The Northern Ireland Crew!!

I had my antenatal appointments in downpatrick but delivered at the ulster, so can't say what parentcraft classes at the ulster are like, but went to two in downpatrick, they were informative but I forgot a lot of it after the birth. They didn't last a full 2 hours and we got a tour of the maternity unit, the rooms were modelled on the home from home units at the Ulster, which are great btw, hubby/partner cab stay.

Yea iv planned to give birth in home from home, my twin sister gave birth to her wee boy in april there and i thought it was a really relaxed place almost like being at home, altho bit worried as they only check how many cm dilated you are every 4 hours but sure saves them havin a fiddle every 30mins or so lol Plus i like the idea of OH being able to stay with me at all times :thumbup:
God love him tho im sure ill not be much fun lol

Aw that's lovely your twin sis and you having babies so close together, they'll be such good friends! I didn't know about the 4 hour checking thing, I was quite quick though... Got there after 2am, was still 3cm which I had been for 5 days but no pains, by 4.30am I was 7 cm and LO was born at 10.11am. I had to deliver upstairs in the labour ward delivery suite though as I'd been pushing for too long. They let me go back to the home from home though which was great. You'll be in good hands. One midwife in particular was brilliant, Ann-Marie she was called. All the best!:thumbup:

Aw that's lovely your twin sis and you having babies so close together, they'll be such good friends! I didn't know about the 4 hour checking thing, I was quite quick though... Got there after 2am, was still 3cm which I had been for 5 days but no pains, by 4.30am I was 7 cm and LO was born at 10.11am. I had to deliver upstairs in the labour ward delivery suite though as I'd been pushing for too long. They let me go back to the home from home though which was great. You'll be in good hands. One midwife in particular was brilliant, Ann-Marie she was called. All the best!:thumbup:

Yea i didnt no but i was pregnant when she was 9 month but i didnt find out tili iwas 3 month gone lol an yes im sure they will be good friends plus she will be able to give me plenty of tips :thumbup:
yea i went up with her and they had to get her room ready at home from hom so she was taken to labour ward, then when her room was ready the Mw said you'll only be checked every 4 hours which i found abit scary but she was in the best place, i wasnt allowed to stay with her when she went into home from home as there was only 1 person allowed and her partner wonted to go in with her, they sent her home after 6 hours in the hospital then she went back to hospital after 2 hours spent another 4 hours in hospital then had her baby boy. They said it took so long cause they had to break her waters at the very last minute, dunno why?

Im going to try and stay at home for as long as i can stick the pain, but id prefer to be at home and try to relax as much as i can i think id panic more if i was at hospital.

LVH's antenatal classes were amaaaazing! I'm sure you should go.

The midwife we see up at the ulster runs the class's so she asked did we wont to be put on the list as places go quickly i thought it would be nice meeting other mums to be, just kinda hope im not the youngest there :blush: not really looking forward to sittin for 2 hours, altho im sure it will fly in.

I was easily the youngest there at mine and the only person who came alone! I didn't mind at all, got chatting to a couple of Mums to be and swapped numbers with a girl who I think is the 2nd youngest (think shes about 24/25) but the men generally prohibit the talk.
I knew the midwife taking the course (think I know most of them now) so had a bit of banter with her.
I am so glad I went, it really put my mind at ease and it allowed me to consider things I hadn't thought about. I would hate to go into it blind personally - which they'd been more classes.

LVH's antenatal classes were amaaaazing! I'm sure you should go.

The midwife we see up at the ulster runs the class's so she asked did we wont to be put on the list as places go quickly i thought it would be nice meeting other mums to be, just kinda hope im not the youngest there :blush: not really looking forward to sittin for 2 hours, altho im sure it will fly in.

I was easily the youngest there at mine and the only person who came alone! I didn't mind at all, got chatting to a couple of Mums to be and swapped numbers with a girl who I think is the 2nd youngest (think shes about 24/25) but the men generally prohibit the talk.
I knew the midwife taking the course (think I know most of them now) so had a bit of banter with her.
I am so glad I went, it really put my mind at ease and it allowed me to consider things I hadn't thought about. I would hate to go into it blind personally - which they'd been more classes.

Everytime i went for a scan (ok it was 2 scans) it seems to be women in there late 30's and i felt abit out of place, im just glad i have my partner for support at all my appointments, i cant believe how exitced he is about meeting bubba.
Can i ask what happened at your classes?

Yes, more or less everyone at my antenatal was what I'd call 'Mummy-aged' between 28 and 35 I'd say. I just hold my head up really, but I have a lot of friends in their 30s and 40s so I guess I ignore my own age a lot of the time.

First class was all about your developing body and how to ease pain assiocated with 3rd tri. They had a spinal expert giving you advice on how to cope with/avoid back pain and every other kind of pain you can think of. At the time, I wasn't in a lot of discomfort, but it's proving useful info now - it's nice to know why you're feeling the pain really and hear about the unusual things you might exprience but not expect.

Second class was all about labour, how it starts, what to look out for, when to come to hospital, available pain relief, what all the different pain relief options are. What's normal, what's not normal - when you get sent home etc. Loads fo active labour advice, different posistions, birthing pool, birthing stool, birthing ball. I'd never heard of or seen the stool before.
Info on assisted delivery as well.
How standing up can give baby an extra few cm of room to come out and ease labour, benefits of skin to skin contact.
And also about bringing baby home, few things to watch out for, loads of interesting stuff that baby books/the internet hadn't told me!

3rd was a complete tour of the unit, labour and maternity ward. Various other info too.

It was fantastic :D

Well im only 19 but hoping there will be a few around that age well it would be nice anyway, Im looking forward to the classes and my parnter keeps saying it will be a good experince for us both so its making more willing to attened, wev only been put down for 2 classes as baby will be here by the 3rd class lol

Yes, I've just turned 21 last week so would've been the closest to yourself.

Was a new Mum on This Morning that was a member of S club Juniors, she was 19 and had a little boy - couldn't help but think that she seemed a fantastic and very yummy mummy! I haven't felt judged at all throughout my pregnancy (expect one small incident where one of the midwives assumed I didn't have a job - but I have since forgiven her).
To be honest, I kinda liked being the youngest at my Antenatal :haha:

Yes, I've just turned 21 last week so would've been the closest to yourself.

Was a new Mum on This Morning that was a member of S club Juniors, she was 19 and had a little boy - couldn't help but think that she seemed a fantastic and very yummy mummy! I haven't felt judged at all throughout my pregnancy (expect one small incident where one of the midwives assumed I didn't have a job - but I have since forgiven her).
To be honest, I kinda liked being the youngest at my Antenatal :haha:

To be honest i think 19-20 is a nice age to have a child, altho there aint anything wrong with younger or older mums, its just i always said from being with my partner 3 years id like a baby when i was 19 and we didnt plan it but it happened and i couldnt be happier.
l'll actually be abit surprised when i go to these classes i dont reconise a face as so many people i no are annoucning there pregnant.

My ideal was always married by 23, baby by 25. My reality was married @ 22, baby @ 24.... close enough :lol:

I'm 26 and my OH is 22 and think's she's too young for babies, tough! :rofl:

I'm 26 and my OH is 22 and think's she's too young for babies, tough! :rofl:

My OH is 26 aswell an im only 19 but i thought 26 is a tad on the older side and i couldnt have him waiting any longer :haha:

She's waiting til she's 30..not if I have anything to do with it!! I'll keep nagging her lol

She's waiting til she's 30..not if I have anything to do with it!! I'll keep nagging her lol

Haha you never no she might wake up one day and not wont to wait that long :thumbup:
Was only joking about 26 being old my OH would kill me if he reads that :haha:

lunaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dust: <--- sticky dust!!!

hehe! Thanks!! I totally can't bloody believe it!!!!

Ah i see you might not have to wait that long anymore lol congrats :D

i am soooooooo happy fir you liz!!! keep us updated pleaseeeee!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->