Any other hg sufferers?

I don’t either. I didn’t even know there were flavours until you mentioned it. I made the mistake of buying prenatal gummies thinking they would be easier to take and was I ever so wrong. I had to switch back to capsules.

How is every one? I had a bad day yesterday hoping today will be better

Egh. I felt really bad all weekend, but for some strange reason I got an appetite for a ginger tofu dish from a nearby Thai restaurant last night. I had my husband go pick it up (so I wouldn't have to see or smell any other food), and managed to eat a reasonable amount with some rice. I'm still feeling pretty sick today, but my body feels better overall from getting some nutrition.

Has anyone been to see their doctor yet this pregnancy? I was not initially scheduled until later this month (around 8 weeks), but they want me to come in for a viability scan on Thursday since I'm "old" and have had losses. I've had to switch to a different practice than w my first two babies, and am trying to decide if I even want to mention the sickness to them.

That's great you managed to eat something. Even if you can't bear the sight of that dish ever again in your life it was worth it, lol.

I am doing all my care with a MW this pregnancy. I plan on a home birth and she was at the birth of my other 3. The first two I carried on seeing a doctor (which is provided by the state here) too but wasn't impressed with their care. Appointments were always running very late. They were always rushed and never seemed to remember anything about us. The doctors didn't seem to have much experience and kept changing. The MW on the other hand is super attentive and very experienced.

OH called a doctor yesterday on the phone to do a house call to prescribe medication but he ended up sending us the prescription electronically so he didn't have to come in person.

Do you mind me asking how old you are? I will be 39 when this baby comes. Which I guess makes me old too, lol.

I’ve been feeling pretty good. I even managed a larger meal last night with little to no nausea.

Rhiannon, I’ve been seen since week 6 for a viability scan because I’ve had two consecutive losses. Then I had another scan at 8 weeks and then a regular appointment at 12 weeks where a doppler was used to confirm the heartbeat. My last pregnancy pregnancies I was seen by midwives, but this time I have an obgyn but want to switch soon.

Bunny. Will this be your first home birth? I’m considering one this time and would love some insight. My first pregnancy I gave birth at a birthing center and enjoyed it so I can’t imagine giving birth in a hospital and the birthing center is too far away now for me to be seen there.

My other two were home births too, so all being well this will be my 4th. They were wonderful experiences. Feel free to ask questions.

That’s amazing! I love the idea of being home, it feels very natural to me. I do have a question, something I’ve always wondered. When my water broke it was a lot, I had extra amniotic fluid throughout my pregnancy and it was almost like a flood. I worry about that mess in my home haha. How was that handled? Were any of them water births?

I am 39, and will be 40 when the baby is born. I'm in the US where the trend is to over-medicalize everything! I would have had the option to do midwife care with my first (since I was not yet officially old), but delivery would have been in the hospital anyway and I liked my ObGyn. There are options to do a birthing center near me, but none were as close as the hospital about a half mile away and I wanted to be able to walk. My delivery of my son went very smoothly with minimal monitoring and no medical interventions. My daughter was breech (and a month early, and her cord prolapsed...) so that was a c section with all sorts of interventions. I am strongly hoping to VBAC this baby.

With my first, an overzealous nurse had me coming in to get weighed EVERY WEEK when I was honest about how often I was being sick. It was so pointless. Now that I've switched doctors, I'm hesitant to mention it at all because I don't want it to turn into some kind of risk factor. I know how to identify when I'm getting dehydrated, and know to go to the hospital if that happens. Medications have not been great for me in the past, so I'm inclined to try and just manage it on my own.

I can understand how it makes sense to manage it yourself if the doctor can't really offer you much anyway.

I tried two medications last time with limited results. I have decided I would like to try Zofran this time but the doctor won't prescribe it without trying the other two again. So I am doing that at the moment. I am some one who hates taking medication, especially when pregnant but it's getting bad enough I decided I should at least give it a go. With my first I managed it myself without any medication but it lasted a much shorter time. This time it started bad at 5 weeks and is still getting worse. I have already lost 20lbs and don't expect to be better before 13 weeks. Thankfully in the past I have not been one of the unlucky women who gets it all the was through.

That’s amazing! I love the idea of being home, it feels very natural to me. I do have a question, something I’ve always wondered. When my water broke it was a lot, I had extra amniotic fluid throughout my pregnancy and it was almost like a flood. I worry about that mess in my home haha. How was that handled? Were any of them water births?

My waters only went in advanced labour and were mostly stuck behind baby so the majority only came out during the actual birth. The MW told me to put a waterproof mattress cover on the bed and buy a pack of disposable bed protector pads. She used the pads to catch most of the mess. The sheets and a couple of towels needed washing and there was a bag of rubbish to throw away. The MW tidied up the rest before she left. Of course if your waters went suddenly it could make a mess, but then I suppose that can happen at home even when you plan a hospital birth. I guess you would just have to deal with it with towels, disposable pads etc. I know some ladies like to have a couple of cheap shower curtains on hand for protecting things. If you have white carpet in your house or something that could be awkward otherwise it's not too hard to protect things like the mattress and sofa. Honestly my experience is that toddlers are way messier than home births, lol.

I didn't have a water birth, I didn't quite fancy the idea, but I know loads of ladies love them.

I too hate taking any kind of medication but I was traveling a lot and unable to function without anything. Hopefully you can have the medication on hand just in case but manage without it.

Bunny, I lost about 10-12 pounds and I thought that was bad, I couldn’t imagine losing 20. Thanks for answering the home birth questions, you were very helpful. I think I’m going to start reaching out to midwives for consultations. Lol toddlers are so messy! How something so small can make such a mess I’ll never know.

I’m feeling quite nauseous today. I haven’t felt this bad in a few days but it’s nothing compared to last week. I’m almost 14 weeks so I’m hoping to say goodbye to hg really soon

Feel free to ask questions about hb any time. It's a subject I don't mind going on about but don't want to impose on others. The one good thing about HG is that if you can survive it then labour is easy, lol.

OH phoned the doctor again and said I wasn't getting better on the medication he wanted me to try first (I could have told him that as I tried it last pregnancy). So he has prescribed me zofran (ondansetron) which I haven't had before. I am not thrilled about taking it but I have to do something as basically not eating now. I put all my energy into drinking (and keeping down) enough water to stay out of hospital. It would be one thing for another week or two but I don't predict being better for 6 or 7 weeks yet. I am tall and overweight so I'm fine with loosing 20lbs, in fact would be more than happy to loose another 20 but this really isn't the best way of doing it, lol. I don't imagine it's the best thing for the baby. So just praying the zofran works.

Sorry you had a worse day. It sounds like you are almost there. I must tell OH to remind me once this baby is here I never, ever, ever want to be pregnant again, lol.

Lol. Very true about hg and labor. I struggle with the idea of more children. This is my 4th pregnancy but God-willing second child and I’ve always wanted a big family but suffering with hg for 9-10 weeks straight isn’t ideal. I love talking about birth, so please don’t hesitate to share. I dont believe in oversharing. I hope the zofran works for you. Good for you for being able to stay hydrated. I struggled and continue to struggle some days with that.

I think I quite startled the MW during my 1st labour. She asked me very sympathetically how I was doing and I said at least it wasn't as bad as MS!

So true though. For me there is nothing like the relief I feel after giving birth. During my first pregnancy I had terrible acid reflux and couldn’t enjoy any of my usual favorite foods. After giving birth the first meal I ate was a whole pizza pie and it was pure joy because I didn’t suffer from any sickness or heartburn. Probably not the best “first meal” but it was delicious

I also was amazed at how much better I felt right away after the babies were out! Both times I had my husband bring me a cheeseburger, fries and a beer to the hospital.

BunnyN, I wouldn't worry too much about taking medication while pregnant if it helps you. I remember voicing concerns to my doctor about my allergy and asthma medications when pregnant with my first. He spoke very strongly that any risk from the medications was minimal compared to the benefits for the baby of growing inside a mother able to sleep and breath properly. I'm sure the same applies to being able to stay hydrated nourished. I would absolutely take them if I got meaningful benefit and did not have unpleasant side effects.

I'm a little worried that I'm down about 12 pounds at only 6 weeks in since I was already on the skinny side of a "healthy" weight range. However, I've been managing to stay hydrated and the weight loss has leveled off for now. Being on the liquid diet at the very beginning made everything so much worse.

Lol Rhiannon I love that you requested that specific meal after birth. I don’t know how you survived on a liquid diet, you’re amazing.

I’m suddenly starving today. I have a bit of nausea here and there but nothing unmanageable. I’m also feeling tired mid day this week. I spent all my days during first trimester so sick I guess I never had time for the fatigue so maybe it’s catching up with me.

During my second labour things were going slow and it was getting late so OH ordered pizza for him and the MWs. In the mean time things sped up and the delivery man came when baby was getting really close. The student MW was sent to the door. She was super excited because it was the first birth she had been at and didn't want to miss it. She said to the delivery man something like "quick, we are having a baby!". Not sure what he thought, lol.

Lol Bunny. I love hearing labor and birth stories. I was always told labor and giving birth were the worst but I disagree, and I struggled with transition. However, the entire experience makes me so happy. I know what my body’s capable of and it’s pretty darn remarkable. I remember asking one of the mw’s for Tylenol when I was 9cm lol. I hate taking medicine and they didn’t offer any at the birthing center but I asked anyway. When she said no, I just said okay and then got up to squat and 20 minutes later there was a baby.

I am similar. I actually enjoyed labour and birth. Okay, not so much the pain but there is so much more going on with adrenaline and endorphins pumping around your body. Nothing like hg, which is just miserable, lol. I did have some moments of panic that I couldn't cope during transition but pushing was great. My first two were long drawn out labours. My 3rd I had mild contractions all day but once it got going it went a bit fast and furious. It was so intense I was finding it hard and I asked the MW to do an internal as she hadn't done one at all. I was kind of hoping for encouragement that I was close. We were all rather disappointed when I was only 5cm and she said something about it being a while yet. With my 1st it took 20+ hrs to go from 5cm to birth. Then next thing I knew I had a pushing sensation and my waters broke and I was pushing for real. I kept asking if it was real, if baby was really about to come! He was born within half an hr of being 5cm!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->