Swimming

A

AppleBlossom

Me and OH are taking Grace swimming tomorrow. She absolutely loves the water and goes mental in the bath splashing and kicking so I can't wait to take her. I was just wondering though if it's ok to let her go under water? I know that sounds like a stupid question. She isn't bothered when water gets splashed in her eyes and I've heard that while they're still young, babies have the ability to know to hold their breath underwater. Also what's the maximum amount of time you should let them stay in the water for and once they're out can they go back in again? That also sounds like a stupid question! I heard around 20 minutes is enough all in one go as they get cold easily

Oh, good questions! I have no answers mind....will keep an eye on tis for some! lol
Doesn't the holding the breath under water thing disappear some time after birth tho? Thought it was one of those newborn reflexes? That said, there's a baby swimming firm that takes photos of your LO under water so they must be holding breath right?

Just got back from swimming and I dunked Marlowe's head underwater. She was a bit shocked, but she did have the reflex to hold her breath. I was with a couple of other mums too who did it and their children held their breaths as well.

One of the mums takes her daughter to swim lessons and they were telling her about the diver reflex.

It's fine to put your LO back in the water just take her out when you see she is looking cold. If she's up for it again (and warm) go ahead and put her back in.

i swear i red the first 3 months are the best under water thing....but i cud be wrong xx

Oh good, I want to spend more than 20 minutes there so hopefully she'll want to go back in! I think the newborn reflex is if a baby is born and put underwater before they take their first breath they are able to actually breath underwater... or something like that!

I heard that you need to blow in their face first as it makes them take a breath in, you could practice at home in the bath just hold her under for a split second so she gets used to it?

about putting her underwater... i asked my HV about this once.. havent took her yet though! She said if you blow in her face a little first she will instinctively hold her breath then you can put her under, she may get scared though as she isnt used to it. And if she breathes underwater she will choke so be sure to pull her right back up!

Have fun

:happydance:

I used to blow in Marlowe's face and then wait a second before dunking her, but I tried it without blowing today and it seemed to work too. I don't know if she's just learned not to breathe from previous times or what.

taking maddi swimming is the best thing ever, hope you have a wonderful time bexy, we normally stay in the water for about 30mins at a time. maddi loves it too, she was also a big fan of the bath :cloud9: we always bath maddi as soon as we get home to remove chlorine etc so this is something you may want to consider. we are starting our swimming lessons on the 4th nov - can't wait :) have a wonderful time with her :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->