The Northern Ireland Crew!!

£20 a lesson, it's so expensive. Think it was about £13 when I was learning but that was a long time ago. DH only learnt to drive 2 years ago when we decided to start a family, before that he was happy to be taxied about by me. I have friends who have had some dodgy instructors in Belfast who messed them about which is a disgrace given the money they charge. Hope it goes well Emydra, at least you're not a complete beginner.

Thank you very much :) I've seen lessons priced averaging £25, I'm on a 'deal' for the first five at £20 then I think I can get the next set at the same price if I buy another 5 at a time. I've heard about dodgy instructors and rather than take a stab in the dark I'm just going to be using the same guy as OH did, since, at the end of the day - he passed. :thumbup:

Good luck with the diet emy, I joined slimming world last week, im hoping loosing weight will help me get my BFP too :)

Good luck with the diet emy, I joined slimming world last week, im hoping loosing weight will help me get my BFP too :)

slimming world... is FANTASTIC. i joined a few months after having poppy and i lost 2 stone in the first month and a half and another 2 stone within a few more months! it was sooo easy!!

I have it in mind to possibly switch to slimming world after the three months I've signed up with Tesco are over. The site is great though, I have to say. Hope the novelty of tracking all my meals doesn't wear off!

congratulations on your new arrival numpty!
Emy, hope the diet goes well - I'd also give the thumbs up to slimming world!
Had my scan today :) all well!

Attachments

• IMAG0295.jpg
    IMAG0295.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 1

slimming world... is FANTASTIC. i joined a few months after having poppy and i lost 2 stone in the first month and a half and another 2 stone within a few more months! it was sooo easy!!

2 stone in a 6 weeks!? thats great nuke :) any tips?

Lovely scan pic Holywood mum! Glad to hear all is well x

Glad to hear all is well holywoodmum, both times I was so relieved to know all was well and I wasnt imagining things!

There's a class very close to me. I'm going to join in a few weeks after I eat all the chocolate in my house!

This is a question I can only ask people from ni.

I would like to get my son christened, as would my oh. The problem being that he is catholic and I'm prod and are both disagreeing about where and how to do it.

My view is - im not religious. I believe in god but don't attend church and don't see the need to. I don't want to be forcing any religion on my baby and feel that they should chose whether religion is for th or not when they are old enough. I would prefer a naming ceremony or if it was to be in a church then I would want a joint ceremony with a priest and minister in a prod church.

My oh is adamant that a christening will take place in a catholic church. He's open to the idea of a joint ceremony but wants it in a catholic church due to my son not being able to go to a catholic school if they wanted if its not in a catholic church!

We can't come to an agreement on the matter and it's causing tension. Would anyone have any ideas or suggestions about what we can do? Any help appreciated.

Hmmm, a toughie! I think if you're agreed on a joint ceremony, and if the priest and minister are happy to do that, then why not let him have it in the catholic church, seeing as you said you're not bothered too much, and OH does have an opinion on it? Especially I guess since it keeps your school options open further down the line...

I think if he's adamant that he wants a religious element then perhaps you could ask the priest to do a blessing/dedication? I'm thinking that might be enough to open school options but it allows the child to basically make their own choice to what faith (if any) they intend to follow. Being baptised into a church is quite a strong thing (espiecally over here) and not something I would personally want to do.
Me and OH are the same, he's catholic and I'm technically prod (although I hate having that label), his parents may want the (eventual) baby Christened but we have already both decided that we want a naming ceremony/naming day.

I think you need to ask him to think a little deeper about having a child baptised. If his catholism really means that much to him (if he's commited to his faith/the church) then I understand him wanting to have the baby christened, but if it really is just a tradition or to get him/her into a school then that definately doesn't seem like a good reason to me.

Hmmm, a toughie! I think if you're agreed on a joint ceremony, and if the priest and minister are happy to do that, then why not let him have it in the catholic church, seeing as you said you're not bothered too much, and OH does have an opinion on it? Especially I guess since it keeps your school options open further down the line...

I think we probably will go down that line but when I say I'm not bothered I mean that I'm not overly happy about going down the whole Christian route. If we have to do that I would prefer for it to be in my family church rather than a catholic church. The reason being that my oh is not religious whatsoever. His family are, like really are!!! So he was brought up in that environment and it's just his catholic guilt and his want to please his parents that make him want a catholic ceremony. But he obviously doesn't see it that way. If its in a catholic church then I'll feel a bit 'left out' if you know what I mean. Simply because I don't believe in all that catholic mush (sorry if that offends) and its not what I really want for my son. I would so love him to agree to a naming ceremony

Yeah I agree with emy. If you dont want regilion to be part of the childs life you would be better sticking to a naming day. Rather than a catholic baptism, then a catholic school imo thats basically says your catholic.
However my sister is in a mixed marriage & for her wedding she got married in a catholic church with a priest & COI Minister - but the service was neither catohlic or protestant i.e. no hymns or communion, just the wedding bands & that was it.
They had talked about a similar kind of thing for a chistening (they dont have kids yets so cant really describe how it would go) but probably a blessing but neither one or the other. Then the education would be intergrated so there would be no reglious beliefs forsed on them either way.

It is tricky but I think thats just our stupid country!! :wacko:

Emy, that's exactly how I feel! I just couldn't put it in to words properly! And majellaG, yes it is our stupid country! It mustn't be that uncommon in this country with couples like us. I think the best thing to do is speak to a priest/minister about what type of ceremony would allow cayden to go to a catholic school - can I just add that I think it's ridiculous that to go to a catholic school the church has to be involved!

I dont think its necessary to be christened catholic to go to a catholic school afaik but it would be necessary if you wanted them to take part in the other sacraments, eg communion, confirmation etc later in life.
It depends on whether or not your OH actively participates in his religion I would say, if he does then it prob makes sense that it is carried out (as a joint ceremony if desired) in the catholic church. As you dont go to church or see the need to, it doesnt make sense to have it in the protestant church and if neither of you do then it prob makes sense just to go with a naming ceremony at a neutral venue. HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->