Who else does the 4 gifts thing?

Hermione394

Reaction score
So this year, we are trying to save for a house...so we're cutting down on Christmas shopping. What we are doing for the kids is:

Something you Want
Something you Need
Something to Wear
Something to Read

On top of this, they have stockings and sibling store (we buy stuff for the kids from/to each other and they 'shop' in our room one at a time).

Does anyone else do something like this? The kids have 3 Christmas' usually, so I'm trying to be reasonable about it...but it's hard to cut back!

I do that for birthdays. I tried for Christmas a couple years ago and was unable to stick to it. For birthdays for some reason though I can do so no problem.

I tried this one year.......... it didnt work lol

I could not get away with that, my kids would think santa has abandoned them!!:haha:

I done that with my family (excluding my children) last year. It worked really well x

This is a good idea, we have four children between us and this year before Xmas my new baby will be born too so 5, so where I have a lot of baby things to buy and we are getting married next year we have an awful lot to spend out for I might just do this this year for our kids to cut back, they will still get their full stockings aswell and a Xmas eve box and if I'm honest I think it would do them good to have a year cut back, they don't appreciate what they get anyway the amount of toys they don't play with or break and not look after I'm getting rather sick of it so I think maybe they have been a bit over spoiled with presents really

I don't think this will be a permanent thing, I admit it's really hard to reel in shopping for them! But I definitely think they'd prefer for us to have a house on a bit of land so they can run around. Right now we live in the middle of the city, zero yard space. So we are either stuck inside all weekend, or we're paying a fortune to do stuff with them since they all say they outgrew the park now :cry:.

I do really like the idea of this, although I don't think I'd be able to do it now, I'm too addicted to buying toys :dohh:. But when they're older and want things like a gaming system (is that what you call them? I feel like an old lady :dohh:) rather than a bunch of smaller toys and piece of jewellery/nice jacket/latest trainers for something to wear rather than the cheapest, most hideous Peppa Pig top like my DD1 craves :haha:. It would be a great way to focus on what they'd really like.
Can I ask what your sibling store is? It sounds like a lovely family tradition :)

I do really like the idea of this, although I don't think I'd be able to do it now, I'm too addicted to buying toys :dohh:. But when they're older and want things like a gaming system (is that what you call them? I feel like an old lady :dohh:) rather than a bunch of smaller toys and piece of jewellery/nice jacket/latest trainers for something to wear rather than the cheapest, most hideous Peppa Pig top like my DD1 craves :haha:. It would be a great way to focus on what they'd really like.
Can I ask what your sibling store is? It sounds like a lovely family tradition :)

Sure! Sibling Store is a tradition we started about 5 years ago. We buy 4 gifts for each kid, and then bring them into our room 1 at a time. When they come into our room we have all the gifts in piles, with the gifts to the kid who is shopping hidden. Then they "shop" for what they want to give each sibling and wrap them. We buy one extra gift for each kid so even the younger ones have options. It's easier for us to do it this way, because when we have taken them into the stores to pick out gifts they either A) pick out something THEY want, and not the sibling or B) spend twice the amount of what they are budgeted.

A friend of mine is doing that this year :) I love the idea and would do it but my daughter would be a little confused as her previous Christmas' weren't like that.

Now when she is older and knows there isn't such thing as Santa, I think I will do that, along with a family gift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->