When would you start packing if you were me?

Jaysmummy

Mum of 3 and WTT
Reaction score
We are due to move house in 4 weeks. We should get the keys 26th/27th March and need to move in completely by the 2nd April as that is when our current tenancy ends and new one is to start.

My baby is due April 6th :wacko:

So I'm thinking should I be organised and start packing ASAP? But then where do i store the stuff? Dont want it laying round the floor for 4 weeks Or wait and let OH and others do I for me? :rofl:

There's so much we need to do, order and get carpets/flooring fitted, get new washer and cooker, wardrobes etc it's stressing me out already!

Tbh apart from sofa, tv, fridge and beds we aren't taking much big things it's clothes and toys that will take the most packing up I think.

When I moved I packed like 10 weeks in advance lol! I packed up everything I didn't need for the next few months first (winter clothes in my case) and boxed up stuff in cupboards etc, stored everything out of the way in cupboards at first, then moved on to other things like ornaments etc, kitchen I packed away everything put a few dishes etc, lived with two saucepans and lots of take-aways.

Most people I know leave things last minute though, but I am one of those really annoying organised people who the week before I am calm as everything is done, the day of is really calm. lol! My SIL left everything until a few days before and the day of the move was still packing. The end result was the same though, we both moved, i did all the rushing and stressing weeks before and she did on the day.

Being pregnant i would probably start now and take it easy though. Good luck x

Oh wow that move date is so close to your due date!!
If it were me I'd start now. I've started moving but my OH lives in the new place already and I only get to go over there to see him on weekends so its a matter of taking some each trip over. I figure the sooner I get it done the better, since its not going to get any easier for me to pack things the bigger I get lol

I started packing 2 weeks before and took my time around work and having a toddler. All the stuff you dont need packed away first, sort out a basic set of clothes to wear and pack away the rest. Books, dvds etc all went first too.

Hmmmmm yeah I'm thinking of starting with clothes (as most in my wardrobe don't fit atm anyway :haha:) and toys that the kids don't play with, then move on to other stuff and leave the kitchen and living room til last.

xx

Toys the kids dont play with....we found these invaluable to have at the new place to play with whilst cleaning/painting etc the new place before the more. Old toys suddenly become a new interest :lol:

I am the last person to ask. I moved just before Xmas and I was still packing when the removal men turned up. I was literally putting things in boxes and passing them straight to the movers to load on the van.

I vote for packing up anything not absolutely necessary to your everyday life asap. You'll feel a lot better for it, I bet.
Plus if you start now, it will give you time to do the moving purge and simply thrift all the excess crap you weed out. Then you don't have to move it! :)

we packed it all up over 3 or 4 weeks and then did the last lot the day before, like plates etc.

we packed the non essential bits about 2 weeks before we moved. it took us so long, we had so much rubbish to get rid of.
good luck with the move :flower:

i moved when i was pregnant with jake but i was only about 31 weeks or something!

i was due to move on 16th feb last year, LO was due 12th Feb.. luckly i was at my mums still.. kind of. so was no rush to get everything out. i packed most stuff like clothes i wasnt in at the time & babys clothes except a few bits incase she arrived.. anyway she arrived on 20th Feb & we had all moved in.

i would pack things you dont NEED now but label the boxes/bags so if you do happen to need anything you know where it will be. x

I always start packing/decluttering the non-essentials very early on - so things like books, DVDs, ornaments etc. Label what's in every box, if needs be don't seal them up with tape yet (cos sod's law is you'll then need something that's IN the box) and just stack 'em somewhere out of the way. I found if I did 2-3 boxes a night (hubby nabbed them all from work so the supply was more a constant dribble than a flood) then when it got near to move date I could see the pile of stuff done and not sob at the amount still to do - cos when you get to things like the kitchen it's really demoralising as the stuff just keeps on coming!

Of course in our case we were moving a few doors down the road, hubby then developed man flu and muggins had to move it ALL herself - including 18 boxes of flaming books!

Eek id start packing tge small bits up already.. I'd be so worried all the packing & moving would set me into labour lol

Eek id start packing tge small bits up already.. I'd be so worried all the packing & moving would set me into labour lol

I'm actually hoping it will :haha:

Thank you for all the advice, I have a few boxes so think I might start sorting and packing!

Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->