**2015 August Fireflies** 90 bundles of summer Love!

Greats, sorry you're still not feeling well. Rant away, it can be tough dealing with a cranky toddler particularly when you're not feeling well.

Sass, that poop story :sick: Isla has not played with her poop yet, I hope it never happens...

Bebedreamer, funny I also looked into being a midwife as well (and a doula). Unfortunately, not the easiest career to have with young children, particularly as we don't have any close family living nearby.

Dsemcho, glad everything looks good!

My current predicament, my Boss wants to go grab drinks tomorrow after the Office Party to say thanks for my hard work since I've been back. It would only be me and him, which means I would not be able to hide the fact that I wouldn't be drinking. I might have to make up an excuse about why I can't go, (important phone call, last minute deal to iron out before Christmas). Wish me luck...

Agreed! That is what has stopped me as well, not to mention it is HIGHLY competitive for spots here as well. I did take my training to be a Doula, but have not received my DONA certificate yet despite me emailing the course coordinator multiple times... so it would be hard to prove if I decided to take on clients. :blush:

As for your boss, tell him you are on an antibiotic or something so you can't drink! Or maybe tell him you don't like to drink before driving?

I noticed you are in Canada too! :thumbup:

I could definitely not be a midwife, a doula, a doctor or a nurse lol. I am WAYYYY too grossed out by that stuff. I'll stay being a Teacher! Although, kindergarten kids can be pretty gross (haha jk).

My neighbour just brought me over two MASSIVE salads. For some reason I think I'll be able to eat them, maybe because I didn't make them? Fingers crossed I can finish the whole thing!

To you mommies who have toddlers or work with toddlers, I need your advice! I babysit this little boy 4x a week. His mom drives me insane! She barely feeds her son, won't pack food or even a sippy for him, I have to provide everything. He is sooooo tiny for being 2 years old, he is still in 12 month clothing. My mom thinks they starve him bc he always has runny poopy diapers (like baby poop before solids 6x a day!)

And then she has the nerve today to put him down for a 20 min nap before bringing him here bc she needed some alone time before work. Now I can't get him to take a proper nap. Wtf?

My mom thinks I should stop babysitting and call child services. I don't know what to do!

Sorry, not pregnancy related.

I would love to be a doula :) I wouldn't want to be a midwife here because of how heavily restricted they are and there are so many uncertainties around whether Midwives will even legally be able to practice outside of hospitals (and in my state private Midwives can't currently practice in hospitals either so what's left???) and that would be my whole reason for wanting to be a birth worker - to offer individualized, women centered support rather than policy driven. Ah well its a pipe dream anyway since I won't be done with babies for a long time and I plan on homeschooling too. 40+ seems a bit old to be embarking on a new career as i can't see it happening earlier than 10 years from now lol.

Also, I don't restrict my weight gain at all. In fact I almost force myself to eat what I consider to be enough (on the Dr Brewer pregnancy diet for me that means about 3000 calories and at least 120g of protein. A normal person on the diet should be eating 2600 calories at least 80g of protein but because of breastfeeding and low weight gain in previous pregnancies I need to eat more). It's a lot of food but more doable than I would have thought. The premise behind it is really interesting if anyone wants to read up on it.
I do continue to eat a healthy, mostly whole foods diet though and I try to satisfy my cravings (which luckily I don't really seem to get) in the healthiest way possible.

Greats that is a tough one. I'm not sure what to say or suggest. Yiu have to use your gut I guess. Calling child services is a huge huge deal and will affect their lives, so if it were me I'd want to be 200% sure about what I felt. Plus, she may also out together that it's you and that may have a consequence. Ultimately you need to look out for the little boy, but just be absolutely sure. If she's being irresponsible by not packing him food etc, maybe mention it to her? Ask her to send him stuff, then tell her exactly what you want. Maybe she's just clueless and needs a reminder.

Greats that is a tough one. I'm not sure what to say or suggest. Yiu have to use your gut I guess. Calling child services is a huge huge deal and will affect their lives, so if it were me I'd want to be 200% sure about what I felt. Plus, she may also out together that it's you and that may have a consequence. Ultimately you need to look out for the little boy, but just be absolutely sure. If she's being irresponsible by not packing him food etc, maybe mention it to her? Ask her to send him stuff, then tell her exactly what you want. Maybe she's just clueless and needs a reminder.

Yeah I told my mom I'd rather not call child services bc my niece and nephew went through that when they were little and it messed them up. I forgot to mention she refuses to put a winter coat on him. He comes here in a thin hoodie. Some times no hat, either. I bought him a winter coat, hat and gloves and she won't put them on him. I don't understand? It's freezing outside! What if her car broke down? She's a bit weird, too. I watch this other little girl and his mom demanded to know if she was vaccinated. Like wth? You're worried about if my daughter and the girl I watch are vaccinated yet you don't feed or properly clothe your child?

Hmmm, she may be having issues with accepting help. If she doesn't put on the stuff you bought for him she probably takes offence to it. Not that she should, her child is most important :S. Does he have any siblings? Just live with his mom? That's so sad :(

I would definitely speak to the mom first. Is she aware that you expect her to provide everything as you're not an all inclusive daycare. Also I would ask her if he has been to a Dr about his low weight and runny poopy, possibly he has allergies or some medical condition? If she five you off or you get a bad vibe from her responses then I would probably make a call. But in the meantime keep a log book of anything suspicious you observe.
As a parent I would be appreciative of someone looking out for the welfare of my child but would also want to be given the benefit of doubt.

I would definitely speak to the mom first. Is she aware that you expect her to provide everything as you're not an all inclusive daycare. Also I would ask her if he has been to a Dr about his low weight and runny poopy, possibly he has allergies or some medical condition? If she five you off or you get a bad vibe from her responses then I would probably make a call. But in the meantime keep a log book of anything suspicious you observe.
As a parent I would be appreciative of someone looking out for the welfare of my child but would also want to be given the benefit of doubt.

Yeah before she hired me I told her she is to provide lunch, snacks, and a sippy for me to fill. I didn't think about allergies, it's definitely possible. I asked if he ate lunch today and she paused and said well he only ate crackers this morning. Maybe she can't afford food? If that's the case she can apply for food stamps like my SIL is currently on. I dunno, I just get a bad vibe from her. My husband said the same thing last night.

Hmmm, she may be having issues with accepting help. If she doesn't put on the stuff you bought for him she probably takes offence to it. Not that she should, her child is most important :S. Does he have any siblings? Just live with his mom? That's so sad :(

He's an only child and lives with his mom, dad, and aunt.

Hmmm crackers is def not enough. But I never thought to do the log thing. Definitely start that. That way you have solid examples if you need to go further. I also would talk to her first. You never know what's going on at home, and it's always better to approach gently first. As awkward as it may be. Worst that could happen is she stops letting you watch her son. It's stressful though :(

At least you're not super sick like the other day!!!! :)

So I think at the moment my lines are fine. I was worried this morning that todays test was lighter than yesterday but I think yesterdays darkened as it dried because todays test (now dry) is a smidgen darker than yesterdays test. Still nervous though, I feel horrible saying this but it doesn't feel like this baby is for keeps. Probably because I have wanted it for so long and because it happened so soon after starting ttc I am in disbelief it will work out. Does that make sense?

hey ladies, flying visit to say hi, I am so tired I could sleep standing up :wacko:

hope everyone is doing ok and I will catch up tomorrow

Oh wow so much to catch up on!

Hugs, princess! I really hope this little bean is a sticky one. I can understand the shock and disbelief though. I'm still stunned it happened this fast for us. I thought with my issues it'd take me a really, really long time for a BFP.

I'm in a similar boat with searching for a midwife in Canada. I'm on the wait list for one, another one was just barely out of range for me with distance, and I'm waiting for a third to call me back. I wonder how long I can wait before I'm forced to go to an OB for care? I know I've got time, but I'm still curious.

KylasBaby I think that I'm going to stay team yellow until we find out from an ultrasound. I got girl from one Chinese gender predictor, but boy from the alternate chart. Then I keep thinking of having a girl, but DH and I are so settled in a boy name so I wonder if that's a sign? :rofl:

Wow you're in a tough spot greats. It does sound like you have lots of good suggestions and resources to point her towards. GL treading lightly. Not one of my strong suits. Out of curiosity, does the little guy pig out when you offer him food? Sounds like such a crummy situation.
I hear you princess. I feel the same. Stinks.
Lavender- I'd say you need to get in with somebody by 8/10 weeks if you're feeling stable. Not sure what issues you have, but if something feels goofey I'd want to get in ASAP. My doc wants to see everyone at 6 weeks now. Used to be 10 though. Not sure why, but I can let you know Tuesday if you're interested.

Sass! My health has been good recently - I didn't expect to get pg this quickly, but I'm happy I did. Jackson is a crazy little maniac. I can't believe our babies are going to be big brothers/sisters. Seems like yesterday.

How are you and Dylan?

Wow you're in a tough spot greats. It does sound like you have lots of good suggestions and resources to point her towards. GL treading lightly. Not one of my strong suits. Out of curiosity, does the little guy pig out when you offer him food? Sounds like such a crummy situation.
I hear you princess. I feel the same. Stinks.
Lavender- I'd say you need to get in with somebody by 8/10 weeks if you're feeling stable. Not sure what issues you have, but if something feels goofey I'd want to get in ASAP. My doc wants to see everyone at 6 weeks now. Used to be 10 though. Not sure why, but I can let you know Tuesday if you're interested.

He ate a lot today, like I don't know where he put in. And then took a hour nap followed by another 1.5 next to me on the couch. I gave him another set of my daughter's mittens and put 2 hats on him bc it's 22*F right now. My husband basically suggested what you ladies did, just keep a log, etc.

Hi everyone, I've missed loads its been so busy here. I thought I was going to avoid morning sickness this time but unfortunately not. Kicked in properly yesterday. I'd be feeling fine standing at work talking to someone and all of a sudden waves nausea and light headed. Not vomiting yet thankfully. Oh well at least I feel pregnant.

Greats- does the boy have asthma? does she still give him formula?
if yes to the asthma children with asthma tend to be smaller. If yes to the formula maybe she is giving him more of that and less of solid food and that is why his poop is runnier. But all in all he is a growing boy and like all growing boys they tend to eat frequently, so it seems like they are eating all the time but when they eat sometimes the eat smaller portions throughout the day. I know with my son he does have asthma and he is on the skinnier side but he eats constantly throughout the day.

Hope everyones had a good day

DSemcho wonderful ultrasound pic...Mr.Peanut is looking great :)

Sorry I haven't been able to keep up with everything in here. So busy this time of year and I am just so exhausted at the end of the day, I've been crashing out in bed early. I've had this cold that I think the nasal congestion has been made worse by pregnancy so that has not been fun, and I've had a bit of dizziness and nausea too, luckily no voms.

Counting down the days til I see my Obs, can't wait to see bubs and the little heart flicker. Feels like forever away though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->