What is your final voting decision? *New Poll*

Basically the Tories can say, well we don't to form a coalition with anyone, we'll run with the seats we have. They would be the minority because all of the other parties combined would have a greater number of seats. So anytime the Tories want to pass a new policy or something they run the risk of having it rejected because the other parties have more seats and therefore would have the majority vote iykwim?

lol true.

how does a minority gov work?

to be honest i think whatever way it goes now theres gonna be a total uproar one way or another...

You're right - I can't see anything but arguments and double dealing!

A minority government works by the main party (in this case the Tories) saying they feel they can govern. They will then have to court enough votes to get anything through. As the Tories have 307 seats (I think), they'd need to court 19 votes from elsewhere for every vote they have (assuming all Tories vote in favour of a policy). This will be done on an issue by issue basis. Some policies will be easy to achieve as they are also Lib Dem policies (support for poorer children in schools, scrapping ID cards are 2 I can think of) but others will be almost impossible (I can't see them getting huge votes for the inheritance tax threshold rise for example). What is likely to happen is either a watered down version of the manifesto goes through or they keep failing to get votes which will lead to a vote of no confidence and a re-election.

The up side of this situation is that policies will need to be properly debated. Having a huge majority means that the ideas of other parties can be basically ignored. That's great if it happens to be the party you agree with but isn't massively helpful in terms of all constituency voices being heard. Having to get agreement from other parties will mean much more discussion will be needed. Whether most MPs can debate like grown ups is another matter!

I can't see a minority government lasting long.

its just a big mess.
thanks to you both for explaining to me.
i actually have noooo idea whats gonna happen now

i like brown for the fact that he IS human, he makes mistakes. This whole clegg going to conservs and him thinking he has the right to go against tradition and call the shots even though he has so little seats has left a very bad taste in my mouth :growlmad:

To think i was so for him, feels like a total stab in the back really :(
He is only doing what he said all the time. if it was otherwise he would be a liar again. mainly I think though that youre not used to coalitions . before the current government we had a red green government, which would be like a tory/ labour govenment in UK
It wasnt the first time and it worked better than the corrent government of german liberals and conservatives(German contemporary liberals are much further right than your libdems )(left of the conservative party) the german greens are like the libdems though, only greener.)

He said he'd TALK to tories first, nothing else. He could easily have done that then spoke to labour before making a decision and he wouldn't have been going against his word.
well he hasnt finished talking yet has he?

it just baffles me still people "wanting" the tories :wacko: lol

AND that scotland clearly dont want them as they didnt get any votes/new seats, only the one they had before....:grr:

Same thing happened before with mags thatcher and she screwed scotland over with adding poll tax before england etc ... gah! :dohh:

Maybe a case for complete Scottish independence?

Since Scotland is so heavily Left Wing and England mostly Conservative. (Strip away the seats in Wales and Scotland and the Tories have a massive majority)

Scotland isn't all SNP, we have a lot of labour seats. If we wanted to be independant SNP would have majority :wacko:

it just baffles me still people "wanting" the tories :wacko: lol

AND that scotland clearly dont want them as they didnt get any votes/new seats, only the one they had before....:grr:

Same thing happened before with mags thatcher and she screwed scotland over with adding poll tax before england etc ... gah! :dohh:

Maybe a case for complete Scottish independence?

Since Scotland is so heavily Left Wing and England mostly Conservative. (Strip away the seats in Wales and Scotland and the Tories have a massive majority)

Scotland would love it, England wouldnt so just wont happen....mainly as we have main power over all the oil(is the norht sea and all) ...hence money...so yes england wont stand for that....we dont want wars. lol

I wouldn't love it.

I'd actually be sooo interested to see how things would pan out in a re-election. Holly can you make a new poll so we can see if the labour votes would go up and libdem down?

Also, does anyone on here really oppose ID cards? I think theyre a pretty good idea :shrug:

I do, it's just another level of Govt holding info on us and it is completely not needed - we have loads of ID already, why do we need more? It's not going to stop home grown terrorism, so what's it for?

I think a re-election would be very unfair. Everyone but the Tories (and Labour to a lesser degree) doesn't have any money for a 2nd election campaign. The Tories have multi-millionaires funding them, they can afford to spend a LOT on campaigning. This is why I support state funding for parties.

I think Everyone in this country should be on the DNA database. For one it will help with cases now. And I think many unsolved cases will be solved like murder etc as they will have DNA from a murder years ago and suddenly they will have a match from all the new DNA they have collected.

ID cards could not only be useful for crime etc they can be used to have medical details on. So when paramedics come to an incident they can know all the persons imortant medical detials from looking at the card or maybe have a barcode on the card so when it is scanned all imprtant info comes up

xx

i do too heather. people think its a case of a 'nanny state' though :roll:

I know blah maybe some don't realise that a card like that could save lives :nope:
xx

But how could it save a life? Paramedics knowing that I have had 2 kids and a c-section isn't going to make a difference to how I'm treated in a car accident. The majority of people that have medical issues that would need to be known about already carry medical alert necklaces/bracelets, and those that don't probably wouldn't carry and ID card either. I am yet to be convinced that paying millions of £££ for an ID card system is worth it or justified.

I think as the country stands ID cards are a bad idea, its unecessary money spent that we just dont have. Once our debt has been significantly reduced then i think we should go for it, i think its a good idea, just not a priority.

Blood groups, allergys especially to drugs that need to be given there and then at serious accidents doctors will attend who can adminster drugs but because he does not know your medical history/allergys he may notlike doing so, diabtics my nan didn carry anything in her so how wouldn they have know? There are loads of medical things that could help a paramedic at a scene. From talking to one a few months ago he was saying how much help it would be to his jon because they are basically going to a secene and trying to treat a person they know nothing about
xx

the country is currently millions of pounds in debt, they need to sort this out first before splashing the cash about on ID cards, putting everyone on a DNA database etc, it is an unnecessary expenditure (is that spelt right lol) at this exact moment in time ..... like CTF & HIP grants, these things could save us alot of money, get us back on out feet alot quicker then we can start looking at those 'extras' :)

I know that, but blah asked what people thought of them and I told her :)

xx

hun there are necklaces etc you can get that state someone is diabetic ..... maybe worth getting one for your nan? don't think they are overly expensive

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->