Storing breastmilk, advice please?

Rachel89

Reaction score
Hey everybody!

I would like to pump from the beginning due to low supply. Last ti,e I was not able to pump a lot. For that reason if it would be the same this time, I would like to collect all the milk I pumped in 1 day into 1 breastmilk storage bag.

If so, can I do that and freeze it? And if I do that then should I keep all the bottles in the fridge, wait for the last bottle,to be at the same temp as the rest then put them all together in the breastmilk storage bag and freeze? Is it ok also to freeze after them being 24 hours (at least the first batch) in the fridge?

Thank you so much everyone!:flower:

U can get milk freezer bags which are really good. I think u have to freeze your milk within a couple of hours. But if u pump again that day u can add it to the one u put in the freezer earlier that day. Frozen milk lasts for 6 months

So I can add the fresh breastmilk straight into a bag of frozen breastmilk from the first day? I thought they were supposed to beswme temp when adding them together?

Milk should be the same temp when you combine it but can be from different pumping sessions. You don't have to freeze within a couple hours, but within several days. https://www.llli.org/faq/milkstorage.html

Avoid adding fresh into frozen if the amount of fresh is greater than the amount of frozen. You do need to cool before adding it to the frozen milk.

There's conflicting info about if it's okay to add fresh into refrigerated without cooling it first, but I do this every day without issue. Some places say it's fine as long as it's within the same 24 hour period. This has been my experience.

Always go by the date of the oldest milk if you're combining milk from different dates.

It is OK to add small amounts of breast milk to the refrigerated content within the same day but avoid adding warm milk to the already refrigerated milk.

Use the stored breast milk within 2 days otherwise it will lower the quality of fat in breast milk and great loss of vitamin C.

It is better to always use the fresh breast milk without storing it. Storing breast milk is the next best alternative solution only when breastfeeding is not possible.

Thank you everyone for the wonderful advice.

They say that you should let the milk cool before putting it in the fridge. How long would it take to cool down? Sorry very new at storing breast mik lol.

Thank you everyone for the wonderful advice.

They say that you should let the milk cool before putting it in the fridge. How long would it take to cool down? Sorry very new at storing breast mik lol.

For the milk to cool down, it depends on the quantity of milk and the room temperature or you can keep the expressed breast milk in the fridge or freezer immediately.

You can also store it at room temperature not more than 25°C for up to 6 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->