision for you does not mean my situation is anything like yours. I really dont think this has anything to do with my age to be honest with you, I think you are flat out against single women choosing to have babies.
You say I asked for opinions however I did not ask for them, I do not expect everyone to think its as great of a plan as I do, however I did expect maturity and and women who could voice their concerns in a way that wasnt completely and utterly rude.
Which I must say most of the women who have replied to this have been kind, and with their questions they showed concern, not blatant disrespect for me.
You have done nothing but act like a disrespectful closed minded child. And to me that is ridiculous. This website is designed for women/mothers to group together and show each other support. Not drive people away from it because of how disrespectful certain members are.
Your behavior in this thread is disgusting. Im glad that it was me you chose to be an asshole to because you could have really hurt someones feelings.
You did hurt my feelings actually. But I am a very strong willed person who is not going to cower away in a corner because someone has an opinion. I took a step back yesterday because I choose to not let negativity impact my life and or choices.
Regardless of how YOU feel on this subject its not really your place to say anything about it, and to take it as far as you have just proves that you are not as mature as you claim to be.
I have every right to make life decisions for myself, and I am entitled to do as I please, I have said this over and over again, but I feel as though I need to say it again. I would never bring a child into this earth if I was not 290% sure that the child will have everything it could possibly need and more. I am NOT making an irresponsible decision, and nothing you or anyone else says to try and make me feel as though I am making a bad decision is going to change my decision.

when you say 'you post' do you mean in general terms or re you referring to me?? sorry just got confused there

You is general :flower:

Wish you the best. I'm young as well, 20 (will be 21 next month) and have been TTC with my OH of 5 years since January 2011. We have wanted a child for like 2 years now, but we wanted to wait until we were settled in a place and used to the whole living together situation. I don't see anything wrong with having a child at any age just as long as you are able to support yourself and your child without government assistance and are emotionally ready for it.

May I ask why you're worried about your family's reaction? Do you live with them? I'm kind of worried about how some of my family will react too.. but I know my mother will be over the moon. I'd tell her we were TTC.. but she'd bug me everyday :haha: You seem like a strong woman to choose to go through this on your own. Hope things go well with you, good luck :hugs: xx

Wish you the best. I'm young as well, 20 (will be 21 next month) and have been TTC with my OH of 5 years since January 2011. We have wanted a child for like 2 years now, but we wanted to wait until we were settled in a place and used to the whole living together situation. I don't see anything wrong with having a child at any age just as long as you are able to support yourself and your child without government assistance and are emotionally ready for it.

May I ask why you're worried about your family's reaction? Do you live with them? I'm kind of worried about how some of my family will react too.. but I know my mother will be over the moon. I'd tell her we were TTC.. but she'd bug me everyday :haha: You seem like a strong woman to choose to go through this on your own. Hope things go well with you, good luck :hugs: xx

Awww good luck getting your little baby!!! And absolutely no government assistance will be used, that would be very very wrong of me to do :)
Im not so much worried about their reaction to me getting pregnant, as I know they will all be super excited to add another little one to the family! However im unsure of the reaction they may have to me using a donor! I know its something not everyone understands fully and its not something anyone in my family has ever done! Also I dont want to tell them until I am pregnant because just like you they will all bug me at all times bombarding me with are you pregnant yet? lol! I just think telling them before i conceive would add a little bit of stress to the already stressful process :)

I don't know where you are but I will say that in the UK a job will only give you maternity leave if you've been there a year so you may want to wait until you know you'll get paid while your on maternity. :flower:

I don't wish to judge, I wouldn't want to be a single parent because I saw how hard it was for my mum but you should choose your own path.

Good luck :thumbup:

Awww good luck getting your little baby!!! And absolutely no government assistance will be used, that would be very very wrong of me to do :)
Im not so much worried about their reaction to me getting pregnant, as I know they will all be super excited to add another little one to the family! However im unsure of the reaction they may have to me using a donor! I know its something not everyone understands fully and its not something anyone in my family has ever done! Also I dont want to tell them until I am pregnant because just like you they will all bug me at all times bombarding me with are you pregnant yet? lol! I just think telling them before i conceive would add a little bit of stress to the already stressful process :)

Thank you! They seem to be very supportive! :) Are you still living at home? Sorry to hear about all the negative comments, don't leave BNB :hugs: xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->