Unsuccesful application

kmbabycrazy

Reaction score
Just received an unsuccesful response for one of the uni courses I applied for. The reason was "subjects studied are not relevant". The course is English Studies and Educational Studies. I'm worried this means i'll be getting the same response for my the other one I applied for which is the one I really wanted to do which is English Language and Literature. I did email the person responsible for admissions in the English Department prior to applying asking if it was worth it as a didn't have an English A level and she said it absolutely was but it's got me really worried. I really wanted this. I worked my but off doing my Open University access course but I just realised that I really wanted to go to a brick university.

Do you think this means I'll get the same response?

Every uni is different, I know someone who did a history degree without having done even a GCSE in history I think, definitely no A Level, don't get too down heartened yet :hugs:

What was your access course?

I did Access to Arts and Humanities and got accepted onto a lit course. Hated it, changed to psychology bsc no problem despite lack of relevant qualifications.

Someone should accept you if you have an access with enough distinctions/merits!

Oh and I had a few rejections but an equal number of acceptances. I guess sometimes it's just to do with their numbers/how many mature students they want on that course.

What was your access course?

I did Access to Arts and Humanities and got accepted onto a lit course. Hated it, changed to psychology bsc no problem despite lack of relevant qualifications.

Someone should accept you if you have an access with enough distinctions/merits!

Oh and I had a few rejections but an equal number of acceptances. I guess sometimes it's just to do with their numbers/how many mature students they want on that course.

It was an arts and humanities access course as I was supposed to go on to do English Language and Literature with the OU. Problem is I can only apply to the local university as though I could commute to ones further out it could cause issues with childcare.

I suppose if they have more applying for that course it could be to do that I have less relevant qualifications than others rather than just the fact I don't have the relevant qualifications full stop (if that makes sense?).

It's just something I really want to do, and to prove I can do too. I feel like I've maybe pinned too many hopes on it though and that rejection just kind of knocked me down. Well fingers crossed for the next one. I'll know by the end of Thursday as that's the UCAS deadline for answers from unis.

I found a lot of them had quite high expectations in terms of number of distinctions (if OU access scores like this)

On the other hand some unis see mature students are a real asset. Mine really welcomed me despite only having an average access pass.

Good luck :hugs: And if for some reason you don't make it, don't give up! There will be a way, whether it's later down the line or through a different route.

Honestly there's no reason why they should reject you though except if they have a massive volume of applications. Access is a perfectly valid...well, access to university!

Remember there is clearing as well, i had friends change to courses which they hadent done a level for. My sister did law and her a levels wernt particularly relevent

Well I didn't get on the other course either and pretty gutted about it but I'll see what comes up trough clearing when that opens x

the other thing you could do is a more general course, my degree is in history and human rights but I was allowed to take courses from other subjects such as English literature and language. If you do a humanities degree you can take courses from a lot of subjects and I know people who then transferred on a more specific course in their second year

Im sure there will be places in clearing. Could you ring university and see what subjects they think your qualification would allow you to get on

Thanks I have emailed them, I also asked for feedback on my application as in the second instance I wasn't given a reason though it could be because it's the same, but I just wanted to know considering I was advised I didn't necessarily need an A level in English. We'll see what they say

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->