What is your final voting decision? *New Poll*

theres a programme on bbc1 tonight- why did scotland not vote tory

hmmm...i wonder

I'm loving this thread!

I don't think Brown is as unpopular as the media portray him. Unfortunately the media is overwhelmingly Tory (Murdoch's empire is Tory) and only the daily Mirror was in favour of Labour. This has meant that what we've seen has been one sided.

I'm sure if Cameron had called someone a bigot, it probably wouldn't have been reported! (Not that Brown should have said it by the way - but there aren't many people out there who haven't said something they shouldn't about someone!)

I don't think there will be any decisions for a few days yet. I'd rather that though if something sensible is finally agreed.

Seats down here in Cornwall are either Lib Dem or Tory :( They used to be mostly Lib Dems but this election has seen Torys coming out :( damnit!

lol there was an election in north rhine westphalia in germany today and the conservatives lost 10 % :D

but it is still very even xD
luckily the greens coalise mostly with the SPD (social democrats)

(still interesting to see how it turns out:)

cdu 34.5 spd 34.5 greens 12.1 fdp 6.8 lefts:5.6

Oh not been able to get on line for a couple of days and have just managed to catch up!

have joined the MILF party :thumbup:

So i would be interested to know everyones thoughts on electoral reform? I agree that the current system doesn't work, but proportional representation would mean parties like the BNP would get seats in parliament and that scares the hell out of me! And I think Proportional representation could lead to even more hung parliament type situations as it would have been even more of an even 3 way split this time had it been P.R.

I dunno, things need to change but I am not P.R is the way forward when we have such a lot of wacko's who vote for outrageous parties (IMO).

I need to sleep on that question, my brainpower is slowly decreasing as the night goes on :rofl:

My whole area is Conservative but I'm in favour of Labour and voted for them. Not that it did much use as the whole of the east of England is Conservative.

I really hope there is a labour/lib dem coalition....fingers crossed.

dont wanna sound stupid but...

is electoral reform like changing the system just now i take it?

yeah proportional representation would have pros but HUGE cons too
xx

I am glad I trusted my instincts on Clegg. Glad I didnt vote for him. I can understand WHY he needs to speak to cons first but I am not impressed.

was anything new said on the news?
i didnt wanna miss desperate housewives lol

So i would be interested to know everyones thoughts on electoral reform? I agree that the current system doesn't work, but proportional representation would mean parties like the BNP would get seats in parliament and that scares the hell out of me! And I think Proportional representation could lead to even more hung parliament type situations as it would have been even more of an even 3 way split this time had it been P.R.

I dunno, things need to change but I am not P.R is the way forward when we have such a lot of wacko's who vote for outrageous parties (IMO).

I'm not sure we'll have PR as I just don't think the MPs will be willing to risk such a huge change. Whether we should though, I'm undecided.

I take your point about the BNP but at the end of the day 1/2 million people in this country voted for them and in a proper democracy that means they should have a say. I'm not sure that would be such a bad thing as it would allow proper argument and discussion about their nutjob policies. When Nick Griffin appeared on Question Time he came across as an idiot and was ripped to shreds. Having chance to discuss, disagree and argue would hopefully open up more people's eye to the vitriolic nonsense the BNP spout.

Of course, there are a number of types of PR systems (as far as I know - I'm no expert!) so it would depend on which one.

If we stick to a similar system to the one we have, a definite change we need is to have constituency sizes which are roughly equal. At the moment some constituencies are twice the size of others which means some people's votes are worth half as much. That is clearly not fair!

Also, currently there are some constituencies which are always labour or always Tory (usually inner city = red, rural = blue). that means if you live in a rural area as a labour supporter, your vote is basically useless. If there was a system where you ranked your preference then this would change. The danger there would be that the person to get in would be the "least disliked" which doesn't necessarily make for getting things done.

No system is fool proof and there would need to be lots of discussion about the proposals before any referendum was worthwhile.

In answer to your question (my goodness, I've wittered on!), I'm not against PR but it would need to be very clearly explained and thought out, hence why I'm undecided.

Oh not been able to get on line for a couple of days and have just managed to catch up!

have joined the MILF party :thumbup:

Is all of europe governed by outrageous parties?

I would be a very strong supporter of the UK getting the Additional Member system in the same way that Scotland has. It's still simple and still has the ties to constituencies but is a LOT fairer than the current FPTP system that we have.

No news yet this morning? :sleep:

I thought they had to have come to a decision today?

i *think* ..... (i might be wrong lol) They have until the queens speech on the 24th to make a decision

The reason they need to hopefully do it by today is because with an unstable government, which is effectively what we have right now, the markets are likely to crash causing more problems, people are not going to want to invest in a country where we have no stable government

Ahhh ok, i did think the 25th but then i saw everyone going on about today which confuzzled me :lol:

I wish they'd just hurry up and get on with it, theyve had a good few days to talk it over :hissy:

the negotiators are currently meeting again (6 hours yesterday and dunno how many today), Clegg & Cameron met again last night face to face for 45 mins, Cameron is meeting with his MP's again tonight at 6pm ..... not looking hopefully me thinks!

Even once the negotiators strike a deal they they have to take it to the leaders who both have to agree, then they have to take it to the MP's who I think 75% have to agree for it to them go ahead, to be honest I can see all that taking at least a few more days :shrug:

BTW how do i send my manifesto lol

Clegg is reeeeally dragging this out lol I think he's doing it for a laugh. He's going to go into all these talks with Cameron, get the press following him everywhere, get us all thinking we're doomed, then he's going to turn round and go "Haaa, got ya! I'm going with Gordo" :lol:

Clegg is reeeeally dragging this out lol I think he's doing it for a laugh. He's going to go into all these talks with Cameron, get the press following him everywhere, get us all thinking we're doomed, then he's going to turn round and go "Haaa, got ya! I'm going with Gordo" :lol:

lmao, I HOPE your right, although my gut tells me *IF* lib dems were to go with Labour, one of the conditions would be that good old GB step down as PM:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->