Am i the only one who thinks this is wrong?

My husban and i work normaly 8-5 jobs, but we also are on call A LOT, (one of the reason why I may not be going back to work), but if we had to, we would need a day care like this. Because its quite possible for our duaghter to spend more time at a daycare.

Can i just point out the nursery workers also agreed that it was too long to leave a LO and that they disgareed?

LOL. They don't disagree with it so much that they're not prepared to make money off parents who do it, I note.

There are a thousand reasons why someone might choose or need to leave their children at daycare for that long, some of them excellent, some of them fair and a few of them poor. Not being able to think of a single one shows rather a dearth of imagination, I think.

My sister just confirmed that it is only ten hours per day maximum for a child to be in nursery in the UK. So not only is the nursery nurse gossiping about other parents but either a) its a lie or b) they are breaking the rules on time regulations. :nope:

I work in a nursery but we only open 8-6. I'm pretty sure they can open longer tho. There are plenty of nurseries in my area open earlier, including the sister nursery to the one I work in, which opens 730-6. It's ofsted and early years registered to open those hours, it's advertised as those hours etc, there not breaking any rules, everyone who needs to, know there opening hours. Maybe it varies by area.

OP- this is such a judgmental thread, even though you claim it isn't. Do you really think any parent would choose to send their child to nursery 60 hours a week if they had a choice? Parents will all have different reasons for why they work, but there all valid reasons. Also children never get more attached to us no matter how many hours they do and we would never assume to know a child better than a parent.

My DH works in London which an over an hour commute from where we live in Kent. We neither want to nor can't afford to live in London so the commute is the only option. My husband's line of work means he has to work in a big city, so it's either London or relocate. He leaves the house at 6.30am and gets home at 6.30pm if he's done well. Now I personally wouldn't put my child in nursery that long no, but we're fortunate that my job is different to his. Other people may not be so lucky in their circumstances and have no other option.

Im a sahm,im so lucky and i know how easy our circumstances could change so i try to enjoy every min

It must be awful to have to leave your babies in a nursery and be away from them so long :(

Im sure there must be some people who maybe dont give it second thought and money is a lot on their agenda,maybe even thinking its even good for their little ones but im sure the majority have to do what they have to,to get by and hate it :nope:

Just thank your lucky stars your not in that position,i know i do...

Walk the walk...

7-7 mon to fri is a long time but to sone it's a necessity. It will always get people's backs up to ask " why do these people have children". It's personal choice and one I'm sure the parents came to after a lot of thought

the US is much different in the sense that we basically get NO maternity leave (ok like 5 UNPAID weeks!). most families here have to have both parents working full time to make ends meet- so I do understand why some people have to use daycare so much.

The truly ridiculous thing is that a significant portion if not all of the working moms paycheck goes to childcare- it is so bloody expensive!

I have nothing but mad respect for the working mom!

I would hate to have to leave my child for that long but luckily I am in a position where I don't have to. Others aren't so lucky. I don't think it's 'wrong', people's circumstances dictate the need for this

Well this thread has made me feel even more guilty about leaving my little one in a couple of months :-(

He will be in nursery from 7.45am to 5.00pm. I work 8.30-4.30 - I tried to get flexible working for 4 days a week but my employer said no so I am going back full time. I can't afford not to.

I envy those who can work part time and stay at home with their children. I don't think people should be told they shouldn't have children just because they choose to work too. I'm a bit late on this thread though so probably repeated what others have said.

Me and my oh would love to be home with our son all day but life just isn't like that for everyone.

OP, you should be kissing your dad's a$$ for working so much to provide for you.

Well this thread has made me feel even more guilty about leaving my little one in a couple of months :-(

He will be in nursery from 7.45am to 5.00pm. I work 8.30-4.30 - I tried to get flexible working for 4 days a week but my employer said no so I am going back full time. I can't afford not to.

I envy those who can work part time and stay at home with their children. I don't think people should be told they shouldn't have children just because they choose to work too. I'm a bit late on this thread though so probably repeated what others have said.

Me and my oh would love to be home with our son all day but life just isn't like that for everyone.

:hugs: please don't feel guilty. I'm in almost the same position where my employer has turned down my request for part time or reduced hours, I feel awful. But, you are doing it for the right reasons - to give your child a better life. It's terrible that in the current climate, parents can't have more flexibility over their working week, something the OP omits to consider. Don't let an ill thought out thread make you feel guilty. There are loads of us in the same position and we just have to make the best of it until a solution comes up.

being with baby 24/7 doesn't make someone a good mom. And leaving baby at a well researched and professional care facility doesn't make a bad mom.

I agree! As much as I love my son there is no way I can provide him with the development and social skills he will get at nursery not to mention all the fun he will have and friends he will make! I'm actually excited for him to be going, its one of the things making it easier for me to return to work.

We will have an hour in the morning, and two at night and all weekend and that is going to have to be enough for now unfortunately no matter how hard I find it.

Keeping a roof over his head and clothing and feeding him is my priority

Im a sahm,im so lucky and i know how easy our circumstances could change so i try to enjoy every min

It must be awful to have to leave your babies in a nursery and be away from them so long :(

Im sure there must be some people who maybe dont give it second thought and money is a lot on their agenda,maybe even thinking its even good for their little ones but im sure the majority have to do what they have to,to get by and hate it :nope:

Just thank your lucky stars your not in that position,i know i do...

Walk the walk...

So you don't think it is good for a child to go to nursery? At all?

I think nobody likes to leave their children for that long but a lot of people dont have a choice. In particular single parents. I dont think anyone gives their child away 12 hours each day just for the sake of it.

I will be completely honest and I have wondered who would leave their kids at nursery 6am-6pm 5 days a week before and felt a bit sad seeing 6 week olds being dropped off.

Just a question for the OP:

When we conceived LO I was active duty Navy. Given the nature of my job, we knew that the possibility existed that I would eventually go back on deployment. Given this information, do you think we should have TTC?

You fully admit that you have no personal experience regarding the demands of a career vs. time with your child. Instead of "agreeing to disagree", might I suggest to open your eyes to the reality of the situation and learn from those who DO have experience? The desire to gain knowledge is the difference between blissful naivety and painful ignorance.

wow, as if mothers don't have enough guilt to contend with, people start threads like this as well. I was with a minder as a child as both my parents had demanding jobs in emergency services. I'm immensely proud of them and know that personally I adored my time in childcare. Kids to play with, toys, days out. My parents certainly weren't off working so we could have luxuries. They worked their butts off to keep the family afloat because they had to.
You could say I shouldn't have had my son. I was in university when I got pregnant, I'm yet to decide if I will return to my degree and fully understand that if I don't I might not be able to get as good a job as I could have done to support my son. Should I feel guilty about that? Or do I pass the parenting test?
Honestly threads like this are obviously going to cause offense. Ultimately as parents we do our best for our kids. Just because someone doesn't do it that way YOU do, it doesn't make it wrong. I would suggest you concentrate on your own life. Babies in nursery is not wrong. Judging other people's situations is.

I will be completely honest and I have wondered who would leave their kids at nursery 6am-6pm 5 days a week before and felt a bit sad seeing 6 week olds being dropped off.

People who have to work and have no other option?

Sorry, I think I better leave this thread as I'm taking it all a bit too personally. :-(

Rest assured, your sadness probably paled in comparison to the sadness felt by the parent having to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->