TWINS???

khartnett

Reaction score
HI YA, I AM 9 WEEKS PREGNANT, MY OTHER HALF IS A TWIN AND MY GRANDDAD HAD TWINS.

WHAT IS THE LIKELY HOOD WE WILL HAVE TWINS?

HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU SOON,

KASEY XX

Hi there,

I don't think your OH has any relevance on whether you have twins - though it would affect whether your offspring has twins - i.e. it's you that has to either release 2 eggs or have an embryo split - not him - but he can pass on his genes to your child. Your Grandfather could affect your chances though. It depends on whether they where fraternal twins or identical twins. Fraternal twins hare heriditary and identical twins aren't. Other factors that affect your chances are if you are above average height or weight, >35 years old and had children before...

Hope that isn't too confusing :)

Han x

Hi hun, I am 27 years old have a 6 year old daughter and my grand dad didnt have identical twins.

Just getting myself worried over nothing probably lol x

Hiya lovey :)

It's the non identical twins that are the ones that you can inherit so don't count yourself out yet ;) I've got a 6 year old daughter too and I'm expecting twins - My maternal grandparents had fraternal twin boys (but I'm also 35 and tall)

i had this thought to (although we know its only one) both mine and my DH dads are twins my aunts are twins and my nan was a twin. i think it still depends on the individual pregnancy. x

Your grandfather having twins will only be relevant if it was with your grandmother, since he wouldn't have been a factor in making them twins. Your OH being a twin won't affect your chances at all. Are you wanting twins, or worried about it?

Yeah I’m just really worried! It wasn’t my grand mother it was his second wife, I am just working myself up for no reason I think lol

lol. then don't worry about it - genetically you have the same chance of twins as anyone else (pretty low, but it happens).

But it doesnt always run in the family as i know someone who is a twin girls and no one in there family is a twin either side of there family

I agree with littlelady. My OH's mom was a twin, not identical, first set of twins in the family.

There are 18 sets of twins in my family from my Grandparents to my Great-Great Grandparents. All are on my mother's side (I don't know my father) and they are on both my Grandmother and Grandfathers, with direct links to me.

There are 5 sets of twins in my husband's family but they are a fair way back in the direct lineage (My MIL and I have been doing our family trees).

There were no twins in my generation of children, nor in my mother's (direct to me) generation of children (so none of my siblings/cousins or my mother's siblings). My Mum has twin cousins.

Most of the twins are girl-boy twins and I am unsure if the same gender twins were identical or not.

My sister has 4 children (5 pregnancies) no twins. My brother has 3 children - no twins. I am pregnant with my second (6 weeks). I too am wondering what are the chances this one is a twin?

They say that twinning runs through the maternal side. So if you granfather was a twin it would have had to be your grandma for it to be passed on to you.

On the other hand they say identicals are not passed on, but my grandma had at least 1 set of identical twins out of the 3 sets she had. She's my mom's mom. Then it skipped my generation. None of my siblings or cousins are twins, but my sister has identical girls and I have identical boys.

They also are doing a study to see if spermies have a hand in identical twinning.

I had fraternal twins and neither DH or I have any twins in the family as far back as anyone can remember, so it can happen to anyone!

Since splitting is caused after fertilization I wonder if the sperm plays a part in the splitting role?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Identical-fraternal-sperm-egg.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->