Spanking kids can cause long-term harm

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is having an opinion that smacking is not for them, and then there is making a claim that it is child abuse. I am sure that would rile quite a few mothers.

There's a difference between having an opinion and calling other parents here abusive. It would be like a parent who spanks saying that parents who don't spank are failing their children and raising criminals - totally uncalled for and untrue.

Or to put it in a more similar way - it would be like saying putting a child in time out is false imprisonment.

I don't get anyone who would ever say that spanking is okay. It's abuse. You're laying your hands on a child in anger. It is NOT okay to teach a child that sort of aggression.

Just my opinion, I'm sure others may feel different, and I respect that ^___^

Really? :dohh: I think it's pretty rude of you to say that someone spanking their child is ABUSE and more so offensive to the parents on here who have said they do or will spank. Calling them abusive! Wow.

It is abusive behavior from parents that should know better and take the time out to explain to children why they cant do this and that. Its not on the grand scale of battering your kid but it is on the lower end of that scale why not be on that scale at all?. I know that will rile some but if your partner slapped you it becomes abuse children deserve the same rights to.

It is fine to have your opinion, but exactly as nat said you are making a 'claim'

You are saying, I 'abuse' my child and 'i should know better'.

Which is aimed at me of course because I did admit that I 'spank' my child! Have you ever thought that some parent that do 'spank' their child are not exactly proud that the discipline measures had to be taken that farr? Did that ever cross your mind at all??

Or how about what you are claiming I 'abuse' my child,....have you ever thought that is maybe a strong word to use when talking about someone elses parenting! Honestly it is fine to have an opinion yes, but don't come on here and tell me I abuse my child and I should know better.

And to think you posted 'this will rile some' looks like you were after a reaction to your post. Well there ya go. :thumbup:

To those who call spanking child abuse- Here's a question: Are you weaning your child before 6months and therefore abusing your child?? Because *some* women in this forum will tell you that weaning early can damage the digestive tract of a baby and set them up for gastrointestinal problems later in life. I'm not one of those people, I weaned my LO prior to 6 months. But if you believe what the research/WHO says then go ahead and give them solids early does that make it child abuse?? Just throwing it out there :shrug:
In fact let's add CIO to this!! Neglect, emotional abuse, being "cold" towards your child because you suffer from mental illness.... Yada yada yada...
Nowhere else on this site would it be tolerated to accuse another mother of child abuse because of her parenting choices!

I don't get how it's ok to say people can have an opinion and then take offense to it.

There's is a difference in having an opinion about something and making accusations like some parents are abusive. :thumbup:

That's what I get for not reading all of the replies before responding, :haha:

I smack mine if it is necessary, but to be honest I haven't had to do it in ????? a year maybe?? Just a little sting to get their attention and remind them I'm running the house not them.

It is fine to have your opinion, but exactly as nat said you are making a 'claim'

You are saying, I 'abuse' my child and 'i should know better'.

Which is aimed at me of course because I did admit that I 'spank' my child! Have you ever thought that some parent that do 'spank' their child are not exactly proud that the discipline measures had to be taken that farr? Did that ever cross your mind at all??

Or how about what you are claiming I 'abuse' my child,....have you ever thought that is maybe a strong word to use when talking about someone elses parenting! Honestly it is fine to have an opinion yes, but don't come on here and tell me I abuse my child and I should know better.

And to think you posted 'this will rile some' looks like you were after a reaction to your post. Well there ya go. :thumbup:

Its how I see it. Its my opinion. I know it riles smackers but its just my opinion and observation. It is abusive to smack any one how can you deny this? And its aimed at any one who smacks kids. It is used to control, even someone else said that in a post here they have to show whos running the house. Adults do that to their partners to and its not acceptable.

I think hitting your child in any form is abusive. If your child cries out in pain, then you have hurt them, and how is that different from abuse? It's the lazy man's way out from parenting. "I choose not to take the time to teach my child this lesson, so I will hit them instead". Use your words, not your hands.

That's my opinion. I'm not asking anyone to like it. I don't care if you do. But if you want me to respect yours, which I do as you are entitled to whatever thoughts you like, then you need to respect mine. You feel different from me, and that's okay.

This thread will just end up going in circles. I think there are lots of effective ways on paper on how to discipline a child. What is less clear cut is we are all dealt different children with different personalities.
I really don't think ANYONE on here would use smacking as a first option but as a very last resort after using different techniques.
I think its all too easy to sneer and make accusations of child abuse when you have children which DO respond well to a verbal telling off or other such measures.

I think hitting your child in any form is abusive. If your child cries out in pain, then you have hurt them, and how is that different from abuse? It's the lazy man's way out from parenting. "I choose not to take the time to teach my child this lesson, so I will hit them instead". Use your words, not your hands. That's my opinion. I'm not asking anyone to like it. I don't care if you do. But if you want me to respect yours, which I do as you are entitled to whatever thoughts you like, then you need to respect mine. You feel different from me, and that's okay.

Excuse me? first of all I don't know who you think you are calling my parent 'lazyman' parent, seems you just wanted to get on here to throw out hurtful comments well good for you but doesn't mean I need to take them.

Abuse- would be hurting a child, causing physical PAIN. A simple tap on the bum is not going to be pain, I think it would hurt more falling on the ground on his bum.. get over yourself!

For 1 my son has never been physically HURT by a 'spank' you are acting like I am beating him, no its a simple tap on the bottom to show I am serious. He does not cry because he is 'hurt' you are rediculous to come on here and jump at me saying I am doing 'lazyman' parenting abusing my child and don't teach my child a lesson.

If you took the time to read the posts that said they did spank, them maybe your replies would make more sense, none of us that spank our kids ever do it out of anger or do it to inflict pain on the child.

Yes you may have your opinion, but this is clearly an attack at me, and no I am not going to take it.

I could go on about your parenting style.. I could go on how you are going to raise a criminal because 'statics say so' but guess what I have more respect than you to get onto your level.
:flower:

You spank a child, the child cries and holds his bottom, his bum is red and he doesn't want to sit on it for a while afterwards. How does this not cause pain? And why would one spank their child if they didn't intend to cause pain?

Again, I reiterate. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. There is no one way to raise children. But I think we would all agree that no-one wants to hurt a child.

And why do people like to claim someone is aiming at them? I am barely even looking at names right now.

I take my leave of you all. Silliness!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back