BLW recipes and family meals -- please post yours!

Sorry TL, you might end up missing out on the Marmite thing - don't worry though it's nasty!! They advertise it as love it or hate it here :haha: My dad lives in Texas and he wants me to send Marmite for his birthday so I think he's probably done a decent search in the US for it, he also used to live in LA and couldn't find it there either :shrug:

Another variation on Pitta Pizzas:

Spread tomato puree on a pitta bread, sprinkle with cheese, then a bit of oregano on top. Put in oven for about 10 mins.

We actually used to have these as part of school dinners, lol, and since I remembered I've been making them loads!

We tend to just have roast vegetables a lot for dinner, Freya will eat anything that way.

Thanks for the idea, I done this for lunch today with a side salad! Went down a treat, Violet really likes pitta bread but I'd been stuck with ideas on what to do with it lol

Baked Apples and Pears

Core and slice apples and/or pears (You can slice into finger shapes, chunks, or rings)
Melt butter (amount to taste)
Mix in brown sugar (amount to taste)
Coat apple and pear slices with butter/brown sugar mix
Sprinkle with cinnamon or nutmeg
Bake at 325 F for 30-40 minutes or until tender.

Go light on the butter and brown sugar to make it BLW friendly.

Add cream topping and turn into a dessert.
Serve as is and makes a great side dish for Pork main dishes.
Serve warm to adults and older babies... cool off for youngsters.

I made it tonight for Otter to try apples/pears for the first time but he fell asleep before dinner! :haha: Oh, well he can try the left overs tomorrow. :mrgreen:

Hi everyone

Brilliant thread, have noted all of these down in my little handy book!

By the way, Vegemite is Australian I believe but both Vegemite and Marmite are yeast extract and Bovril is beef extract [bleuch!]. Vegemite is a bit like a "watered down" version of Marmite.

Mini

Roasted Root Veggies

This can be done with any root veggie (potato, sweet potato, beet (aka beetroot), parsnip, carrot, squash, turnip, etc) I used sweet potato and beet tonight. :mrgreen:

Peel and cut veggies into pieces (make bigger pieces than you think you want as they will shrink when baked)
Place in baking pan, one layer thick
drizzle with olive oil (lightly)
Fresh ground salt and pepper to taste
Basil to taste (dried or fresh)
Oregano to taste (dried or fresh)
Parsley flakes to taste
Sprinkle spices onto veggies, toss to mix well.
Bake at 325 F until desired tenderness (usually 30-60 minutes depending on piece size)

If LO is ready for it, baking them with a chopped red onion and a few cloves of crushed garlic makes them extra yummy.

Meatball sandwiches
Ground Beef (aka mince)
worschester sauce (to taste)
soy sauce (go light on it as it is salty)
bread crumbs
italian seasonings (basil, oregano)
sage
parsley flakes
tomato paste
mozzarella cheese

Mix all together (I do all the spices and sauces to taste, so don't have amounts :rofl: )
Form into meatballs -- size appropriate for LO -- start bigger
Fry meatballs in skillet on med-high heat until done
Place sub sandwhich rolls into baking dish
Slather sub with favorite marinara sauce
Place meatballs on sub sandwich
Cover in mozzarella cheese
Bake at 325 F until cheese is melted

If LO is too small for bread, serve meatballs separately. You can have marinara sauce for dipping and/or melt cheese on the meatballs.

Yummy! I ordered my BLW book but it is backordered at the moment.

Just thought I'd share how I do mince & pasta.. It isn't very exciting but always goes down a treat with Violet lol and as it isn't runny, she has no problems picking up the pasta.

Chop and cook onion
Add required amount of beef mince to pan and let cook
Add one tsp of garlic
Add a dash of mixed herbs
Season with pepper (no salt!!)
Add Mexican Spice tomato puree (I also have to use normal to make it a little more mild as OH doesn't do spices lol)
Mix all together and leave on a low heat.

Add cooked twirly pasta to the mince
Sprinkle grated cheese over the top and mix until melted

Serve with iceburg lettuce, cucumber, tomato and spring onions. (Me and V have the salad, OH thinks we're mad and disgusting for having it :lol:)
Like I said, not very exciting but it has no salt at all and goes down a treat with LO :thumbup:

I'm not looking for exciting! Just for things that are BLW friendly. Things that LOs tend to eat and can manage easily. I'm going to try that pasta, Thanks! :hugs:

this is in the recipe thread up top but I think it'd be good for BLW and all the adults I know who have tried it love it :lol: (and so do most of their kids :rofl:)

spinach spaghetti sauce:

1 bunch baby spinach steamed
1 cup cottage cheese
cheddar cheese to taste (we use loads because Hannah likes cheese).

Puree together in a blender and serve over pasta over your choice :) I've also used the recipe to make raviolis which Hannah really liked, it's one of her favorite dinners

Talking of simple recipes.. Does anyone have anything using noodles which is suitable for BLW? Violet does quite well with them and I'd like to do them more often but not sure what to do.

I did find this recipe but we wouldn't eat the oyster sauce :sick: and not sure what to substitute it with?

TIA x

What kinds of noodles? Any kind or a certain kind? Pasta, egg, etc?

When I do a stir fry I tend not to use any sauce at all...I just cook chicken / veg, then add cooked noodles and some sesame oil and soy sauce. I guess I'd take some out for Ruby before adding the soy sauce.

When I was a kid my dad did this with egg noodles... I loved it. Still do! haha

Broad egg noodles. (no yolk for a low cholesterol alt)
Boil in water until cooked
Heat a bit of olive oil in skillet (veg oil if you want higher fat content for BLW)
Fry egg noodles until slightly crispy (the crispier the better to me, but that isn't for everyone)
Sprinkle with paprika as you are frying them
Just toss as they are frying so they don't burn in one spot.

I drizzle the fried noodles with ketchup ... yum yum

Also, I looked at that recipe, I think the oyster sauce is just for salt and thickening. So you can use flour/water or cornstarch/water to thicken. You don't want the salt anyway for BLW, right? :mrgreen:

we generally use pasta noodles. I like the elbow macaronis for her as they are easy for her to pick up. we tried the spirals to but I found they were harder for her to eat (thicker) and I had to cut them up before giving them to her which is a pain

this is in the recipe thread up top but I think it'd be good for BLW and all the adults I know who have tried it love it :lol: (and so do most of their kids :rofl:)

spinach spaghetti sauce:

1 bunch baby spinach steamed
1 cup cottage cheese
cheddar cheese to taste (we use loads because Hannah likes cheese).

Puree together in a blender and serve over pasta over your choice :) I've also used the recipe to make raviolis which Hannah really liked, it's one of her favorite dinners

Going to try this in the next day or two -- but I have a question... how long to you steam the spinach?

we used a rice cooker or a steaming pan that we had (pot of boiling water that had an insert thing you could place things in and a lid) to steam. You could probably just cook the spinach down in water and it'd have the same effect?

I have a pot with an insert for to make a steamer -- do you do them until they are soggy? Or just lightly??

ooh good idea! i will be back tomorrow with some recipes, im falling asleep now lol

ive heard youre not meant to give marmite to babys under 1 cos its so salty

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->