Work messing me around with my Maternity Leave GRRRRR!

leanne_h_89

Reaction score
So, I handed my Mat B1 in when I hit 25 weeks and I'm meant to have one to one with my personnel manager there and then, but she told me to give her the form and go back another day as she was busy.
I've been going back every day since and I'm now nearly 28 weeks and wanted to take my leave at the start of July.
Now she said it's not enough notice, so I've contacted my union rep. I have to give 28 days notice in writing for my leave.

So...today I went to hand the letter in and she point blank refused to take it from me saying she was overloaded with work and would lose it and that I need to go back another day. I'm on a one week holiday this week so I'll have to travel in yet again on a day off, but for every day she puts it off my maternity is going to be a day later.

She doesn't seem to realise my baby is coming, it's not a 48 hour bug that will go away and she needs to address it ASAP!

Any help?

send her the letter by recorded delivery with your notice in so she has to sign with royal mail to say she has recieved it :-/ not much she can do then she cant hand it back to the post man lol xx

Disgrace, absolute disgrace!!! No one is that busy they cannot take a letter or sit down with you for 5 mins. This Personnel Manager is a disgrace to my profession (I'm an HR Manager and have never in my life treated someone this way!).

Can you scan and email her the letter? Put a delivery receipt on it - copy your trade union in - in fact, what help are you getting from the union? Tell them you pay your fees and you want action now.

Also, make sure you put in the letter when you personally delivered your MATB1 and how many times (include dates) you have approached her and she has refused to see you - this will protect you just in case in future you need to build a case against her.

Good luck x

Disgrace, absolute disgrace!!! No one is that busy they cannot take a letter or sit down with you for 5 mins. This Personnel Manager is a disgrace to my profession (I'm an HR Manager and have never in my life treated someone this way!).

Can you scan and email her the letter? Put a delivery receipt on it - copy your trade union in - in fact, what help are you getting from the union? Tell them you pay your fees and you want action now.

Also, make sure you put in the letter when you personally delivered your MATB1 and how many times (include dates) you have approached her and she has refused to see you - this will protect you just in case in future you need to build a case against her.

Good luck x

Absolutely agree with you palange - I'm also in HR and this is disgraceful. You should do exactly as palange suggests so that it's very clear you have done everything you've needed to do to give notice of your leave. You should then receive written confirmation of your leave within 28 days - you might want to highlight that in your letter as well, so she knows you are aware of this and she might, just might pull her finger out.

It also might be worth considering copying in her manager so that they are aware of what she is saying to people (it's unlikely to be just you she is fobbing off like this). This always tends to be an effective way to kick someone into action.

One thing I don't understand; isnt the date of your leave in your MATB1 anyway? Why do you need to give your employer any other sort of notification? If the date is in your MATB1 form (which it should be) and the employer has received it there is no need for anything else on your part at least - but just for peace of mind email her to confirm the date and remind her of her obligations as your employer...

xx

Thanks for all the feedback, no my Mat B1 only had my estimated due date on it was only a small piece of paper.
I've had trouble with personnel only a few weeks ago as I was on the sick because I have a history of back problems but they left me on the deli counter and I found it really difficult. I've now been moved to lighter duties, buy want to take my maternity when I'm around 32 weeks as I'm starting to get uncomfortable in my uniform in the heat. I've worked there since I was 16 and I feel that's where the problem is as they don't take me seriously, my risk assessment was her sitting ticking a sheet infront of me without my input.
Feels like I just want to shake her and say LISTEN TO ME!!!!

One thing I don't understand; isnt the date of your leave in your MATB1 anyway? Why do you need to give your employer any other sort of notification? If the date is in your MATB1 form (which it should be) and the employer has received it there is no need for anything else on your part at least - but just for peace of mind email her to confirm the date and remind her of her obligations as your employer...

xx

MATB1s only confirm your due date. You then have to submit separate written notice saying when you want your mat leave to start.

Thought I'd let you all know I finally got things sorted!! After getting higher management and my union involved the date is now set! 4th July as I wanted :)

aw well done! there is nothing like a brick wall coming down to make your day! well done hun and now relaaaaaaaax xkx

Happy days at least you got it all sorted xx

Thought I'd let you all know I finally got things sorted!! After getting higher management and my union involved the date is now set! 4th July as I wanted :)

Fantastic! It's amazing how getting someone higher up involved suddenly gets things moving. Did she offer any kind of apology for messing you around?

im the in same boat as you :cry: my manager hasnt approved my annual leave for 2 WEEKS TIME!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, she's such a b*tch and i cant take it anymore.

I hope you get yours sorted x

Edit: just saw that you did!! well done! please wish me luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back