To sweep or not to sweep?

scrumpy78

Pregnant Due April
Reaction score
My midwife has suggested doing a membrane sweep next week when i hit 40 weeks, to which i am happy with. I do NOT want to go overdue more than a week, i have been anxious the whole way through this pregnancy, and don't want to take any risks by being too far overdue. there is no guarantee it will work anyway, but i'm happy for her to do this even though i know it will hurt.
My friend who has recently had a baby and had a sweep that was not successful says not to have it done as it hurt her (!!), certainly not until 41 weeks. I want to be induced at 41 weeks if she's not here by then so i thought id try the sweep earlier. Did anyone have one? what do people think about this situation? is it too early? here in england they dont do examinations til your in labour so it will be a way of telling whether im dilating or not, of course she may not be able to do the sweep if my body isn't ready.

did not want to read and run!

I am petrified of being late so will ask for a sweep at 40 weeks as its worth the pain if it does work as my mum is going away 2weeks after i am due and do not want to go through birth without mum there, but dont want to say to her don't go as I feel selfish.

x x x x

They wont do them until 40+6 here and inductions at 12 days overdue!

Sweeps don't hurt much if you relax and tell your doctor when to stop. Sweeps work for alot of women. Depends how much you want your baby out I guess. Labour is going to hurt more than the sweep.

Agree with Toria, a sweep is nothing compared to labour! Mine didn't hurt, just was a bit uncomfortable

Sweeps hurt but nothing compared tp labour

I found it quite uncomfortable and it hurt when she actually 'swept', but its over within a few minutes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->