Who has circumcised their little boy?

And it's comments like that that turn these discussions nasty.

It isn't mutilation or abuse, it's only called those things by people who think their way is the only way. Good thing parents have a choice to do what they feel is best for their child, whether it be for religious reason, medical or personal choice. There ARE benefits to having it done, whether that is reason enough for everyone or not, it's a personal choice, but it's not like there is absolutely no reason to do it. I think it would probably be best to leave words like "mutilation" and "abuse" out of the discussion, if you don't agree say your stance and move on.

OH's Brother in Law even went on to say it will make him grow taller if you get it done. WTF! 0.0 was all that ran through my head.

things like that make me shake my head in disbelief! I understand those who may have been lead to believe there are medical benefits, and things like that, but silly things like that i just dont get!

Tell me about it. He was saying anything and everything to push my decision the way he wanted it to go. It was ridiculous and i think extremely rude to not just accept my decision. I mean for heavens sake i just gave birth... why would someone be trying to push things on someone at that moment in time

OH's Brother in Law even went on to say it will make him grow taller if you get it done. WTF! 0.0 was all that ran through my head.

things like that make me shake my head in disbelief! I understand those who may have been lead to believe there are medical benefits, and things like that, but silly things like that i just dont get!

Tell me about it. He was saying anything and everything to push my decision the way he wanted it to go. It was ridiculous and i think extremely rude to not just accept my decision. I mean for heavens sake i just gave birth... why would someone be trying to push things on someone at that moment in time

Its not even his decision! I know what you mean though, my MIL tried to push it on me along with changing the name we picked! we named him after my dad, she wanted him named after my OH's grandmother.....patsy is not an appropriate boys name!

And it's comments like that that turn these discussions nasty.

It isn't mutilation or abuse, it's only called those things by people who think their way is the only way. Good thing parents have a choice to do what they feel is best for their child, whether it be for religious reason, medical or personal choice. There ARE benefits to having it done, whether that is reason enough for everyone or not, it's a personal choice, but it's not like there is absolutely no reason to do it. I think it would probably be best to leave words like "mutilation" and "abuse" out of the discussion, if you don't agree say your stance and move on.

I agree, those two terms "abuse" and "mutilation" are a bit harsh to use in a instance like this. You cant say that a child who is circumsized is Mutilated or abused. Abuse to me would be considered as something to harm your child that has no benefit to it at all. Such as hitting your child or as my mother did when i was little locking me and my brother in a closet. But the mothers who chose to circumsize did it for the benefit of there child, because they love them and believe that is whats best for there situation. Mutilation.. well that is just a :dohh: moment because then you would have to consider a girl getting her ears pierced mutilation and such. Doesnt that sound a bit off? Just my Opinion

Although im sure she really didnt mean to offend anyone. Just didnt find the proper words to use for such a sensetive subject

*sighs*

I honestly didn't know this was such a sensitive subject and people had such strong opinions on this and it would anger some people otherwise i wouldn't have started the thread to be honest!

It is a sensitive subject when there are a number of mothers out there who cannot understand why it is still practised, for religious reasons or otherwise.
I do not understand Judasiam so I wont comment.
Im a spiritualist myself (non religious) so I let my children make their own decisions, unless it was something that was found to detriment their health. I dont think it will be long before this thread is locked because it is so emotive. Its hard to see both sides of the coin when you have no experience of a subject. :D

If circumcision had real, proven benefits it would be advised as a routine procedure to take after the birth of your son - health professionals i know only recommend it if it is medically necessary.

I'm not attacking by the way, i just think it's strange that if there are benefits it isn't recommended to us to have the procedure carried out on our sons.

All the health benifits go out of the window if you teach your child to have good genreal hygiene and to pratice safe sex
xx

its a touchy subject for me caus im going to end up with one son circ' and one not my eldest is intact although he has a spilt forskin and has from birth we were asked if we wanted him circ' in light of this but decided it wasnt nessacary and the doctors agreed there was no medical reason for it, my second boy has hypospadias which means theres an issue with his urethra being on the underside of his penis and at the bottom of the glands (head of the penis ) and he will need corrective surgery to reconstruct his urethra and place it properly at the end of the penis and to do this they will Circ' him to use that skin rather than take the skin from elsewhere on his body to do it.

Im really upset that my baby has to have surgery and will be in pain because of that and i know its more invasive and intricate procedure than a normal circ' but i cry everytime i think of my baby going under the knife and having to explain to my boys in future why they look different to each other and why ds1 looks like daddy and ds2 doesnt,

Its not something id ever have done if i had choice but he has to have this surgery and he has to have it when hes a bit older and things are the right size for surgeons to be able to work on them safely,

Ive been upset over the boys getting blood tests, their imunisations and the sores they have from their BCG jabs so surgery is scary for me to think about for their sakes

its a touchy subject for me caus im going to end up with one son circ' and one not my eldest is intact although he has a spilt forskin and has from birth we were asked if we wanted him circ' in light of this but decided it wasnt nessacary and the doctors agreed there was no medical reason for it, my second boy has hypospadias which means theres an issue with his urethra being on the underside of his penis and at the bottom of the glands (head of the penis ) and he will need corrective surgery to reconstruct his urethra and place it properly at the end of the penis and to do this they will Circ' him to use that skin rather than take the skin from elsewhere on his body to do it.

Im really upset that my baby has to have surgery and will be in pain because of that and i know its more invasive and intricate procedure than a normal circ' but i cry everytime i think of my baby going under the knife and having to explain to my boys in future why they look different to each other and why ds1 looks like daddy and ds2 doesnt,

Its not something id ever have done if i had choice but he has to have this surgery and he has to have it when hes a bit older and things are the right size for surgeons to be able to work on them safely,

Ive been upset over the boys getting blood tests, their imunisations and the sores they have from their BCG jabs so surgery is scary for me to think about for their sakes

dont beat yourself up over it, what happened to your baby was no-ones fault. because of the surgery im sure anethestics will be used so he wont feel a thing. *hugs*

my 4 year old has a tight foreskin. he has to go to the gp on wednesday and they will decide whether a circumcision is needed or not. i hope not as i really dont want him to have to go under the knife. we shall have to wait and see. circumcision for non medical reasons i guess is like ear piercing - personal/social/religious choice

My LO will be circumcised tomorrow :)
i'm feelng pretty nervous..

It's very common where I'm from, but if I ever have a boy, I probably won't do it. My husband isn't, and it's never been an issue for him, and to be honest, I think it's unnecessary. There really aren't benefits to it that make it worth it in my opinion.
I've heard some people (not in this thread, but in past circ threads, and people I know as well) say they had it done/will have it done so their little boy doesn't get made fun of in school...that's the most bizarre reasoning for it I've ever heard. I guess since I'm not a boy I don't know for sure, but I don't imagine they go around comparing?? Maybe I'm wrong though.
Anyways....I would NEVER judge anyone who has it done, my best friend actually had both of her boys done. I don't think there is anything wrong with it, I just personally wouldn't want to. I really think referring to it as "mutilation" or "abuse" is very unfair, and totally wrong.

the stats here in the states are 50/50 on circ. I can guarantee you if these stupid insurance companies stopped paying for it, it would drop off.

Where I live, the insurance companies have stopped covering circumcision. If we want to have it done, we have to pay out of pocket. It is considered "elective surgery". I always thought that we would do it, but now I am not so sure....

I am so glad to see how civil this topic has stayed. I have seen a few get nasty today alone.

Never! If your born with something it's obviously meant to be there in my opinion. I think this clean excuse is silly, foreskin is there to protect the penis & along as an acceptable form of hygiene is maintained then...

this is an old thread and I've already posted on it.. lol oops

it makes me feel sick the thought of it i would never ever do it unless there was a medical reason and even then id be heartbroken id be the same with the thought of him having any type of surgery. i was in bits when my LO had to have his jags never mind actual surgery it would just end me xxx

my OH was circumcised at 5yrs due to problems and he remembers the pain even now at 36yrs, said it was like peeing glass and the tears... BUT my brother was circumcised as a baby and it was over and done with just like that.
They aren't aware of it at such a young age - a lot of it is the thinking about what has been done effect, lets face it, the thought of it even to us girls makes us gulp and that is exactly what a lot of 'pain' is - the mind.
In my opinion it isn't mutilation etc... that is WAY to OTT.
Some cultures it is the norm and I guess if you aren't part of that it is kind of hard to understand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->