The Big Thread of FAQ

EternalRose

Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

Well I just woke up from my afternoon nap :sleep: and I thought it would be a good idea to set up a thread for people to ask any questions related to their pregnancy in first trimester and me being the book worm I am, will look through my books my fiance has bought me, and will write it down here. I will quote the book used for reference purposes of course, I just thought it would be a good idea so we can be assured we are actually getting the " right " advice as I know a lot of us dont even get to see our midwives till 8-10 weeks thats nearly all of the first trimester gone!, I am in no way saying we dont give good advice ( am I digging myself a hole here? :haha:) but I thought that if its all on one thread you know where to look for the information you need.

EternalRose

PAGE 1: MORNING SICKNESS & WEIGHT LOSS
PAGE 1: SPOTTING
PAGE 2: CRAMPING
PAGE 3: UTERUS SIZES
PAGE 3: COMMON COMPLAINTS IN FIRST TRIMESTER ( LET ME KNOW IF YOU WANT ANYTHING ELSE ADDED)
PAGE 3: NUTRITION
PAGE 4: STRETCHMARKS

Yes good idea, just need to think of a question now.......LOL. Mind's gone blank now!!

Im not sure if its a good idea for a. quoting advice from a book, copyright etc and b. medical advice should always be sought from a profesional.
What if you give the wrong answer which could then cause serious consequences?
c. we have people from all over the world on the forum and advise does differ depending on your location

I agree Arcane - its a fab idea, but we are maybe better just having individual threads with questions so people can give all their opinions, instead of one thread with what could be construed as definitive advice. I hope all the girls on here would consult a GP or midwife with any of their concerns as well x

Pregnancy books are written by medical professionals anyway, so there will be medical fact involved. I'm sure 'eternal rose' isn't daft enough to tell them it is sound 100% advice and if the person still had further concerns they could still go ahead and contact there GP/MW?

I think it's a good idea, there are so many questions asked on her from 1st timers such as myself. Plus some people might not have access to pregnancy books.

I'll get the ball rolling...

Q: is it normal o lose weigh in the 1st trimester. I've lost 3lbs due MS putting me off food?

Arcanegirl, by law you are allowed to quote a book if its referenced with its author & title from a legal standpoint. I have said in my original post thats what I intended to do I was intending to use two main books, one from miriam stoppard and she is a well known doctor in the UK. I am not saying Im a doctor but if we all come on here, and give out advice anyway what is the harm for me to quote something directly from a medical professionals mouth. I see it being done here anyway, with people quoting things that there midwives have told them. I was writing a post on spotting, but I wont post it untill I feel people are happy for me to help.

Im with bump#1 - people could be giving wrong advise on the other threads anyway! I think that first tri for me is all about getting some reassurance and if someone can do that I think its a great idea. xx

Q: is it normal to lose weight in the 1st trimester. I've lost 3lbs due MS putting me off food?

From , The Worlds Best Selling Pregnancy Manual " What to expect, when you're expecting " New 4th Edition Heidi Murkoff (2008)

https://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/symptoms-and-solutions/nausea.aspx

Many women have trouble putting on an ounce in the early weeks- some even lose a few pounds, usually courtesy of morning sickness, and others, because they started out overweight, dont need to gain any this early on. Fortunately, nature has your baby's back, offering protection even if you're too queazy or food adverse to eat. Tiny fetuses have tiny nutritional needs, which means that your lack of weight gain now wont have any effect on your baby. Not so, however, once you enter the second trimester. As your baby gets bigger and your baby - making factory picks up steam, claories and nutrients will be more and more in demand - and you'll need to begin playing weight gain catch up, piling the pounds on at a steady pace. So definately DONT worry, as morning sickness doesnt generally linger much beyond the 12th to 14th week.

Spotting

FAQ: I went to the loo, and noticed a small amount of blood when I wiped. Am I having a miscarriage?

From , The Worlds Best Selling Pregnancy Manual " What to expect, when you're expecting " New 4th Edition Heidi Murkoff (2008)

https://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/symptoms-and-solutions/vaginal-spotting.aspx

Its definaitely scary to see blood down below when you're pregnant. But what's not defiite is that bleeding is a sign that something's wrong with your pregnancy. Many women _ about 1 in 5, in fact - experience some bleeding during pregnancy, and a very large majority go on to have a perfectly healthy pregnancy and baby. So if you're only noticing light spotting - similar to what you see at the beginning or end of your period - you can take a deep breath and read on for a probably ( and probably reassuring) explanation. Such light spotting is usually caused by one of the following:

Implantation of the embryo into your uterine wall

Affecting 20 to 30 per cent of women, such spotting (called implantation bleeding) will usually occur before ( or in some cases around the time) you expected your period, around 5 to 10 days after conception. Scantier than your monthly flow ( and lasting any-where from a few hours to a few days) implantation bleeding is usually light to medium pink or light brown in colour and is spotty. It occurs when the little ball of cells you'll one day call your baby burrows its way into the uterine wall. Implantation bleeding is not a sign that something is wrong.

Intercourse

During pregnancy, your cervix becomes tender and engorged with blood vessels and can occasionally become irritated during intercourse, resulting in some light bleeding. This type of bleeding is common, can occur at any time during your pregnancy, and usually doesn't indicate a problem but do tell your practitioner about any post- intercourse spotting for extra reassurace.

Spotting is as variable in a normal pregnancy as it is common. Some women spot on and off for their entire pregnancies. Other women spot for just a day or two - and others for several weeks. Some women notice mucousy brown or pink spotting; others see small amounts of bright red blood. But happily, most women who experience any kind of spotting continue to have completely normal and healthy pregnancies and end up delivering perfectly healthy babies. Which means that there is probably nothing for you to worry about (though realistically, that doesnt mean you 'll stop worrying)

For extra reassuarance, put in a call to your doctor (no need to call immediately or during non - surgery hours unless you're noticing spotting accompanied by severe cramping or bright red, soak-through-a-pad bleeding), who will likely order an ultrasound. If you're past the sixth week, you'll probably be able to see your baby's heartbeat during the ultrasound, which will reassure that that your pregnancy is progressing along just fine, even with the spotting.

What if the spotting progresses to heavier bleeding similar to a period?

Though such a scenario is more cause for concern ( especially if it's accompanied by severe cramps or pain in your lower abdomen) and does warrant an immedicate call to your doctor, its not always a sign that your inevitably miscarrying. Some women bleed - even heavily for unknown reasons thoughout their pregnancies and still deliver healthy babies at term.

Ok ladies, I have added two to start off. To reiterate, what I stated earlier. I am in no way saying I am a doctor. However, since this is a public forum and we all are allowed to give " wrong advice " I genuinely thought it would be a good idea to take it upon myself to get the answers to many FAQ, from the published literature out there. It may be wrong, it may not. However, if I was to feel that something was just " not right " I would call my midwife, or doctor and not rely solely on the words posted on a forum. I am writing this just to offer ladies, a little bit of peace of mind and reassurance. Thats all.

P.S I will update my first post, with a contents section so you dont have to flick through all the pages to find the info you need.

EternalRose

x

I'm not actually pregnant, I'd just like to say I think this is a very good idea for a thread! I'd rather have a quote from a book than someone guessing the answer!

Keep it up, you're clearly a caring person and for tht, I applaud you!
Xx

I reckon a question on symptoms would be good - explaining that they can come and go and everyone is different - I am tired now but I can think of some points anyone else welcome to add

I guess in response to Sahara the thing that freaked me out was that I got really bad period type cramps in the 4th-5th week, if Mum hadn't have been staying I would have ended up at the EPU, so in a long winded way what is the cause of this and is it normal?

I just scanned my books, couldnt find anything but I noticed a question was posted in 2008 in this forum on symptoms coming & going...and you can see that all the ladies that posted have had healthy babies.

https://www.babyandbump.com/pregnancy-first-trimester/74969-do-pregnancy-symptoms-come-go.html

EternalRose

I guess in response to Sahara the thing that freaked me out was that I got really bad period type cramps in the 4th-5th week, if Mum hadn't have been staying I would have ended up at the EPU, so in a long winded way what is the cause of this and is it normal?

A feeling of pressure or even mild crampiness without bleeding is very common, especially in first pregnancies - and is usually a sign that everything's going right, not that something's going wrong. Chances, are, that sensitive body radar of yours is just picking up some of the many dramatic changes that are taking place in your lower abdomen, where your uterus is currently located. What your feeling may be the sensation of implantation, increased blood flow, or simply your uterus beginning to grow - in other words, your first growing pains ( there will be many more to come ) It could also be gas pains or bowel spasms that come with constipation ( another common pregnancy side effect).
For further reassurance, ask your practitioner about the feeling ( if your still having it ) at your next appointment.

New Pregnancy & Birth: A practical guide for all parents - to - be: Dr Miriam Stoppard, the UK's most trusted parenting expert (2009)

"Round ligament pain occurs during pregnancy when the ligaments supporting the uterus stretch"

Thanks so much Eternal Rose I started spotting this morning and this has put my mind at rest a bit more! I reckon this thread will be ace, especially with a contents page, it will be like having our very own pregnancy book online yippee!!!

EternalRose I think your idea to post answers on here is GREAT! It is so nice to have someone take responsibility for the research...normally takes me ages to read through stuff! I don't have a question but wanted to support you on this idea. Go girl xxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->