Sweep today (37+3) - updated (couldn't be done :( )

jellybeanxx

TTC #4 since 12/2020
Reaction score
I've got a sweep today ahead of my induction on Monday. I'm not getting my hopes up as I know it's unlikely to work at this stage but I'm still a bit excited in case it starts something as I would love to avoid induction.
I'm also excited to find out what's going on with my cervix (bit of a weird sentence - the wonders of pregnancy!), hoping there's something going on there as if I do end up being induced it'll at least be easier if my cervix is favourable!
My appointment is at 9.40 then I've got the health visitor coming round after (nervous about that but that's a whole other story!). Will try to update when I can!

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flower:

Come back and let us know how it went!

Well I got there and it was the midwife I don't like (we had to complain about her after the last time as she failed to book my 28 week appointment when she said she had, gave me someone else's test results and also told us the NHS antenatal classes weren't running when they were).
Anyway, she attempted the sweep but said my cervix was too far back to manage it :( she did say it was very soft though which is at least something. She was quite negative about it before trying though saying how unlikely it was to work but if I wanted her to try she would.
Just hoping that my cervix still being high doesn't mean the induction will fail next week!

Noooooo!!! Oh Jelly I am gutted for you!!!

I think you've been very unlucky getting that midwife, what a shame :growlmad:

Soft is really really good as it has to soften before it dilates, so don't be too disheartened - its going in the right direction! Is baby engaged?

xx

She said he was 4/5 so he's started engaging but not got that far! At least he's moving in the right direction :)
How are you feeling after your sweep? Anymore cramping?

Get bouncing missus! As he gets lower it will help everything along. You've got a few days to really help him along and encourage him to get down so don't lose hope.

Did she manipulate the cervix at all? Mine didn't seem to think there was much point in trying my sweep when she saw in my notes that the consultant had suggested it (and I think she was surprised at my progression!) before she tried she did say that if it was unfavourable she could manipulate it though - stimulates the prostaglandins apparently.

A good statistic to remember is that about only 15 per cent of inductions started with an unripe cervix fail, I think that is really promising (and yours isn't unripe - its soft and ripening!) :thumbup:

Well I've felt like cr*p ever since! ha ha!! I had a really rough afternoon and evening, I felt so tired and uncomfortable. I didn't sleep too well - anxious I think. And I woke up feeling as tired as I was before I slept, achy, headache and very crampy. I am still bleeding and losing little bits of plug. I feel almost flu-ey. I managed a sleep from about 9am till 10.30am and I do feel a bit brighter now. I've got my anesthetist appt this afternoon and I am hoping the walk will get things moving. The sweep has definitely stirred something up though, I feel different that's for sure. I've read that the bleeding for 24 hours following is a good sign.

I suppose I'm not pinning hopes onto labour starting on its own (as much as I would love that!) but I am happy that things are moving in the right direction.

Wish you had had better news today but I am sure you're not too far behind!! :hugs:

Oh jelly I have my fingers crossed that it gets moving in the right direction, before your induction. Did you request a sweep or was that just offered to you? I'm booked in for induction next weekend, but there has been no mention to me about a sweep, at my last appointment with the MW she just said I was 3/5ths engaged! I just assumed a sweep would be offered always? X

Oh jelly I have my fingers crossed that it gets moving in the right direction, before your induction. Did you request a sweep or was that just offered to you? I'm booked in for induction next weekend, but there has been no mention to me about a sweep, at my last appointment with the MW she just said I was 3/5ths engaged! I just assumed a sweep would be offered always? X

Hi Mintey, another one for induction next week!! Exciting!

My consultant suggested a sweep at 37w (yesterday) which she knew was my last appt before my induction (next Tuesday) and in my notes it just says 'S+S 37w' so check your notes just incase. But normally they will do one at the last appt before induction as it can help things along (and also its helpful to the midwifes at the hospital to check progression) so if you have a 37w check ask for one if you can X

I was told you need to have your consultant put it in your notes if they want the midwife to do a sweep as otherwise they don't normally do them before 40 weeks.

I'll be getting on my ball again today, I love that thing anyway. Going to make curry for dinner tonight too for good measure!

Bebbe - that all sounds like positive signs, very exciting! Not fun that you're feeling so rough though, hope you start to feel better soon but keep up with the labour signs ;)

Mintey - best of luck with your induction!!

Thanks ladies, I have a consultant meeting next Wednesday but at my last appointment with the midwife, she said no point in booking in with her next week as I'll be seen in the hospital and she would see me at home after the baby is here, I'll deffo ask about it on Wednesday though, as just checked notes and there isn't anything in there that I can see about a sweep! Strange.. I'll be stalking you ladies to see how it all goes with you, best of luck :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->