WWYD unsure if df will get paid on day rent is due!

baileybubs

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Ok so I'm not sure what to do here. My df has left his old job, started a new one yesterday but is due his wages on Friday. For one I'm not sure if the bank holiday will affect that as my payday is a day later but mine should be Thursday.
His boss assured him he would be paid correctly etc despite leaving so I know she will pay him but my problem is that Friday is our rent day. The last 3 months my df has been paid on the Friday, but not until 6-7pm which I always thought was really odd. Last month it didn't go in til 11am the Saturday. To me that means it's highly likely he won't get his last wage from this place until Friday evening or even Saturday morning, meaning the rent standing order will be declined.

I don't know what to do about it, normally I would have money saved up that could cover it however I've had a rubbish month, my car has broken down twice costing me a fortune, my maternity pay wasn't paid at all last week and they say they are apparently sorting it out this week and my df has failed his driving test twice again this month which has cost us again! So my savings are a little depleted and doesn't leave us enough for the council tax, sky bill and rent which are all due by Friday if df doesn't get his wages.

What do you think my best option is? Just stop worrying and see what happens, coz in theory he should be paid on Friday which covers everything fine? Or phone my landlady and ask if I can pay the following Monday instead of Friday? What would you do?

Hello,

I'd phone up and explain as people tend to be a lot more agreeable when they know what is happening!

Personally, I would not ask for leeway and give the landlord wind of any financial struggles.

I would dip into my emergency fund and then replenish that as soon as the payment came in. If I did not have that, I would do a cash transfer from my credit card to my chequing acct. and pay it back immediately (not a good thing to do, but this is a rare and desperate situation).

It really bothers me that people have trouble receiving their maternity benefits! That shouldn't happen and IMO is unacceptable!

Thanks for the reply hun, it was a few weeks ago though and situation ended up ten times worse, my df's old boss is actually refusing to pay him his last wages (approx £1200) and we are having to take her to small claims court. My maternity pay has been sorted and in the end we borrowed money from df's parents to pay the rent so we are all ok there. Df gets paid his first months pay from his new job on 26th so once we get there we will be back on track, just scrimping and saving every penny until then. Not what I need right now whilst heavily pregnant but we will get through, we always do! And we have at least learnt a lesson about making sure we have savings put away, its sometimes just so hard to save in the currenbt economy when the cost of living itself is so high!! But once we have been to the small claims court (and hopefully we win coz its illegal to withhold pay for any reason) then that will be going straight away as the emergency fund and wont be touched!

It def can be tough with a lot of bills to save. It has to be livable. No sense in putting money into a fund that you need for necessities. My suggestion is to make small goals and just keep working at it best you can. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->