Spotting week before AF every month - anyone else?

Thanks, ladies. I'm definitely wary of all the herbal things people talk about here. Most have not been tested for efficacy or safety. I know there are people who think herbal interventions are necessarily safer and preferably to prescriptions, but I don't adhere to that mindset.

That said, once the real spotting (8 dpo, right on time!) started this AM, I did pull out the progesterone cream and slather some on. I've realized that logically it shouldn't affect spotting; spotting derives from the corpus luteum--which is what produces progesterone until the implanted embryo makes it own,--breaking down prematurely. Thus, progesterone shouldn't affect the spotting, just replace the progesterone that the corpus luteum should be making.

I'm calling the doc tomorrow to see what she thinks. I'm expecting her to not want to interfere before my 6 months of trying are up, and frankly I don't think my insurance will cover it anyway. She had never heard that lubricants can have spermicidal properties, so I'm not wholly confident in her, although I liked her very much.

tlm, I'm so sorry this hasn't worked for you yet! That must be very frustrating. Good luck with your IVF--when do you start? And thanks for the tips. I'll definitely keep them in mind (especially if I can get the doc to think about early intervention!).

MrsP--so when you got your BFP, were you using any intervention or supplements at all? That's fantastic!

pbl - GL it's worth a try asking your OB. My OB said oh it's normal, so I didn't get my progesterone supplements until I went to my RE, who always prescribes progesterone since there's not really any such thing as too much progesterone.

The schools of thought are that the LPD can be caused be a weak ovulation, so clomid/femara/stims stregnthening your ovulation produces a good corpus luteum and therefore should produce enough progesterone to keep your lining from shedding early. For me, that wasn't the case, and it wasn't until supplementing w prometrium (vaginally, similar to tlm) that my spotting stopped.

I took and kept taking b vitamins, though I'm a vegetarian, so I need them for other reasons as well. I also had a vit D deficiency that I take D vits for. I had tried vitex for a period of time (around 6 months ttc) but didn't feel like it did anything, so I stopped.

Welcome, pbl! Regarding the spotting and going to your OB, I got off of BCP in May, and made an OB/GYN appt in Sept for spotting. I mentioned that i was trying to get pregnant, but told her the real reason that I was there was not to help with infertility yet, but to try to get rid of my spotting because it was a huge nuisance for my sex life (spotted from 1 DPO until AF, and DH wouldn't touch me during then), and I was also worried that it could potentially interfere with getting pregnant. So i had my Dr thinking 2 things: 1. get rid of spotting and 2. Don't prevent pregnancy while doing so. She was very receptive to that, ordering blood tests and prescribing progesterone before the blood test results were even back, since she said thats the most common reason for spotting. So long story short, i wouldn't feel bad about going to your OB about your spotting, just make sure she knows its not because you are worried that you aren't pregnant after only 3 months of TTC, because then he/she may blow you off.

Thanks, ladies! I didn't see chloe's advice until after I made the phone call, but my ObGyn agreed (via an assistant) to run a prog test. They're sending the requisition form, whatever that is, so I should be able to go in and get the test soon.

Here's the kicker: I got this voicemail, and I called back to ask if there was a particular day in my cycle she wanted to see me. The assistant put me on hold for a while, and came back to say that the doc had said that it didn't really matter what cycle day it was, so I could come in whenever. :dohh: Does that inspire confidence? Or should I take it to mean that she'll simply take into account my cycle day when interpreting my progesterone levels?

What I've learned (I think) is that my doc is accommodating, but perhaps less knowledgeable than one might hope. So long as she'll trust me this could be just fine, as I have a research doctorate (and biomedical training, although I'm a social scientist now) and can read the literature as well as she can.

Sooooooo, I guess I pick my own cycle day. Based on daydream's advice, I was thinking 7 dpo. Alas, I'm 9 dpo right now, so this means waiting a full month. :growlmad: Would you advise anything different?

I'm a vegetarian, too, btw--actually vegan 95% of the time. I'm wondering if I should stop taking the B100, as it's a LOT of B vitamins that I probably don't need, since I'm taking a regular prenatal and I'm not aware of any deficiencies.

I'm so glad for this thread of experts!!!! :hugs:

I would definitely do it sometime after O, so you're best bet is probably to wait a month, pbl. My doc also did not wait for any specific cycle day, but based on charting i'd say i had mine tested around 10 dpo and she didnt seem to care which day it was, just that it was after O. that's my 'expert' opinion, :)

pbl - I would wait until 7dpo comes around again. It will be the most accurate.

Also I would continue some form of b complex vitamins given that you are a vegetarian/vegan. I used to take Stress B-Complex from Whole Foods, which has 50mg B-6 and 25 mcg of B12. I can't remember how much is in my prenatal, but I don't think it's very much. I've had a suspicion that the vegetarianism contributed to my spotting. My best friend also recently went vegan and started complaining about spotting.

Pbl, I have a clomid baby on board though it took me 8 months on it! I can't be sure I ovulated every time as most women don't ovulate every month, but I know cycle #1 on it I ovulated fine so can only assume... but apart from the clomid (which I know is major) I didn't take anything but folic acid. I stopped opk'ing a few months ago & stopped checking my cervix so I couldn't know for def when I ovulated & therefore couldn't monitor the spotting so much. This was all on the advice of my FS who I had no faith in :rofl:.

As the other girls have said, I would also suggest you wait til next month for your day 21 bloods x

pbl-glad you are running prog. tests!! I think being proactive if you have an intuition that something just isn't right, then I agree you should get as many needed tests as possible! I am glad I pushed my OBGYN-I actually even got my annual OBGYN apt. done 3 months early and I think she knew why-I wanted more ttc help/answers as to why it jsut wasnt happening for dh and I being so young and healthy....this is why we got dh's S.A done before the year mark of ttc and why we may get our BFP with IVF next month-our 1 year anniversary of ttc...ahh!!

lupron shot is due tonight....between 7&9 so since DH may be giving it to me, I have to wait til he gets home from work and showers.....about 2 hours left!!!! I am nervous =(

lupron shot is due tonight....between 7&9 so since DH may be giving it to me, I have to wait til he gets home from work and showers.....about 2 hours left!!!! I am nervous =(

GL! You just have to get through the first shot and the rest are a piece of cake after that. You're so close to your BFP! I can't wait!

Heylo girls - I've been stalking your thread for months as a "spotter" and have found it so helpful as you girls have an amazing attitude. I just wanted to say I'm a chronic spotter with ? low progesterone - always uncertain. I spotted as usual at 6dpo this month and then it stopped at 10dpo and I got my :bfp:. It's v early days but I just wanted to throw in some positivity and to just say don't give up hope - even if you think your cycle is bust for this month. Take care and baby dust to all :dust:

Thanks, Nurse, and congratulations!!!! :dance:

AFM, I'm still spotting this month, but it's MUCH less. Not sure I'd even notice it if I weren't TTC and paying such close attention to these things. So maybe the B100 is doing something for me.

:dust: to all!

Heylo girls - I've been stalking your thread for months as a "spotter" and have found it so helpful as you girls have an amazing attitude. I just wanted to say I'm a chronic spotter with ? low progesterone - always uncertain. I spotted as usual at 6dpo this month and then it stopped at 10dpo and I got my :bfp:. It's v early days but I just wanted to throw in some positivity and to just say don't give up hope - even if you think your cycle is bust for this month. Take care and baby dust to all :dust:

Congrats!! :happydance:

Congrats nursesooz! :happydance: thanks for sharing!

So I had another scan today :dance: & baby is looking more like a baby now :) will post pic when I'm on the laptop. Measuring 9 weeks 2 days so looks lke they'll end up putting me back 3 days. Boo I want to be a prune on Friday! :growlmad: but it makes senses considering I ovulated late.

Hope everyone's ok. Sorry for the spotting pbl

x

Nurse: Congrats! It is so great to get more stories of spotters that get their BFPs! I got mine a couple of weeks ago (so also still in very early days) and had spotting from 9 dpo-11 dpo then it stopped. BFP a few days later! Fingers crossed that both of us have sticky beans!

Mrs. P: Glad to hear baby is looking like a baby! I can't WAIT for that day to come for me. I had a scan yesterday at 5W2D, but all that was there was a yolk sac and gestational sac, of course. Now I wait two more weeks for my next scan and the anxiety is almost killing me! I keep following your story for home because you are just about 4 weeks ahead of me.

Almosthere: How are you feeling? Did you start Lupron yet?

PBL: Welcome and glad your spotting is decreasing! I echoed what everyone else said about 7 dpo labs and staying away from herbal remedies...but maybe it's working for you!

So glad to hear b

Goodluck, almost!!!

And, Hope, it must be the oddest thing ever to look at a scan and see a non-human-shaped form while knowing that a whole human is growing there! Congratulations, and good luck!

Totally! Almostthere, are you having any side effects from the lupron? When do you go for the egg retrieval? This is so exciting!

Congrats, Nurse! Hope you have a H&H 9 months ahead!

Almost - thats exciting that you are on your 3rd shot already! can't wait to hear how it all goes :)

MrsP - that 9 week ultrasound is cute! Baby has a head, body and limbs...definitely starts looking babyish :)

My mom just bought me the cutest pink newborn clothes with little kitties on them. I about melted. And I think we are going to buy a house! We already have a house, but DH and I want to move to better schools and the perfect house in the perfect neighborhood came up. Needs some work, but that's even better so we can customize it to our liking. Only issue is that means i'll probably move in when 9 months preggo. ugh! Can't do anything the easy way ;) Now we just have to put in an offer and hope they accept!

clhoe-I may be moving into a house at about 9 months as well if ivf works as I would be due end of may/beg of june! DH and I almost purchased a home around this time now, but we decided with IVF and me about to start a job, and him trying to sell his sports car (my baby would not be safe in that car!! lol) that it just was not the right time. Best of luck with your new home, did you officially get it yet or still need to put in an offer? So exciting!!!

hope-no side effects which is fantastic-I mean, perhaps slight cramping right after but for a very short time....4th shot is due tonight. Also, no huge bruises just a super tiny dot of one-good thing as my friends will see me in a bikini come Saturday!! I am still in early stages of IVF although have been on bcps for it for almost 3 weeks now! I have a predicted week for my ET and ER for the first week in Sept!!! I know it will be here before I know it and I will get my results prob mid/end of Sept...ahhh!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->