Spanking kids can cause long-term harm

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was smacked as child but i cant remember it in the slightest so for the way my parents done it it hasnt affected my life.
I understand some people go badly hit but mines was just as last resort and my mum says it was only about 3/4 times

If cameron does something dangerous and doesnt understand it i will do what is nessecary :shrug: i think now hes too little so i will prevet it eg he loves the oven cause of his reflection but i dont let him near it when its warm and when its not and we are in the kitchen he goes stright to it so i talk about it saying it gets hot and mummy says no for your own good, i dont think he understands yet but at his age now i can try my best to prevent stuff happening, however in a few years i dunno what he will be like so im not compleletly against it

I was spanked as a child and I am still afraid of my mother...I am 34 years old :)

I find it sad that people who do believe in spanking, often think that those who aren't spanked aren't disciplined and walk all over their parents. It's such a shame that these people believe that spanking is the only way to discipline, and makes me wonder if they have even done any research into disciplinary measures before getting pregnant and instead just resort to how they were raised, even though research is pretty clear, it isn't the best way.

I don't think all people think this. I also don't recall ANYONE saying that spanking is the ONLY way to discipline and believe most said it would be use as a last resort. I think this post is rather rude assuming that no one has done research before becoming pregnant just because they say they will spank their child.

To answer Whit's question, I intend to use redirection and reasonable consequences when my son is old enough to understand them. I have worked with high risk children and these methods worked, even though they were hard to handle.

Thank you Lauki. :flower:

Thanks for answering. But, like I've said - sometimes not all disciplinary actions work the exact same for every single child - high risk or not.

I don't find instilling fear in a child a very effective parenting method. Mutual respect can be given. I'm a bit shocked that you believe fear is effective.

I don't think any one who spanks is doing it to instill fear.

I was spanked as a child and I am still afraid of my mother...I am 34 years old :)

How old were you when you were spanked? I posted a link early on that said something about the ages of the spankings and the effects it could have - depending on age.

If they're still misbehaving when teenagers, you didn't spank them enough!

God I hope you are joking! That sounds sadistic!

I hope so to, just had to check I wasnt on The Wright stuffs facebook page there :dohh: :haha:

Not all kids needs spanked ya know. It is a control thing spankers have to admit that, you hit them to alter their behavior.

I find it sad that people who do believe in spanking, often think that those who aren't spanked aren't disciplined and walk all over their parents. It's such a shame that these people believe that spanking is the only way to discipline, and makes me wonder if they have even done any research into disciplinary measures before getting pregnant and instead just resort to how they were raised, even though research is pretty clear, it isn't the best way.

I don't think all people think this. I also don't recall ANYONE saying that spanking is the ONLY way to discipline and believe most said it would be use as a last resort. I think this post is rather rude assuming that no one has done research before becoming pregnant just because they say they will spank their child.

I have bolded the bits where I believe I made it clear that I was talking about some..and there has been plenty of posts on this very thread where people are implying that people who don't spank have kids walking all over them and not disciplined...so, no I do not believe I am being rude, and I am sorry if you feel that way. I belive that people who say that kids who aren't spanked aren't parented in a manner that will raise them to be respectful and good kids with discipline are being rude. Yes, some people did say as a last resort, and some did not. If you re-read the threads, I am sure you will see it for yourself. Clearly you don't agree with my stance on spanking, but I am not being rude in any way. Where I am from, it is actually against the law to spank, hit, or tap any child under the age of two.

I'm not for or against spanking. If you would re-read the thread, you would know that too.

I'm not going to say I would never spank, because I don't know if I will. The words you made bold don't mean much to me, honestly. "These people", you mean other parents who choose to discipline their child different from you?

Anyway, I'm done. I don't really care what anyone does with their kids.

I'm not for or against spanking. If you would re-read the thread, you would know that too.

I'm not going to say I would never spank, because I don't know if I will. The words you made bold don't mean much to me, honestly. "These people", you mean other parents who choose to discipline their child different from you?

Anyway, I'm done. I don't really care what anyone does with their kids.

cool, well, I can honestly say that I won't spank...but kudos to you. I don't care what you do with your kids either, but I do have a right to say my opinion on here...and I never said you did or didn't...and I never quoted that you did, ever. :flower:

:thumbup:

I like that you edited your post, I should have replied before you changed it.

You do have a right to post your opinion - doesn't mean it's right or I have to agree. :flower:

why, what did it say??? I dare say you are the one being rude now.

How am I being rude?

You did edit your post, right?

yes, I did..I did a typo. I have taken this to PM because I don't think anyone wants to see bickering, and not only that, I fail to see the purpose of your replys to me. You feel one way, I feel another. No need to go personal.

LOL! I think BC has enough ranting multiple paged threads going on. Nice to distribute the bickering!

I don't get anyone who would ever say that spanking is okay. It's abuse. You're laying your hands on a child in anger. It is NOT okay to teach a child that sort of aggression.

Just my opinion, I'm sure others may feel different, and I respect that ^___^

If you took the time to read the posts, you would see the ones that said they did 'spank' their children , did NOT do it out of anger!

Also everyone has a different opinion on abuse- so thank you for yours and thank you for the put down :thumbup:

I don't get anyone who would ever say that spanking is okay. It's abuse. You're laying your hands on a child in anger. It is NOT okay to teach a child that sort of aggression.

Really? :dohh: I think it's pretty rude of you to say that someone spanking their child is ABUSE and more so offensive to the parents on here who have said they do or will spank. Calling them abusive! Wow.

Really? :dohh: I think it's pretty rude of you to say that someone spanking their child is ABUSE and more so offensive to the parents on here who have said they do or will spank. Calling them abusive! Wow.

oh come on we are all grown women and mothers.everyone has strong views on this we shouldnt take offense.

if i need to il spank my child.id make sure i wasnt angry at the time.Id prob do it couple of times in there life.my mum did it twice with me and both times i deserved it.this was not 'abuse'.
Having said that to use spanking as you discipline in my opinion is wrong.It should very rarely come to this.

I personally feel my brother could have done with a spanking maybe he wouldnt have gotten away with so much and now be a full time criminal!

I had a dream last night that I spanked my 21 year old niece-in-law. I blame this thread.

I don't get how it's ok to say people can have an opinion and then take offense to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"