What is your final voting decision? *New Poll*

Labour are too soft on benefits, that was my main problem with them. That's why kids were planning on having babies so they could be "adults" without having to work

I agree Bexy

and pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease stop banding arond the tax credit argument (unless of course you earn over £50,000 and will therefore be affected, in which case argue away :winkwink:)

See, we earn over 50k (gross), but less than that net, so it doesnt seem fair does it?

we are the same, except earns under 50k salary but over 50k with bonus (which is discretionary) but overall gross is well below 50k because he gets hammered with tax!

Just being nosey (tell me to sod off if you like!) but earning that much as a family I can'y imagine you get much in the way of tax credit under the current system anyway - please tell me if I am wrong :flower:

None at all. But its flawed in saying no tax credits for those who earn 50k a year...when in fact, they only take home less than £30k a year. I think they should be means tested for all families, as I view as them as a 'reward' for having children

Sure start grant is a one off payment of £500 for those claiming JSA/IS or on a certain type of tax credits. They are not linked to the sure start centres

I think the child trust funds were a lovely gesture whilst the country could afford it but sadly we can't anymore so i feel it should be scrapped. I think the health in pregnancy grant should go too.

I guess. But I don't agree with tax credits etc being stopped and rises in tax and rent... some people just won't be able to afford to live without the help of tax credits and certain benefits.

Hmm, I'm on the fence in regards to the price of council housing. I find it laughable that some peoples rent is like £5 a week :\

whos putting rent up?

Tories spoke of making council rent the same as private rent.

They can't do that! Private rent is unaffordable for a LOT of people, that's one of the reasons why they're in council housing.

I think the child trust funds were a lovely gesture whilst the country could afford it but sadly we can't anymore so i feel it should be scrapped. I think the health in pregnancy grant should go too.

yup we managed before we can manage again, cutbacks NEED to be made, it makes sense to make it in areas like these where they are literally as you say, a nice gesture, they aren't essential :shrug:

i got this grant when i was pregnant. im a single mum and REALLY struggled to get everything i needed for my lo. some people cant afford to lose out on things like that. i wouldnt have managed :nope:

IDK, I just think that you decided to get pregnant and/or have the baby so you should pay for them :shrug: Start as you mean to go on and all that.

i didnt DECIDE to have a baby. i ended up pregnant and dont believe in abortion
due to personal reasons i had lost over a grand and was skint
i lost my job due to my ex being fired
some of us need it

I know but it was still your decision hun :shrug: You cant expect other people to pay for your babys things, thats all im saying.

and pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease stop banding arond the tax credit argument (unless of course you earn over £50,000 and will therefore be affected, in which case argue away :winkwink:)

See, we earn over 50k (gross), but less than that net, so it doesnt seem fair does it?

we are the same, except earns under 50k salary but over 50k with bonus (which is discretionary) but overall gross is well below 50k because he gets hammered with tax!

Just being nosey (tell me to sod off if you like!) but earning that much as a family I can'y imagine you get much in the way of tax credit under the current system anyway - please tell me if I am wrong :flower:

None at all. But its flawed that in saying no tax credits for those who earn 50k a year...when in fact, they only take home less than £30k a year. I think they should be means tested for all families, as I view as them as a 'reward' for having children

Totally agree!!! We get the same amount as someone who owns their own house & has equity in it so Im not sure why thats fair at all. Surely you have to be in a better financial position to buy a house?

x

to be honest hun, i dunno what we would get as our baby isn't born yet, but the fact is somene can earn less, pay less tax yet come home with more? I don't understand how that is fair when future hubby has worked hard to where he has got

I know of someone whos husband is on DLA due to a bad back which is apparently so bad he can't do any type of work ...... YET he sits on his butt all day playing computer games and has gone on to father 4 more children :shrug:

Disgusting. Its people that abuse the system that are ruining this county!

x

thats just wrong when theres people who are entitled to help and struggle to get it

Meh, they say that now but 2 years down the line I bet the thresholds are lower, and lower until they get shot of them.

if we have another election, i tell you, leeds council better get their finger out their ass and get me my vote this time!

My MIL couldnt vote cos she asked for a postal vote and it didnt come, not that she needed it she could have got to the polling station

I just think thats lazy

to be honest hun, i dunno what we would get as our baby isn't born yet, but the fact is somene can earn less, pay less tax yet come home with more? I don't understand how that is fair when future hubby has worked hard to where he has got

I agree with you hun, we have a fairly good earning, £30k joint, and still can't afford our outgoings. The only things we have to pay for which are seen as non essential are the car and internet, both of which hubby needs for his job.

I think a lot of people automatically assume if you work and earn a certain amount of money then it's easy but it isnt.

x

I know of someone whos husband is on DLA due to a bad back which is apparently so bad he can't do any type of work ...... YET he sits on his butt all day playing computer games and has gone on to father 4 more children :shrug:

Disgusting. Its people that abuse the system that are ruining this county!

x

I'd be more inclined to say it's the people ALLOWING the system to be abused ruining the country. If people didn't know they would get away with it they wouldn't do it

if we have another election, i tell you, leeds council better get their finger out their ass and get me my vote this time!

My MIL couldnt vote cos she asked for a postal vote and it didnt come, not that she needed it she could have got to the polling station

I just think thats lazy

Leeds council just didn't bother processing our forms in time dispite them being back in time and me spends 3 days on the phone to them!

No offence to anyone but I think thats one of the main problems in this country. People having children when they cant afford them (I know accidents do happen). But why decide to have children when you know you can afford them.

The lad my OH works with gf already has one baby which was a accident. Now they are actively planning for another. And all they do is complain how they cant afford this and cant afford that. So why are they planning for another child?!

I have to wait so should everyone else.

(Accidents aside as those cant be helped and its just life).

xxx

I do agree with you to an extent we're waiting til Im in a better paid job or a job that allows me to work part time before we have another. As hard as it is.

But at the same time I don't think it's fair to say don't have a baby unless you're well off.

Like for example my husband went to uni because his family could afford to put him through it, whereas mine couldn't, so he now has a degree which makes him more likely to get a better job then me. So if I'd married someone else who didn't have a degree or a good job because their parents couldn't afford it, does that mean that I shouldn't have a child?

Thats only an example Im not saying you need to have a degree to eaern money or anything, just another perspective, I dont see why money should judge wether you should have a baby or not.

But then again some people are responsible & claim what they need, and other pop kids out here there and everywhere to get benefits.

x

i dont think thats what was meant.
people who cannot afford to support a child shouldnt plan for one as it is not in the childs best interests
you dont need to be rich to be able to afford to support them :)

Meh, they say that now but 2 years down the line I bet the thresholds are lower, and lower until they get shot of them.

Theres a number of different thresholds in the TC system isnt there? So I can see them coming down too if you're in a higher band of earning you'll get less.

Can see it coming.

x

I just think thats lazy

Leeds council just didn't bother processing our forms in time dispite them being back in time and me spends 3 days on the phone to them!

Sorry hun just read that back and it looked like I said you were being lazy, didnt mean that just my MIL did it for no reason

No offence to anyone but I think thats one of the main problems in this country. People having children when they cant afford them (I know accidents do happen). But why decide to have children when you know you can afford them.

The lad my OH works with gf already has one baby which was a accident. Now they are actively planning for another. And all they do is complain how they cant afford this and cant afford that. So why are they planning for another child?!

xxx

I do agree with you to an extent we're waiting til Im in a better paid job or a job that allows me to work part time before we have another. As hard as it is.

But at the same time I don't think it's fair to say don't have a baby unless you're well off.

Like for example my husband went to uni because his family could afford to put him through it, whereas mine couldn't, so he now has a degree which makes him more likely to get a better job then me. So if I'd married someone else who didn't have a degree or a good job because their parents couldn't afford it, does that mean that I shouldn't have a child?

Thats only an example Im not saying you need to have a degree to eaern money or anything, just another perspective, I dont see why money should judge wether you should have a baby or not.

But then again some people are responsible & claim what they need, and other pop kids out here there and everywhere to get benefits.

x

people who cannot afford to support a child shouldnt plan for one as it is not in the childs best interests

My exact point. You dont have to be well off. You just have to be able to afford it!

xx

yup we managed before we can manage again, cutbacks NEED to be made, it makes sense to make it in areas like these where they are literally as you say, a nice gesture, they aren't essential :shrug:

i got this grant when i was pregnant. im a single mum and REALLY struggled to get everything i needed for my lo. some people cant afford to lose out on things like that. i wouldnt have managed :nope:

IDK, I just think that you decided to get pregnant and/or have the baby so you should pay for them :shrug: Start as you mean to go on and all that.

i didnt DECIDE to have a baby. i ended up pregnant and dont believe in abortion
due to personal reasons i had lost over a grand and was skint
i lost my job due to my ex being fired
some of us need it

I know but it was still your decision hun :shrug: You cant expect other people to pay for your babys things, thats all im saying.

what was my decision?

xxx

x

No thats just an example, Im not saying you need to be rich & I do understand & agree with the point made but at the same time why should someone be judged or discriminated against because they've had a baby they can't 'afford'. Thats like saying you should only have a baby if you wont rely on ANY government help whatsoever.

How many people do you know who dont claim tax credits? bet its not a lot x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->