Anyone else learning to drive?

Good luck! Just stay as calm and relaxed as you can (easier said then done I know)

It's meet situations I panic in most :o I've been watching lots of YouTube videos on it, and it seems so simple (I spoke to my mum on the phone earlier and she said.. 'If it's clear, go, if it's not, stop'. Thanks for the pearls of wisom 😂) when I'm watching someone else do it.. Even when I'm a passenger, I think 'oh I'd stop here' etc, but just panic When I'm driving!
Sorry for blathering on but I've not told anybody about my test so it's less pressure and need to vent!

Hiii
I'm learning too! I've had about 20hrs up to now and I feel like I'm still absolutely awful at it haha! I panic at round a bouts and also in meeting situations, no idea why I panic so much! X

It's meet situations I panic in most :o I've been watching lots of YouTube videos on it, and it seems so simple (I spoke to my mum on the phone earlier and she said.. 'If it's clear, go, if it's not, stop'. Thanks for the pearls of wisom 😂) when I'm watching someone else do it.. Even when I'm a passenger, I think 'oh I'd stop here' etc, but just panic When I'm driving!
Sorry for blathering on but I've not told anybody about my test so it's less pressure and need to vent!

Good luck tomorrow! Rescue remedy helps me to calm down. I also panic in meeting situations, only when I'm in the driving seat! X

It's scary isn't it TTCabundle! I know what to do in theory, but there feels like so much to remember, trying to guess what the other car is going to do, looking for somewhere safe to stop to allow the other car to pass... I do think I'm overthinking it, I always do...
I'm going to get my instructor to take me down the road I hate a couple of times today, I feel like I'm still using him as a crutch more than I realise.. We'll see!

Also my instructor said that the examiner I had last time (who was truly terrifying!) is on again today. Funnily enough though, I wasnt too scared on my first test. The examiner was lovely and I had familiar roads. The second test I was in a real state of panic, I thought I was going to cry. He took me down roads id never been down before (windy country roads with several meet situations!) and yet I drove better the second time (in terms of minors/majors)
I've got my rescue remedy ready!

Just keep taking deep breaths and keep telling yourself you can do it. You CAN drive, don't panic if you make mistakes because it doesn't always mean a fail, it's how you deal with the mistakes that can count sometimes. Ignore the examiner and how mean he might seem, he's just a normal man/woman the same as your instructor so pretend it's your instructor or a friend/family member sat by you giving you directions.
Best of luck :hugs:

I missed that you was having another test, Pandacub! I hope it went well :flower: x

Ffs, I went too close to a parked car AGAIN.
Afterwards my instructor said that I seem to develop 'tunnel vision' when I focus on what's up ahead rather than what's around me.. It feels like a subconscious thing though, because I'm 100% not aware that I'm drifting closer to the parked cars until he says something. Though he normally just says 'be aware of those cars' and I'm ok.. I don't know. He said I don't need loads of hours of practice, because my general driving is fine and it will come naturally when I'm driving regularly. Just have to get it together And be more mindful on the test.
Going to go out in rush hour traffic down lots of small roads to Hopefully develop my special awareness!
My brother passed on his fourth test so if I don't pass my next I'll be mocked forever!

Oh no :(! How frustrating for you. Your instructor is right you only need to drive perfectly for 45 minutes. Hopefully some practise will help. Just keep going and don't give up or get disheartened x

:hugs: I can't believe they fail for you that to be honest, should be just a minor! Lots of practice down tight roads will be good. Definitely keep going!

Oh no :(

That's a shame!

It all depends on the examiner sometimes, mine was bit lenient and gave me minors for things that maybe some examiners would have failed me on!

Don't give up though. Keep on trying as I'm sure you will anyways

My spacial awareness is shocking at times. On the test i passed the instructor commented about me being too close to a parked when going down a one way street and then I rolled back slightly. Luckily for me he must have been having a lazy day because he passed me.
Hope u pass next time

Ffs, I went too close to a parked car AGAIN.
Afterwards my instructor said that I seem to develop 'tunnel vision' when I focus on what's up ahead rather than what's around me.. It feels like a subconscious thing though, because I'm 100% not aware that I'm drifting closer to the parked cars until he says something. Though he normally just says 'be aware of those cars' and I'm ok.. I don't know. He said I don't need loads of hours of practice, because my general driving is fine and it will come naturally when I'm driving regularly. Just have to get it together And be more mindful on the test.
Going to go out in rush hour traffic down lots of small roads to Hopefully develop my special awareness!
My brother passed on his fourth test so if I don't pass my next I'll be mocked forever!

I haven't posted here before because I was preparing for my driving test and was too nervous to say something and jinx it, heh. But I can't believe they failed you for that. Maybe if you were constantly unaware of your car's position I could understand it, but for driving too close once or twice? Seems a bit strict.

I was told just before my exam that my examiner only fails people who make a major error. That kind of calmed my nerves, but I don't know, maybe it's not great for him to be filling the roads with drivers who make a ton of moderate errors....

Spatial awareness is a tough one for me too. I constantly feel like I'm going too close to everything. When I did my parallel park, I was just bracing myself for the sound of scraping the car in front of me - which, miraculously, didn't happen.

When I was first starting I drive, I would roll up to open junctions slowly to assess whether it was safe to go, and would always drift to the side (and have mounted the kerb once or twice) so it has been an issue from the start :blush: I haven't done that in a long time though.
When I'm driving down small roads I just always feel like I'm going too close to the cars on the other side of the road.. I swear I think I'm driving a tank or something!

I still check my wing mirrors to make sure I can see the lines in the road because I feel like I'm driving right down the middle of 2 lanes lol

Hi guys, I failed my test a couple months ago, doing 35 in a 30, and went wrong twice in my independent driving. There was a 10'week wait on tests in my area so I have had to wait that long. My test is next week.mi haven't had anymore professional lessons since my test cos I was test ready, and me and instructor didn't feel it was necessary for me to keep having them, as I have my own car. So when I failed my test I forced myself to drive mine, I drive a lot in it, like 4 to 5 hours a week and I love it, enjoy it and the 2 people that come with me say I'm safe and a good driver.

But I got in my instructors car yesterday for the first time in almost 3 months, and I couldn't drive it!!! I mean I drove it, but it felt so odd and I really struggled. My driving was shocking, so bad that he had to use his controls and take the wheel!!! After an hour I did warm to it a bit and managed to drive safely and do all of my manoeuvres well. But I have one more lesson, the day before my test, and was planning on going round in my car several times before then. Obviously this won't work because I'll be back at square one on test day. I know my car so well now that I drive it confidently without problem. My instructor told me taking the test in my own car is an option, and I feel better in that one then maybe that's the way to go...

But he said if I choose to stick with his, that it'd be best if I didn't drive mine till after test now as Prob won't help me! So I either do test in my car, and practice loads before, or don't touch it and just go in instructors ! Don't know what to do, it's worrying me. My instructor said its up to me, and he won't influence my decision, so I have to decide. I feel better in my car, but I never considered even taking the test in it!! Any advice would be apriciated and I'm sorry this was long lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->