What is your final voting decision? *New Poll*

Poll Tax was what was Community Charge, the tax which came before Council Tax It was a flat rate tax on all tax payers. Instead of being taxed in relation to the value of your house, everyone paid the same flat rate, so the less well off paid the same tax as the rich- a grossly unfair taxation burden. It was introduced in Scotland a year before it was introduced in England and Wales, hence the great dislike of it here.

This why many, many Scots could never vote Tory and why people hark back to Maggie- the fact that Scotland had Polll Tax before everyone else, a tax that the vast majority of the UK thought as unfair.

Thankfully Alex Salmond is unlikely to ever get involved in a coalition with the Conservatives. For SNP, a referendum on independence is the cornerstone of their policies and as the Conservatives are a unionists it is highly unlikely they will make this concession.

see i think if we live in 1 country, we are governed by 1 government then we should all pay the same for prescriptions, have to pay the same for education, pay the same taxes, i really don't see how it is fair otherwise :shrug:

We do all pay the same taxes now. Health and education are 2 of the devolved powers which is why prescriptions charges are different here, the smoking ban came in first and there has been free care for the elderly for much longer. Due to the Scottish Parliament and the Welsh Assembly we are not really being governed by just 1 government. Domestic issues are devolved while things of national interest, such as the armed forces, are Westminster issues.

makes you wonder how scotland manage to have prescriptions for £3 but england have to pay almost £8, ..... stuff like that, england are clearly messing up somewhere if scotland manage to do it so low, bloody government lol

^^ that does seem very unfair- we pay nearly £200 a year in prescriptions. "Taxi to scotland"

Scotland has always had separate government (before the Scottish Parliament it was the Scotland Office) as it was the terms of the Union 300 years ago.

nope no more news on it, just that lot of people are speculating that lib dem wont get with the tories. People whos on the news channels talking about it x

Tee hee!

We were talking about the fact there is only one conservative seat in Scotland a few pages back and then why it is that they are so unpopular up here.

What will teh conservatives do now if they manage to joing forces with LIB dems.

xx

I think it would be really silly of the Lib Dems to form with the Tories, loads of people will of voted for Lib Dems because they didn't want to vote Tory, Lib Dems will lose so many supporters if they do it.
I'm a Labour supporter and i do like GB and think he hasn't done a bad job, but I do think if he'd of stepped down and given PM to Milaband (or done a vote for the next Labour leader) then more people would of voted Labour. I think the media have a lot to do with the way this has gone, which is such a shame.
x

I think it would be really silly of the Lib Dems to form with the Tories, loads of people will of voted for Lib Dems because they didn't want to vote Tory, Lib Dems will lose so many supporters if they do it.
I'm a Labour supporter and i do like GB and think he hasn't done a bad job, but I do think if he'd of stepped down and given PM to Milaband (or done a vote for the next Labour leader) then more people would of voted Labour. I think the media have a lot to do with the way this has gone, which is such a shame.
x

You could say loads of people voted Lib Dem because the didnt want to vote labour!

Its all swings and round abouts.

Im hoping for a Tory Lib Dem Coalition!

x

That'd be scary Tory is scary enough without Lib Dems joining forces. Surely itd go against what the Libs believe in though so I'm hoping Cleggy doesn't go with it

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->