When did you wean?

i think a lot of young mums are often in a hurry to wean early because they think it'll be fun etc. Thats not a reason to do it.
Life was so much easier when he just had milk!:rofl:

I'm only wondering because she takes in almost 50oz of milk a day. I'm not diving into it until after her doc says its ok and I won't even see him till after she's 4 months. She's had cereal since 12 weeks and I gave her a tsp of squash yesterday but I won't do it again because she didn't take to it well IMO

4 months with Ella and 6 months with Carly :)

i think a lot of young mums are often in a hurry to wean early because they think it'll be fun etc. Thats not a reason to do it.

Soryy, that was rude.... and untrue. There are lots of reasons to wean early. In Canada we were following the wean at 6 months rule, however healthcare professionals are beginning to revert back to recommending 4 months. It is not dangerous, its not a health risk to the baby.

i'm amazed 12 people have already voted for the fact they weaned before 4 months. Thats just medically wrong. And dangerous surely?

QUOTE]

dangerous how? its not like rice is given to a month old.....?? Maley was started at 2 and a bit months and she is fine.....really content and for those who say its causes obesity, well Maley has continued gaining weight at the same level as she has been since birth....she is nearly four months and is 11lb 7oz.....diffrent parents and different babies....

alot of hv's recommend weaning if milk is not sustaining your baby just as some recommend it at 6 months...

We tried weaning Aaron at 5 months, but it actually made him so ill that we had to stop and didn't start weaning again properly until about 9 or 10 months. He was fine on breastmilk until then and eats properly now, in fact he's never refused anything we've given to him since!

Sounds like Renah is one very hungry baby though! :laugh2:

i'm amazed 12 people have already voted for the fact they weaned before 4 months. Thats just medically wrong. And dangerous surely?

QUOTE]

dangerous how? its not like rice is given to a month old.....?? Maley was started at 2 and a bit months and she is fine.....really content and for those who say its causes obesity, well Maley has continued gaining weight at the same level as she has been since birth....she is nearly four months and is 11lb 7oz.....diffrent parents and different babies....

alot of hv's recommend weaning if milk is not sustaining your baby just as some recommend it at 6 months...

if it's rice in milk so it's liquid then maybe it's not dangerous, but if someone was to try something too thick, say puree, with a baby who cant hold it's head or sit up straight it increases the chances of choking. I read it somewhere or other. They recomend we wait until baby can sit unaided to wean.

Soryy, that was rude.... and untrue. There are lots of reasons to wean early. In Canada we were following the wean at 6 months rule, however healthcare professionals are beginning to revert back to recommending 4 months. It is not dangerous, its not a health risk to the baby.

it'd be rude if it was targeted at someone but it wasnt.
it's natural for people to get excited about seeing baby try new things. It's perfectly natural to want that exciting time sooner rather than later. I know I was looking foward to seeing my LOs reaction to different tastes. It was something new and exciting we could share. I started the target with "I think". so it's my opinion. Which is fine.
I said "younger" because I just assumed that very young mums are perhaps more swayed by advertising etc though perhaps that was wrong of me. Change my post to " some mums" instead of "a lot of young mums"

I dont think the World Health Organization are changing their minds on when to wean baby and it's them that advise our health professionals. I'm going to listen to them. personally.
It can be a health risk to baby if baby is filling up on solids and not getting as much milk as he/she should have surely?

No offence was meant. I'm not mean. Just tired perhaps!!!
I just meant that people should make sure they're ready to wean for the right reasons. It's easy to get carried away.

Scorpio has stated her reasons for thinking of weaning earlier...Renah is drinking 50 ounces a day and I believe the recommendation is 42 ounces per day before weaning occurs?? That's what I was told anyways.

This isn't a debate over whether to wean early or not. The guidelines are just those guidelines, they don't work for every baby or in every situation.

Scorpio has stated her reasons for thinking of weaning earlier...Renah is drinking 50 ounces a day and I believe the recommendation is 42 ounces per day before weaning occurs?? That's what I was told anyways.

This isn't a debate over whether to wean early or not. The guidelines are just those guidelines, they don't work for every baby or in every situation.

Completely agree Vickie

Sorry i cant vote yet Rae but if i could it would of been the 4 month mark, thats when i intend to start Brooke to try and ease her reflux.

I deffo think seeing the doctor about your hungry hippo is a good idea though she'll eat you out of house and home at this rate :rofl:

it's natural for people to get excited about seeing baby try new things. It's perfectly natural to want that exciting time sooner rather than later. I know I was looking foward to seeing my LOs reaction to different tastes. It was something new and exciting we could share. I started the target with "I think". so it's my opinion. Which is fine.
I said "younger" because I just assumed that very young mums are perhaps more swayed by advertising etc though perhaps that was wrong of me. Change my post to " some mums" instead of "a lot of young mums"

I dont think the World Health Organization are changing their minds on when to wean baby and it's them that advise our health professionals. I'm going to listen to them. personally.
It can be a health risk to baby if baby is filling up on solids and not getting as much milk as he/she should have surely?

I just meant that people should make sure they're ready to wean for the right reasons. It's easy to get carried away.

sounds to me like it was directed at the ladies who voted 'before 4 months' in the poll. one of which was me. dangerous? are you a health professional? a consultant with 50 years experience in child digestive health research? or are you just going on what you've heard or tentatively researched in the press? i respect the fact that you choose to wean later. now please respect my decision and the other girls decisions on here. and i apologise in advance if this comes across as pissy.... but that is my two penneth, seeing as you've had yours.

sounds to me like it was directed at the ladies who voted 'before 4 months' in the poll. one of which was me. dangerous? are you a health professional? a consultant with 50 years experience in child digestive health research? or are you just going on what you've heard or tentatively researched in the press? i respect the fact that you choose to wean later. now please respect my decision and the other girls decisions on here. and i apologise in advance if this comes across as pissy.... but that is my two penneth, seeing as you've had yours.

I was just amazed at how many have weaned so early or how many felt they needed to wean early. wow. didnt meant to upset anyone. It was not directed at anyone specific. It was vague. if you wean for the right reasons at the right time for you then great.

I work for the World Health Organization as it goes - not as a doctor mind you! - so kind of trust their advice. Well, I'm obviously on leave right now, but I've worked there for years and trust them as an advising body.

No offence meant, I was just shocked.

Forgive me!?

I weaned at 14 weeks on recommendation of a health visitor and a GP. My son was 10 lb 6 oz at birth he is a big hungry boy. I also didnt do it as it as it will be fun and less hassle. I did it because I couldnt stand listening to my son scream with hunger after a 9 oz bottle. He also has reflux which has now improved due to weaning. I have to say he is a healthy boy and the health visitors are helping me giving me advice and just being on hand if I am worried about anything.

Exactly! I didn't make this thread to cause a debate or anything, I was strictly looking for when people weaned!!

so we cant wander off the main aim of a thread and have a discussion? ...::shrug:
If there's a poll and the results suprise us, cant we comment? I wanted to make people make sure they wean for the right reasons, thats all. It wasnt an answer to the writer of the thread. It was a comment to the world and readers in general.

I'm not mean. But am feeling misunderstood and upset.

I was just amazed at how many have weaned so early or how many felt they needed to wean early. wow. didnt meant to upset anyone. It was not directed at anyone specific. It was vague. if you wean for the right reasons at the right time for you then great.

I work for the World Health Organization as it goes - not as a doctor mind you! - so kind of trust their advice. Well, I'm obviously on leave right now, but I've worked there for years and trust them as an advising body.

No offence meant, I was just shocked.

Forgive me!?

:hugs:

I used to do nutritional anthropology which covered a lot of guidance from the WHO. A good source of advice and research but not gospel.

I didn't mean to offend. Just wanted to defend my corner! Like a nasty little cat!

And Rae, sorry if this got off topic!

xx

I used to do nutritional anthropology which covered a lot of guidance from the WHO. A good source of advice and research but not gospel.

I didn't mean to offend. Just wanted to defend my corner! Like a nasty little cat!

And Rae, sorry if this got off topic!

xx

so we cant wander off the main aim of a thread and have a discussion? ...::shrug:
If there's a poll and the results suprise us, cant we comment? I wanted to make people make sure they wean for the right reasons, thats all. It wasnt an answer to the writer of the thread. It was a comment to the world and readers in general.

I'm not mean. But am feeling misunderstood and upset.

I didn't aim that at you alone. I meant it to everyone who was trying to debate it. It just wasn't meant as a thread to debate if its right or not :blush: Just trying to not cause any trouble thats all! Sorry

Well tonight is the night for me! Savannah is ready; mum, me and the day care lady thinks so, lol. 5 and a half months isn't too bad. :)

17 weeks for us for weaning, so just started really. HV said it was fine, Lauryn is a big baby and was showing signs etc. Keeping it very bland at the moment tho, some baby rice, mashed banana, pureed carrots and sweet potato so far! Not quite sure how to progress just following her lead!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->