Superstitions...have you ever heard of this?

GdaneMom4now

IVF/ICSI TWINS/PREG #3
Reaction score
My sister in law saw a bunch of baby stuff in our basement that my family bough or gave to us, they're excited to have another baby added to the fam if I could ever conceive. And she said it's bad luck getting baby stuff before you're pregnant...I saw two really nice carseat/stroller sets for cheap and they were her friends so I figured they would be honest about if they had been in car accidents or anything and they were super nice...and only $75 and $80...I texted my husband and told my SIL about them and she goes, no, you want to get that stuff new for your baby...then she added the "it's bad luck to buy baby stuff before you're pregnant" again!! I have never heard this...has anyone else, and what are your thoughts on it? :shrug:

I've heard a million things, not sure if any of them are true though, I even got rid of every baby item I had a couple of years back because people kept telling me that as soon as I got rid of everything I would get pregnant, didn't work out so well, but I am superstitious, I'll NEVER say out loud that I think I may be pregnant, I never say that I think I'm getting ready to start my period I never do a LOT of things, lol, afraid I'll "jinx" myself. But so far all that's gotten me is paranoia!

I've heard people say this before too. TBH I won't buy anything and haven't bought anything yet as i'm not pregnant and i just feel like it's tempting fate? I know it sounds silly but i can't help feeling that i would be jinxing it if i started buying baby things.
I also knew of a couple who were ttc and bought everything for their baby and i mean everything, and did the nusery up ready - this was before she even fell pregnant. It took them a few years to finally conceive a baby.

I have heard of that, i dont believe it superstitions at all (broken mirrors, black cats, walking under ladder etc) If you arent superstitious then go ahead and buy what you want. I personally wont be buying anything till 12 weeks incase of a mc and it would break my heart to see loads of baby things going about. xx

I have heard of that, i dont believe it superstitions at all (broken mirrors, black cats, walking under ladder etc) If you arent superstitious then go ahead and buy what you want. I personally wont be buying anything till 12 weeks incase of a mc and it would break my heart to see loads of baby things going about. xx

I'm not incredibly superstitious...and I haven't bought anything, it's things people have given to me, but when I see a good deal I don't want to pass it up as I've heard and seen how expensive strollers and carseats are!! that would've been the first thing I bought...except lakers baby shoes a lonnnng time ago that I couldn't pass up on ebay (they were way cheap too!) for the way I was going to tell hubby that we were expecting...but that was before we were trying. I have them all stored in a storage closet in our finished basement.

I once had my SIL message me through fb talking about all the baby clothes she was buying for me before she realized she didn't know what I was having. I quickly replied... um I am not pregnant and this was way before my husband and I started trying. I try not to buy things but I have a dress I bought on sale but it is tucked away and out of sight. I know my mom has some stuff for me but I told her not to tell me about it.

Its all about what you believe in, if you dont believe it then its not bad luck if you do believe it then you dont want to tempt fait.

I didnt buy anything before becoming pregnant and even when I was pregnant I kept getting told its bad luck to buy things like buggys and cots beforehand.
I didnt go for the whole not buying it because I didnt want to end up not having the stuff I needed once he was here but I did refuse to have it in the house.
My main reasoning was if somthing went wrong I couldnt bare to come home to a house full of un needed baby stuff.

I say buy it if you have a place elsewhere to store it like in a family members attic so you know its there for when you one day need it but you dont have to think about it and keep seeing it.

I'm not incredibly superstitious...and I haven't bought anything, it's things people have given to me, but when I see a good deal I don't want to pass it up as I've heard and seen how expensive strollers and carseats are!! that would've been the first thing I bought...except lakers baby shoes a lonnnng time ago that I couldn't pass up on ebay (they were way cheap too!) for the way I was going to tell hubby that we were expecting...but that was before we were trying. I have them all stored in a storage closet in our finished basement.

Baby shoes are the one thing i find sooo hard to resist buying!!

Some people say it's "tempting fate" by buying things before your pregnant.

I bought a lovely sleep suit and I see it as a "good luck" item hehe, I will hopefully have use for it one day :)

This post reminded me of a video I watched on you tube the other day. A girl with pcos surprised her hubby with a little baby hat that said ... will be born in .... so obviously she went out and bought that hat beforehand to someday surprise him with that. I have a couple unisex sleepers put away but I guess it's if you're superstitious or not. I don't think it'd do any harm to buy a couple things on sale or something. But I would never decorate a nursery without being pg. I figure if I can't have kids someone I know will and I can give them the things I've saved.

I'm not superstitious at all, but I think it would be hard to have baby stuff and no baby. TTC and all that goes with it is a constant reminder, but having all those cute clothes and toys in view would break my heart every month AF visits.

I think it is just superstitious. You could also view it as don't tell anyone your preggo until after the baby is born. KWIM?
I told everyone about DD as soon as I found out. When I found out the gender than I began shopping. With this pregnancy I am trying to keep it a secret until I have my first MD appt, the only real reason why is because of my ectopic in Jan.

In ways I believe it but then again I don't. I would not buy big things, but I have bought these beyond cute socks. I could not help myself. Original price $39 and I got the, for $4!!!
You can't go overboard unless it sticks and your in the "clear", then go nuts.

I dont know about buying before hand but when I was pregnant with my first my mum bought my pram and OH's mum bought the nursery furniture. When the things got delivered my mother-in-law took the pram to her house (she stayed across the road at the time) as she said it was bad luck to have the pram in the house before baby was born. I had a good rant about this to my mum but she back up my mother-in-law saying she believed that too. Yet we had everything else in the house. Second time round I still had all baby stuff

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->