The Big Thread of FAQ

Ok my question is...
How big is my Uterus at X Weeks?

I've found loads of sites telling me how big my bean should be, but very little about my uterus, which I'm curious about since I'd guess I'd notice that first - and isn't it the early growth that causes some of the cramping :s ? Here's all I've managed to find... ;)

Not pregnant - 3 to 4 inches long
https://www.sharedjourney.com/define/uterus.html

Week 8
grapefruit.
https://www.womenshealthcaretopics.com/pregnancy_week_8.htm
or maybe peach :S
https://www.robynsnest.com/weekbyweek.htm

Week 9
sac is size of hen's egg (not sure about uterus? am i being stupid?)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/parenting/pregnancy_calendar/week.shtml?9

Week 12 - 20
Moves up from pelvis.
https://www.babyandbump.com/pregnancy-first-trimester/96060-uterus-moving-out-pelvis.html

growing at approx 2 fingers breadth per 2 weeks
https://www.i-am-pregnant.com/img/womb-12-40wks.gif

Week 18
small mellon, can be felt below belly button
https://www.visembryo.com/baby/18_weeks.html

Week 20 - birth
growing at approx 1 finger's breadth per 2 weeks
https://www.i-am-pregnant.com/img/womb-12-40wks.gif

measure from top of uterus to pubic bone - "1cm=1wk of pregnancy in general but up to 3cm off in either direction."
https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090528154957AAYmtcM

Week 25
football ("soccer ball" ^^)
https://www.pregnancyhut.com/25-weeks-pregnant/

I guess I'm most curious about the early weeks, where it's really hard to believe that there's actually anything there :) It's nice to be able to visualise what might be going on - and while the embryo/fetus is being measured in mm it's sort of hard to imagine where it might be :)

Hi ya flick, wow thanks for adding all those links, I just had a look through my books and it doesnt even start talking about uterus size till 8 weeks which is a little disappointing but it says " your uterus, usually the size of a fist, has grown to the size of a large grapefruit " by 8 weeks (What to expect.. 2008) which is like what you said. However, I do remember reading somewhere that we urinate more in first trimester because our uterus is pressing on the bladder.

It also says by the end of the third month, " your uterus can be felt right about your pubic bone in the lower abdomen ".

From about the end of the fourth month " your uterus, now about the size a small melon, has grown large enough to rise out of the pelvic cavity and by the end of the month, you'll be able to feel the top of it around 5 c.m below your belly button. (If you dont know what your feeling for, ask your midwife at your next visit)"

The Fifth Month
" you're halfway through your pregnancy now - and the top of your uterus will hit your belly button sometime around the 20th week. By the end of this month, your uterus will be about 2.5 c.m above your belly button.

The Sixth Month:
At the beginning of this month, your uterus is around 4 c.m, above your belly button. By the end of the month, your uterus has grown 2.5 c.m higher and can be felt approximately 6.5c.m above your belly button. Your uterus is the size of a basketball.

The Seventh Month: At the beginning of this month, your uterus is approximately 28 c.m from the top of your pubic bone. By the end of the month, your baby's home has grown another 2.5 c.m in height and can be felt around 11.5 c.m above your belly button.

The Eighth Month: An interesting bit of pregnancy trivia: Measurement in centimetres from the top of your pubic bone to the top of your uterus roughly correlates with the number of weeks you're up to; so , at 34 weeks, your uterus measures close to 34 c.m from the pubic bone.

The ninth month: Your uterus is right under your ribs now, and your measurements arent really changing that much from weeks to week anymore. The top of your uterus is around 38 to 40 c.m from the top of your pubic bone. Your weight gain slows down or even stops as D- day approaches. Your abdominal skin is stretched as far as you think it can go, and you're possible waddling more now than ever, possibly because the baby has dropped in anticipation of impending labour.

So this is all I could find on uterus sizes, hope it helps ladies.

From , The Worlds Best Selling Pregnancy Manual " What to expect, when you're expecting " New 4th Edition Heidi Murkoff (2008)

COMMON COMPLAINTS IN FIRST TRIMESTER

BACKACHE

Progesterone causes softening and stretching of the ligaments, most importantly in the pelvic joints. The ligaments supporting the spine also relax, which puts extra strain on the muscles and joints of the lower spine, pelvis and hips. Bad posture can make backache worse.

Symptoms: General ache across the lower back. Sacroiliac pain is classically across the top of the buttocks and extending down into them

Treatments: Good posture and exercises to strengthen the spine, to make it more supple. Avoid very high heels;wear sensible shoes with a moderate heel. Have a good firm mattress on your bed. Avoid heavy lifiting. If the pain runs down your leg towards the foot, consult your doctor in case of a slipped disc. Try to avoid analgesic ( painkillers) Massage may help.

BLEEDING GUMS

The gums thicken and sofen due to the influence of the pregnancy hormones, which increases the body's blood supply. They swell especially around the teeth, and food tends to collect in the hollows at the base of the teeth, allowing bacteria to grow and multiply, causing tooth decay and possibly gum infection ( gingivits)

Symptoms: Gums are tender and bleed after brushing or eating hard foods. Gingivitis causes more bleeding than is normal after brushing.

Treatments: Attention to oral hygiene is essential, with regular brushing of the teeth after foood. Visit your dentist reguarly but tell him you're pregnant as you should avoid x-rays at this time. There is no truth in the tale that the baby takes calcium from your teeth. Gingivits should be reported at once to your dentist.

FREQUENT URINATION:

Early in pregnancy hormonal changes lead to differences in muscle tone that affect the bladder, causing it to empty itself more frequently. Later in pregnancy, the size of the uterus reduces the capacity of the bladder.

Symptoms: Urgent need to pass uring, even the smallest amount, and at frequent intervals day and night

Treatment: Try reducing your liquid intake before going to bed. Later in pregnancy try rocking backwards and forwards as you pass urine. This lessens pressure on the bladder and it may be more completely emptied. If you ahev pain or blood when passing urine, as your doctor to check for urinary tract infection.

INSOMNIA

The general increase in your metabolism. The baby's metabolism doesn't distinguish between day and night so it may kick you at night. Also sweating and frequent urination may cause you to wake.

Symptoms: Difficulty goingto sleep, or getting back to sleep after waking

Treatment: Wear light night clothes to avoid overheating. A hot milk drink or a warm bath before bed may help. Try a drop of lavender oil in your bath. Sleeping pills are rarely prescribed.

MORNING SICKNESS

Sudden high levels of hormones, particuarly human chorionic gonadotrophin (hcg), the production of which closely parallels the time of nausea. It's not clear why it affects some women and not others. Diet before conception can predispose to nausea in early pregnancy, particuarly a diet low in vitamins, minerals and carbohydrates. Tiredness also contrubutes, making nausea more severe, though its not a cause.

Symptoms: Feelings of nausea at the sight or smell of food, or the smell of cigarette smoke. Occassionally accompanied by vomiting.

Treatments: Eat little and often and avoid foods that make you nauseous. Dont get overtired, this will make your nausea worse. Suck peppermints or nibble dried fruits or dry biscuits; keep up your fluid intake. Your doctor will not likely prescribe any medication for you.

New Pregnancy & Birth: A practical guide for all parents - to - be: Dr Miriam Stoppard, the UK's most trusted parenting expert (2009)

COMMON COMPLAINTS IN FIRST TRIMESTER...CONTINUED

TASTE DISTURBANCES

Thought to be related to the pregnancy hormones.

Symptoms: Often a metallic taste. Appreciation of the taste of certain foods alters. Coffee, alcohol and spicy foods , for example become less palatable than before. Often increased liking for sugar and sweet things.

Treatments: NONE

THRUSH

The yeast Candida albicans infects the vagina. Why its more common in pregnancy is not known. The yeast can infect the baby's mouth a birth.

Symptoms: Thick, white curdy discharge accompanied by intense itchiness. There can be some pain when passing urine.

Treatments: Antifungals in the form of a pessary and a cream will be prescribed. They clear up the infection in two to three days If the baby contracts the infection at delivery, a course of medicine will quickly clear it up. Dont wear tight or synthetic underwear during pregnancy

VAGINAL DISCHARGE

Increased blood supply and softening and thickening of the mucous mebranes result in a normal increase of mucoid discharge. Brown or yellow discharge could be cervical erosion, where the secretions increase due to over over production by the cells at the neck of the womb. After sexual intercourse, spots of blood, not of a continuous nature, may appear. Heavy or smelly discharge may be a symptom of a sexually transmitted disease.

Symptoms: Slight increase over normal of the clear, white dischage which does not cause soreness, pain or irritation. Discoloured or smelly discharge.

Treatments: If the discharge is simply increased mucus, dont worry. Don't douche or use a vaginal deodorant. Wear cotton underwear ad change it frequently, especially in warm weather. If the discharge is discoloured, smelly or includes spots of blood, check with your doctor.

New Pregnancy & Birth: A practical guide for all parents - to - be: Dr Miriam Stoppard, the UK's most trusted parenting expert (2009)

Hi Eternal Rose, I'd like to know what Dr Stoppard says about the safe eating. Heard so many conflicting things! Cheers :flower:

Your energy requirements increase only by about 15 per cent, which meants that 200-300 extra calories a day will be sufficent. Every morsel of food you take in should be good for you and the baby.

FOODS TO AVOID IN PREGNANCY

As a gerneral rule, foods have a higher nutritional value the less , they are processed and cooked. Choose fresh, raw wholefoods whereever you can. When planning what to eat, remember:
- Processed foods with preservatives and colourings contain high levels of undesirable chemicals.
- White flour products or anything with added sugars provide little nutrition at the price of a lot of calories. Look at the list of ingredients in the labels of processed foods - you may be surprised how many savoury foods actually contain sugar!
- Sweet fizzy drinks - even the low - calorie versions - are not good for you. They provide few nutrients and may contain harmful additives.
-Strong coffee and tea adversely affect the digestive system. Caffiene in tea and coffee is a stimulant and should be avoided. The tannin in tea interferes with absorbtion so drink organic herbal teas instead.
- Certain foods may harbour dangerous bacteria and should be avoided during pregnancy. pate and soft cheeses ( listeria ), raw eggs ( salmonella ).
- Current advice is to avoid liver and liver products in pregnancy as the high levels of vitamin A they contain can be harmful for your baby.
- Avoid undercooked meat, unpasteurized goat's milk and goat's milk products. They may contain a parasite called toxoplasma, which can seriously harm an unborn baby.
-Avoid raw fish, especially shellfish, and dont eat shark, swordfish or marlin, which contain higher levels of mercur than other fish.
- Wash all fruits and vegetables thoroughly before eating or cooking to remove any traces of soil
- Certain moulds produce toxic substances so don't eat mouldy foods. Its not enough to remove the mould as the harmful substances can entetrate deeper and arent destroyed by cooking.

VITAL NUTRIENTS NEEDED IN PREGNANCY

Protein

Your protein requirements increase by 30% during pregnancy. Your needs just from 45-60g (1 & 1/2- 2 & 1/4oz) to 75-100g (3-4 oz) of protein daily, depending on how active you are. Proteins are found in animal products - meat, dairy foods, fish, pultry and eggs - as well as in plant foods such as peas, beans and lentils, brewers yeast, seeds and nuts.

Fibre and fluids

As pregnancy progresses, there is a tendency to develop constipation. You can help to overcome it by giving your intenstines plenty of roughage to work on. Raw fruit and vegatables, bran, wholegrains, peas and beans are all fibrous foods that you should eat some of every day.

When you're pregnant you have nearly 50 per cent more blood in your body than usual, so you need to keep up your fluid intake. Water is best, though fruit juice is also good. Drinking plenty also helps to avoid the risk of urinary tract infection. Don't cut down on your fluid intake if your hands and feet swell - it wont make any difference to this type of fluid retention

Vitamins

Vegetables and fruits are good sources of many vitamins and minerals. Some are rich in vitamin C, others contain vitamins A, B, C mierals and folic acid - all of which you need in your diet. Vitamins are quicky destroyed by exposure to light, air and heat and many cant cant be sored by the body, so you need to top your supplies every day. Leafy green vegetables, yello/red vegetables and fruit supply vitamins A, E, B6, iron, zincand magnesium. Choose broccoli, spinah, watercress, carrots, tomatoes, bananas, apriocts and cherries.
Some vegetables, such as watercress are rich in mny vitamins so are an excellent choice. Others provide a selection of vitamins and minerals, as well as fibre. It's particuarly important to keep your levels of iron and calcium high to support your baby's development.
Although we can get some B vitamins from vegetables and fruit, the bulk of our intake comes from meat, fish, dairy products, grains and nuts. Some of the B vitamins are in animal foods so vegetarians must make sure they are getting enough. If you dont eat dairy foods you may need vitamin B12 supplements, but check with your doctor. Vitamins can be toxic in large quantities, so never take supplements without your doctors advic.

Folic Acid

This is essentail for making red blood cells and plays an important part in the growth of your baby, especially during the first 12 weeks. Folic acid is essential to the development of the nervous sysyem and research shows that folic acid supplements taken up to three months before conception and for the first 12 weeks of pregnancy significantly reduce the incidence of neural tube defects such as spina bifida. If you werent taking folic acid before conception, start when you know you're pregnant. It is available in tablet form, and it's in cereals, bread and green leafy vegetables in the form of folate.

Iron and zinc

The body needs iron to make haemoglobin ( the oxygen- carrying part of the red blood cells). When you are pregnant your iron intake must not only be adequate but also continuous. You need to keep up supplies of extra iron to support the large increase in the amount of blood in your body during pregnancy because your baby's need for iron is constant. Your body needs vitamin c to absorb iron.

Iron can block the babys absorption of zic, which is essential for the development of your baby's brain and nervous system to you need zin-rich foods, such as fish and wheatgerm as well as iron-rich food.

Calcium

A baby's bones begin to form between 4 and 6 weeks, so you'll need plenty of calcium before you concieve and while you're pregnancy. Dairy products, leafy vegetables, brocollo and fish containing soft, edible bones ( such as sardines) are rich in calcium. If you dont eat dairy products, you may need supplements. Vitamin D is needed for calcium absorption so try to eat eggs and cheese every day.

https://www.nhs.uk/Planners/pregnancycareplanner/Pages/vitaminsmineralsdiets.aspx

On this link it says "If you are pregnant and receive Income Support, income-based Jobseekers Allowance or Child Tax Credit without Working Tax Credit and have a family income of less than £15,575 you could get Healthy Start vouchers. To find out more and see if you qualify, visit the Healthy Start website (see External links)."

https://www.healthystart.nhs.uk/ ( Just thought id add this, as I didnt know about this at all )

Handy Foodstuffs

Potatoes are very nutritious, so do include them in your diet. A potato contains about 3g( 1 oz) of protein, together with calcium, iron, thiamin, riboflavin and niacin, plus seven times as much Vitamin C as an apple. Try to cooks potatoes in the skins; peeling them first means you lose fibre, most of the protein, many vitamins and half the iron.

Another useful food is milk; it is easy to use, a cheap source of protein, and provides calcium together with vitamins A and D. Skimmed or semi-skimmed milk contains the same amount of calcium as full - fat milk but fewer calories. If you dont like drinking milk, use it on cereals, soupls and sauces, or eat cheese ( two small cubes of cheddar are equal to one small glass of milk ) or yoghurt. It you areallergiv to milk, substitue other sources of the nutrients it provides, especially calcium.
You'll see from the foods mentioned in this that a few sources will provide the goodness you need for your own and your baby's health. Your daily needs ARE met by eating some of the following foods each day; milk or yohurt, eggs, fish, lean meat, yeast products, heard cheeses, wholegrain foods ( brown bread, pasta or rice ) fresh fruit and vegetables, fruit juices, dried fruits. Dark chocolate is good for a treat and its rich in iron.

Hope this helps hun xx

Thanks ER :thumbup:

Blimey did you type all of that up? What a star!

Great post Eternal Rose... I am really concerned as am spottting on and off... you have put mine and hubby's mind at rest... will probably push for an early scan though...

xx

Id definately reccomend one hun, I managed to blag one for 7 weeks which is on thursday Im so nervous its unreal but im hoping on thursday morning I will have peace of mind which is worth its weight in gold!

I would just like to say i think you are doing a brilliant job :thumbup::thumbup: you are a very caring lady :hugs:

Hey EternalRose, brill idea :) I have the pregnancy bible and look online when i have questions but i think this is a brill thread despite what others say!! Il help in anyway i can xxx

Thank you for this post eternal rose i think its a great idea, and thank you for taking the time and trouble to help us ease our worries
xx

Thanks for all your lovely replies, if you have any questions let me know and ill try and find out for you as soon as I can xx

This is a great idea.. I have a question, I have never had stretch marks, and I don't want them. There are a lot of lotions/creams on the market that claim to prevent stretch marks during pregnancy. Do they work and are they safe? Also are there other ways to prevent stretch marks naturally?

STRETCHMARKS

From , The Worlds Best Selling Pregnancy Manual " What to expect, when you're expecting " New 4th Edition Heidi Murkoff (2008)

You might be able to minimize, if not prevent, stretch marks by keeping weight gain steady, gradual, and moderate ( the faster skin stetches, the more likely the stretching is likely to leave its mark). Promoting elasticity in your skin by nourishing it with a good diet ( especially those vitamin C foods) may also help. And though no topical preparation has been proven to prevent stretch marks from zigzagging their way across your skin, there's no harm in applying moisturizers, such as cocoa butter. Even without the scientific proof to back them up, some women swear they work - and if nothing else, they'll prevent the dryness and itching associated with pregnancy - stretched skin. If you do develop stretchmarks, you can console yourself with the knowledge that they will gradually fade to a silvery sheen some months after delivery. You can also discuss with a dermatologist the possibility of reducing their visibility postpartum with laser therapy or Retin-A.

Dr Stoppard says " Creams and ointments will have little to no effect. Eventually the marks will become smaller, narrower, and a light silver colour, but they rarely disappear altogether. Make sure you do not put too much weight on too quickly "

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->