April ‘baby’ showers 2020

DH is self employed, luckily he is a gardener who works alone out in a 3 acre space so could potentially work without meeting anyone. He was without work over the winter so we can't really afford for him not to work, but he is yet to hear from the lady whose house he usually works at, who said "end of March, beginning of April" for him to return.
I've not seen anything other than the possibility of self employed people getting help, but we don't get universal credit and I've been told that universal credit is usually bad for the self employed, particularly when you only work a little like he does, so I would like to drag it out as long as possible before switching.

Next door decoded to hose down something in their garden so all the clothes I had hung out there ended up soaked :( I'm just glad it was only water and not something that could have ruined his clothes.
Ds4 seems to be getting worse. I realised today he has had the cold over a week, Thursday and Friday he seemed a bit better but last night and today he's been worse again.

I hope everyone’s ok. I have meant to pop in sooner but I have literally been back and forth to the hospital for a week.
I have another growth scan tomorrow, which wasn’t part of my original plan but the doctor who said pre-eclampsia said she wanted one done. It was meant to be for today but they booked it tomorrow which is really frustrating because I’m trying to avoid going there and also using public transport, for obvious reasons.

Anyway, I think (I hope) they may have jumped the gun with the P word. Last week my BP did increase, yes, as did the protein in my urine. BUT, I was extremely anxious and I tend to not eat or drink when I’m like that, so I was also really dehydrated, which my bloods reflected. Moving on to now, today my BP is mostly within the realms of normal (although I am on meds for that) and my urine has gone from 39 which is high, down to 27 today which is normal. So I asked, could it have been dehydration, and yes it could have been. So I told the doctor I saw today that for as long as the baby and I are ok, and my BP is under control, I want to wait for natural labour and I do not want to be induced. She wasn’t happy. She told me that I wouldn’t go into natural labour and that I needed help by way of induction. She then went on to say that what with the current crisis... and implied I was taking up valuable resources by having to go back and forth for extra check ups. So I asked if it would be easier on them if my midwife did the checks at home instead, she then said it wasn’t a case of that at all, but she certainly made it sound as if it was. I was annoyed at the comment that I would not go into labour on my own.
One of the midwives there said precisely what I was thinking which was that surely if the baby and I aren’t ready, a pessary isn’t going to work. Induction just won’t work, quite possibly, and then where does that leave us? C-section?
Anyway I stood my ground and told her providing things are looking ok, I am going to hold on for as long as is safe for labour to start on its own. She then told me I was making the right decision... confusing or what. Some of the doctors seem to be rather confused.

So after hours I went home. Have to go tomorrow, then Thursday, Sunday (midwife may be able to come to me instead that day), Monday I think... I can’t remember but they wrote it down.
The midwife was sort of able to do a sweep today. Cervix was too posterior or whatever before, but today she could get in there just, and feel the head. Only thing is she was back to back at the time and her head was facing upwards so she isn’t helping to thin things out, more ball bouncing for me then

That all sounds like a lot to take in. I hope that they did jump the gun on Pre-E. I don't see why they would want to induce you if you're both healthy though, that in itself seems like a waste of resources and a bed, when you could go naturally (and how can she say you won't, the baby won't be in there in 6 months, eventually your body would evict her :haha: )
I have my growth scan tomorrow. I'm interested to see what they estimate him as, as I don't feel anywhere near as big as I remember feeling before. Maybe it's just my imagination going over board, but I distinctly remember being like a turtle stuck on it's back and needing help to get up. I remember needing a pillow under my bump and between my knees when sleeping because my hips and back were so bad. I expected it to be worse this time but it just isn't. I feel like I'm about 20 weeks.

Reuben is estimated at 6lb 15! Puts him around the 8.5lb mark for 40 weeks though so roughly around the same as the others. If I go much over he could even take ds1s title as the biggest baby haha

Mother I’m glad your growth scan went well :) how much did your son weigh?

I too had to have another growth scan, yesterday, which showed she’s growing perfectly fine in there. She’s still following the same lines on the chart and is estimated to weigh about 6lb 7oz. So she probably will weigh about the same as Castiel then, I think.

My check up at day unit yesterday after the scan went well, BP is fine as is urine. A day off today! Back tomorrow for the same checks but bloods too.
Bloody taxi driver yesterday, he saw me heading for him and drove off! Had to get another, making me 12 minutes late for my scan appointment and they weren’t sure I would be seen still, so I’m somewhat surprised my BP wasn’t high because I was so cross with the taxi driver.
My feet have gone down a lot, I actually lost more than half a stone in the last week because I had that much water retention. My sleep apnoea has gone too. Since starting the meds for my BP I haven’t felt like my neck is being knelt on, my throat hasn’t felt stuck together or like it’s collapsing and I haven’t woken up gasping for air. I didn’t know until the other day after it dawned on me I have had more sleep at night than I have in ages, that high blood pressure can cause sleep apnoea

Haha funny how you thought it felt a bit smaller but could be your chunky monkey Mother!

Glad you’re feeling better Happy! It’s crazy what high BP can do to your body. I look back at pictures from DD at this time and god I’m SO swollen. I actually lost all the 12kgs I put on with DD within a week of birth and they said it was likely 10kgs of water retention!

All good here. BP still looking good. DD starting to get upset at not seeing friends and family now. But we really don’t want to risk any colds (or corona) as any cold and OH can’t be at delivery. Trying to be inventive with things to do but slowly running out of ideas!

Ds1 was my heaviest at 8lb 15. I hope this one isn't too much heavier as although I was expecting an 8lber the new clothes I bought were up to 9lb and up to 10lb, so I want them to fit him :haha:
Happy I am glad you are feeling better, hopefully things will stay settled now and you can enjoy the end of your pregnancy.
Sweden, it's just typical really isn't it? Kids love to do the opposite of what you expect. Still he is head down which is good, I don't think he's engaged but I'm sure I was told that once you've had a couple they can pop in and out of engagement anyway.
I feel like it's still going to be a while yet until he's here, I don't think we'll see him before his due date. He'll probably come on the 20th because that's the one day I don't want him to :haha:
Its hard to explain to little ones why they have to stay home, but this is for the best in the long run.

I put the last of the baby clothes in the draws after washing and I think I have too many 0-3 months sleep suits :haha: there are dozens! I didn't realise until I organised them by drawer and had enough for 2 drawers.
Due to the new restrictions my friend can't now send me her cloth nappy stash, but I have managed to find some decently priced new born ones that will still deliver. I did consider just using disposables until she could get to them, but couldn't find any size ones in stock anywhere so gave up and just paid out for them.

Yes my midwife said babies after the first can change between being engaged and not. The little one is head down but not engaged- which I guessed as I’ve had less lightening crotch. My midwife said often after the first the contractions actually make them engage.

Glad everyone is well and the growth scans went well ladies

All good here still, I’m a bit worried about my sister having the other 2 when I go into labour as she works in care but there’s no other choice apart from doing it alone.
Obviously I don’t want to or don’t want dh to miss the birth but I’m so scared of the other 2 getting ill
We’ve been isolating for 10 days now and dh for 6 so I’m feeling safe, dh hasn’t even gone out for shopping in that time as I booked a delivery slot ages ago and got one for 6th April so hopefully be stocked up for when baby arrives.
I also add family shopping to my slot and they pick it up from my porch

Midwife Monday, no one else allowed at any appointments or scans but I generally go on muni own anyway, dh going to drive me and sit in the car with the kids

Fingers crossed life will be back to normal soon , I just want her Here before things get worse, our hospital was one of 4 or 5 in the country that basically wouldn’t cope on the bbc news a couple days ago and that’s a scary thought, we rely on ferries and the air ambulance to get to the bigger hospitals but obviously unlikely to be needed, just a scary time

We are in such uncertain times. My niece mentioned it and said she was still available, then said as long as her son isn't sleeping. Surely if he's sleeping that means it's night time and his dad will be there anyway. But I've basically crossed her off my list. BIL said he's still fine to do it, as long as he doesn't have to go in to isolation himself, but he's not taking the whole thing very seriously. He has the option to work from home but still goes to work, and he took MIL who is 80 to the shops last week. He'd been to the supermarket and got her shopping, but decided that she needed a trip out into town to wander round anyway. But, like you say I don't want DH to miss anything so I'll have to suck it up and trust that he'll be germ free. And if he does go in to isolation then I'll just have to get over it and do it alone. DH missed ds2 anyway so I know I can do it alone. It's just not fair to him.
Ds1 has a cough and nothing else now, so I'm panicking that even though I fully expect to go over due, what will happen if I go in to labour while someone in the house is ill?

I hope ds is better soon mother
I just want all our babies here safe now and in a few months time things to be better, so we can at least leave our house or have visits from family

I was so looking forward to showing off my bump in the nice spring weather after hiding under DH coat all winter, and then showing off my brand new baby.
I know this way is best, but it's still sad.

My hospital have changed their advise now so now home births and ambulance can't guarantee a timely response, I'm back to thinking induction might be best so I don't give birth on the road!

Right, it's ok, I've calmed down and changed my mind again. I'll just have to ask her for a new back up plan seeing as my last one now isn't available

Hope DS is feeling a bit better Mother and hope you sort the childcare situation. We are also stressing a bit about it as MIL isn’t fully socially isolated- as FIL still going to office to work but oh well it’s the best we can do.

So I’m 37 weeks tomorrow and had DD at 37 and just started getting period pain type aches. This is how it started with DD so I’m wondering.... I spent the majority of my labour with DD wondering if this was really it though! Haha

I usually wait until there's really no question that it's labour, I can see me being up and down the hospital with false starts this time because I'll be paranoid about getting there. I'm feeling a bit periody, but none of mine have come much before 40 weeks (Ds2 was 39+6) so I don't think it's anything.
We've had a slight improvement on the health front, so that's good. Hopefully that'll continue.
I'm kind of getting nervous now that I know labour is just a few short weeks away. The days are flying past and I remember being in labour with ds4 and being like "whose idea was it to do this again?!" :haha:
I've told DH if it comes to it then he'll just have to drop me at the hospital and then come home again, obviously we don't want that, but who knows how long before they change the rules to no birth partner anyway, so might as well be prepared. Ive said I'll stick some old towels and bin liners in the car just in case. I'm thinking about installing the car seat soon too.

Sounds like might be something starting for sweden, hope you’re well

I’ve decided I’m doing it alone, obviously don’t want to but the thought of the other 2 catching anything scares me
More. This way we reduce that risk by dh not coming to the hospital and maybe sister who works in care not coming to our house. I’ve been isolating for 11 days now with only going for one walk and dh for almost a week so I feel safer not involving anyone else.
The plan is he will Put Kids in the car and drop me right at maternity doors.
I just hope it’s not when they’re asleep!
It’s the safest way I can see and like I said to dh, either way I’ve got to give birth so the only difference is he won’t witness it but would have been sent home straight after anyway, I’ll then just get him to pick us up ASAP after!

I have pretty much come to the same "well he's going to come out somehow anyway" conclusion.
Hospital have now decided that all doors are to be locked apart from the main entrance which is completely the opposite end of the maternity unit so I'll get a nice long walk as well. I was nervous enough about finding it after 14 years as it was. I might walk in the doors shouting and they'll have to stick me in a wheel chair and rush me down haha at least the staff will know where they are going.

I’m trying to prepare myself for a situation where OH can’t come in case they change the rules but I really don’t know how I’d cope. Although I’ve fully integrated here and now the language pretty well- it’s different in a moment in stress. So I really really hope it doesn’t come to that! But Star it sounds like the right decision for you.

After being woken to some contractions on Friday night/Saturday morning I’m still here pregnant! They fizzled into nothing and other than the occasional one I’ve stopped having them. So the wait continues! I’m so ready for her now though. Got all the final bits sorted yesterday and now just want to meet her and have a snuggle!

Birth is unpredictable enough without them keep changing the rules, though I do understand why.
I feel so torn about whether I want him to hurry up or not haha pretty much everyone has some form of symptom now. Be it just a blocked nose, all the way to a full blown cold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"