Adoption question

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Club' started by PixieKitty, Oct 5, 2008.

1. PixieKitty

PixieKitty Guest

Hey ladies, need some info on adoption. My partner isn't the bio-dad but we'd love for him to be the official daddy, on paper. How would he go about officially adopting the little one? Bio-dad is not in the picture, nor will he ever be. Thanks in advance :)

2. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Mother of 4

Oh I cant help here as I havnt been in the situation but I think its great your partner wants to adopt the child as his own legally. I am sure you should not have a problem with it though. Is it not as easy as putting his name on the birth certificut? sorry for ignorance.

3. PixieKitty

PixieKitty Guest

Haha I thought as much but turns out it's illegal :p

4. Aidan's Mummy

Aidan's Mummy Mummy to Aidan and Oliver

My brother wants to adopt his gf's son. What you have to do is get the father to sign over all his parental rights and then the adoption to go ahead. I think this is right. My dad wanted to adopt my half brother and sister but their real dad wouldnt sign over his rights.
    xx

5. babezone

babezone Well-Known Member

think it depends on if the fathers nameb is on birth certificate as 16momtobe sed cus then u will need hes permission a such....if hes not then it is pretty straight forward xx

6. nikky0907

nikky0907 Well-Known Member

But does the babys father have parental rights? He does not if he isn't on the birth certificate...:shrug:
    I have no idea hun,sorry.

Maybe you just need a consent form from your ex that he won't seek parental rights?

7. PixieKitty

PixieKitty Guest

Thanks ladies, wont be putting bio-dad on the birth certificate :) shall ask midwife as am sure she'll have had a case like this before.

8. honey08

honey08 mum2two boys/2mc

i think that bio dad wud after sign over parental rights 4this 2happen hun, but yeh sure midwife will know how it works, hope u get the reaults u want x x x

9. brownhairedmom

brownhairedmom Well-Known Member

He only has to sign over rights if he's on the birth certificate, I think.

10. Aidan's Mummy

Aidan's Mummy Mummy to Aidan and Oliver

yeah because if he isnt on the birth cetificate i dont think he has any rights. i think thats right. Am i on the right lines hun??
    xx

11. PixieKitty

PixieKitty Guest

Aye, I asked my mum if that were true and she says yes :) have told her eventually that Danny wanted to adopt little one, and she seems happy enough :)