So tired - Bad backache & can't sleep

sw121

Mum of 1
Reaction score
My sleeping hasn't been great since about 10 weeks of pregnancy, and the last two months it's been because of hip pain. I barely slept last night and now I'm up again tonight.

The problem tonight though is different - I suddenly have really bad backache and also some pain in my lower abdomen on the left hand side. It's so bad I've hardly noticed my hip pain.

I'm getting really paranoid that something is happening as the MW at my antenatal class said early labour feels like bad period pains - and I always get bad back ache at the start of a period - but surely it's too early for anything to be happening?

Plus I'm just exhausted now - I really need to sleep, but I'm in agony when I lie down. It's much better now I'm sat up, but I can't sleep sat up - LOL.

Does anyone have any tips?

I don't have the pain in my side, however I do have SPD and it's impossible for me to sleep laying down because it hurts sooo bad. I've also been dealing with lower back aches through out the day. The only way I can get any sleep is in the recliner chair. Not the most comfortable but atleast then my hips aren't in agony.

I'm sorry I don't have many tips even though I know what you're going through. A lot of people have recommended a pillow between the knees, under your bump an behind your back while laying down...but that didn't help me one bit.

Just to say I am in the same boat - have only slept for longer than 3 hours ONCE since Christmas (that's like 20+ weeks)... It's worse now, and hip and back pain are to blame. I also wake up with my bump feeling solid and very painful. I should also mention the swollen fingers and feet, and the pins and needles in my hands. Oh, yeah, and the heartburn.

I went to bed at 11.30 last night, slept quite quickly and then woke just before 2 am, tossed and turned and gave in after 2 hours and just got up instead of trying any more. I really would love to just sleep for more than a couple of hours at a time, even just once before bubba arrives.

I too worried that I was going into labour, but have had these same feelings (and contractions) for over a week now and nothing has started.

I have no tips or advice, as I have tried everything myself, to no avail!

I had this a few weeks ago and I was tested for a UTI. Common symptoms of it include hip pain and pain in the lower abdomen.

My urine culture showed no bacteria growth, so I'm not sure if I actually had one or not. Either way, the pain left after a few days. I used Tylenol for the pain but nothing really helped - except sex. I know you probably aren't up to it, but I found that after having an orgasm, my muscles contracted and felt much better.

Hope I helped, if all else fails - tell your doctor! :flower:

I must have spent about £100 on pillows over the past months, and they don't seem to make a bit of difference. I was referred to physio for my hip pain, but found she was worse than useless.

I also get pins and needles in my hands, although this has changed to my fingers being very stiff when I wake up. And yes, I also get really bad heartburn - I constantly have a bottle of Gaviscon by the bed!

I have an appointment at diabetes clinic today and with my own midwife tomorrow, so I'll ask them if there's anything else I can do - I just want to sleep for more than 2 hours in one go!!

I was referred to a physio for hip pain. She basically said 1 in 5 pregnant women get hip pain and you will be ok as it should go away after the birth. This was useless to me, I wasnt getting any sleep, was crying at night because it was so sore and I was so tired. I took some advice and visited a chiropractor. It was the best money I have ever spent. She is fully trained and qualified in treating pregnant women. She was able to tell me that one side of my pelvis was restricted and the other was having to 'work' harder to compensate. I have had 3 sessions with her and while my hips are not perfect they are 100 times better than before, the pain is gone except if i try to do anything silly. I can honestly say she has made the last 4-6 weeks of my pregnancy much more bearable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->