• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Book Club. All Are Welcome. Reading for End of May: Dark Matter by Blake Crouch

P.S. I'll put some questions together today. I've got a few on my mind already. :thumbup:

Ok! Questions!!! Hidden in the spoiler JIK someone else hasn't finished it yet. I think BG is close! Answer whichever ones you want. :friends:

1. What did you think of this book?

2. What do you think is the significance of Richard Parker?

3. Why do you think the author (Martel) chose to wrap the story of Pi Patel inside the story of the narrator?

4. What do you think the floating island symbolizes? Do you think it was real?

5. Which of Pi's stories do you think is true? Can they both be true?

6. Which of Pi's stories did you like better? Why?

7. What do you think each of the animals on the boat represents?

8. Anything else you'd like to add or discuss? (Religion, etc.?)

My own answers:

I really liked this book. Or at least the second half of this book. I struggled to get into it in the first part when Pi was still in Pondicherry, but from the point where he and his family were on the boat, I was hooked. I thought the author did a great job describing the emotions, fears, and sensations of being lost at sea. He wove an excellent tale.

For me, Richard Parker represented Pi’s inner self, a basic, animal instinct that he didn’t want to succumb to but which was necessary for survival. He was an animal, he was brutal, and he acted on instinct to stay alive. There was no goodness or evil in what he did; he merely lived on. At the same time, his presence was helpful to Pi, emotionally and physically, and Pi had to nurture him or die. It also seems like Richard Parker could have also served as a way for Pi to disassociate himself with some of the actions he may have had to take while on the boat to stay alive. It was almost like permission to do what had to be done to keep going.

3. Why do you think the author (Martel) chose to wrap the story of Pi Patel inside the story of the narrator?
I think this allowed Martel to both tell the story from Pi’s point of view (to get us into the heat of the sun and the salt of the ocean) and also to help shape the narrative of Pi’s life beyond the boat - without having to share the experience with the reader or have it be an afterthought, a listing out of “where is Pi now?”. Through the narrator, we see that Pi survived, fell in love, and had a child - but that the ordeal on the boat never left him. Sometimes it was jarring to me, the switching between the narrator and Pi’s point of view, though. I’m not totally sure if I find it effective overall or not.

Omg. This part freaked me out. I kind of loved it. I think it probably was real, although perhaps not quite what it seemed. I feel like the island might represent a choice between good and evil. Pi could stay on the island and live out his days in relative comfort, but never have a chance at redemption, at finding land. Or, he could leave, set out on his own, endure more hardship, and ultimately have a chance at salvation.

For awhile I thought the island may represent what happens to a person in the face of hardship - the island burned living things alive in order to sustain itself out at sea.

Maybe it stands for both? Or neither? :shrug:

The teeth in the leaf pods were crazy. P.S. I want a pet meerkat.

So the same major points happened in each story. Creatures lost at sea. A broken leg. Pain and suffering and death and hope. But one story makes me feel happier, the other makes me feel sadder and because there’s really no way to tell which one is real and which one isn’t - Pi never says - I feel like it is up to us to choose which one we believe in. Perhaps this choice to believe or not is like the choice to believe in God/follow a religion or not, although it cannot be proven. It’s up to each individual to decide. For purposes of this story and my own post-reading happiness, I choose to believe that the story with the animals is the real one.

Animals! I liked the animals story so much better. (See answer to question 5. :rofl: )

It was less heartbreaking than the story of Pi seeing his mother being killed, of the poor guy with the broken leg, and of the brutal cook. When the story is about animals, it seems like the outcome of killing, eating, and carrying on was inevitable, like nature and instinct took over in each creature and that was ok - but when it’s told about people it seems tragic and pointless and cruel. Dislike.

The author sort of hit us over the head with some of this, but here it is with my take:

Chimpanzee: Pi’s mother. Nurturing, love, tenderness. A tie to higher human nature instead of baser instinct.
Hyena: The cook. Nastiness and thoughtlessness untethered by thoughts of what the right thing to do would be. What happens to someone who chooses fear and prioritizes comfort and ones own self over the needs of others.
Zebra: The young, beautiful sailor who died. Innocence and ultimately a symbol of what happens to someone who can’t or won’t fight to survive.
Richard Parker: Pi. Survival instinct. Intelligence and cunning. Retribution. The ability to do what needs to be done. The fight to live.

I’m sorry I took so long to read this book!

I didn’t like the defense of zoos in this book. I don’t like zoos, or keeping wild animals in captivity, and I hated the parts that were talking about the terrible things people do to animals. (Wildlife refuges or bust.)

After the fact, I though it was interesting that Pi’s majors in college were zoology and theology. Like, religion or science. Now that I think about it, I think it foreshadowed the difference between the two stories Pi told.

Can't wait to read what the rest of you thought!

Thanks for the Q's, lemon! Love it. I'll post some comments in the next day or so

:)

I'm posing my answers before I read yours, Lemon! Some of my answers turned into questions :lol:

This is my second read (and one movie watch) of this story. I pick up something new every time. I think the beginning starts out so slowly, but serves the purpose of introducing the philosophy that must be important for the rest of the book.

I think he's Pi's sense of self preservation and overcoming what should be a fatal situation. Perhaps he creates the most terrifying creature he remembers (from his earlier experience) and builds it into a sort of guardian for himself. A terrifying guardian that he trains and bends to his will.

3. Why do you think the author (Martel) chose to wrap the story of Pi Patel inside the story of the narrator? It allowed the author to introduce the philosophy of the book as well as serve as a stand-in for the reader, as it feels like we are being told the story as he is.

I hope it's real, because it's awesome yet disturbing. It could be real. Things start getting pretty weird for Pi at that point, though. There has to be some explanation for his survival at that point, and the island has it covered. A floating paradise that kills you? I guess I feel like it's too strange not to be real.

5. Which of Pi's stories do you think is true? Can they both be true? The cynic in me wants to say his second story is the real one, but, like the inspectors, I prefer the first story with the animals. Maybe it doesn't matter if there's only one true one. I think the first one is a sort of parable that he has created out of his experience.

Of course I already said I like the one with the animals better. Somehow, the thought of animals murdering eachother is easier to digest than the thought of humans doing so, it's more innocent when it's natural instinct rather than self preservation, but I guess when survival is involved we are all driven by the need to stay alive, or to keep our children alive.

7. What do you think each of the animals on the boat represents? I think they represent the people Pi said they did - each one was selected for a particular reason to be their animal with their particular personality and characteristics. They could also represent the different parts of himself that surface and he has to discard one by one until only the ruthless tiger remains. The panicky zebra has to go, then the gentle orangutan, the vicious but indecisive and anxious hyena...Richard Parker is the only thing strong enough to keep him alive.

I think the religious overtone in the book is more a philosophical one and possibly to some degree structural if you're not taking the first story literally. Pi's curiosity and desire to be all three religions he discovers is so wonderful to me. Why not? All three religions follow the same book, after all. It was very interesting that a child's innocent curiosity highlights the exclusionary (or possessive?) practices of religions, yet he continues to worship the way he feels is correct.
What does this have to do with him surviving? Is he able to draw on the strength of three different faiths and thus survive? It seems like he draws strength from the differences in each faith rather than seeing the weaknesses of the other that the religious leaders who are so aghast at his habits see.

Hopefully L stays down so I can finish these questions!

LOVE. I wasn't quite hooked until the life boat. The minute we found out that Richard Parker was a tiger, I died laughing and I couldn't put the book down.

Lemon's answer 1000%
It was one way for him to explain the significance of his story, and for us to attempt to understand. We read survivor stories all the time and sometimes it's just hard to relate to the survivor because we haven't been faced with those choices, those circumstances. But for him to turn himself into an animal, we can comprehend - day in and day out, he's an animal to the core, he's a vicious fighter. Yeah, it was ugly. Yeah, it was horrible. But he survived.

I'm not sure on this one, I didn't feel it was necessary. I mean maybe it was a way for him to have a level of detachment, life goes on, type of thing, without him having to say "okay and 20 years later.... see this happy ending?" No! The ending was HORRIBLE (in the best way) but, I wish I hadn't read it. Martel is a jerk.

I thought he had completely lost his shit when we got to the island. I thought it was all completely made up and he was hallucinating because of the blind man just prior to this I'm like YEAH FREAKING RIGHT. so then I started to question everything... was there really a blind man? Was there really a tiger? Was he really alive on this boat? I was so caught up in the island not being real - just being honest - I didn't think about the significance of it. The teeth part totally freaked me out and I completely forgot about that until Lemon reminded me! :rofl:

The story with the humans is the real one (in my mind), and it's depressing A.F. As I said, I wish I had stopped reading before this bit. I do like that he gave that choice to the reader. I wish I could believe the animal story, I really do.

The animal one by far! It's so believable and entertaining, and despite the horror, it's uplifting. The human story (the one I believe to be true) is so damn depressing. There's nothing redeeming about it. It just sucks so bad.

I shall not repeat Lemon once again, for the sake of time and a ticking time bomb upstairs.

I actually found the defense of zoos to be fascinating. I don't like zoos that much but I also haven't thought of them from that perspective so it was interesting to me.

I also thought it was quite funny that he was an active Hindu - Muslim - Christian (and the leaders from the churches he was going to staged an intervention / confrontation that I found to be hilarious). He loved God so much and he couldn't not practice all three faiths. It's like his story, there's multiple stories.

Ok, totally don't know how to do a spoiler, and I also don't have a lot of time to post answers...BUTTTTT, can I just say that:

I am TOTALLY not religious. Like, I always went out of my way to avoid talking about it etc., and it totally makes me crazy when people want to pray before dinner at my house. I mean, I don't go to their house and ask to do things at their table -- DH's family is very, VERY religious. I'm respectful and let them do their thing, but I have no interest in it at all.

When I read this book, and got to the end I was like "Hmmmmm...." THAT's what those stories are for. It definitely didn't change my way of thinking, but I completely understand the purpose of the stories and why they are taught. When he said, "Which do you prefer" I think we all chose the same one...

That was really interesting to me, and it stuck with me. It was the first book that really left me feeling, "huh...yeah, I get it"

That's all I'll say for now..but I have been totally waiting to share my life changing moment with you all hahaha.

Sunshine! That's amazing! I'm not religious either, but I find the philosophy of religion very interesting. I guess most people will choose the uplifting rather than the depressing when given a choice like that, but I never thought about it like that until reading this book.

YES, both of you, I didn't even think about the fact that he used the frame story to show us Pi's happy ending! It was jarring the first time reading through, for sure.

Of course a kid is going to defend his way of life/his parent's way of life with the zoos thing. I don't know. I always thought they were cruel, but so is life outside zoos. What about wildlife reserves? I think zoos do serve an educational purpose which can lead to an increase in conservation resources, but the habitats need to be right. I'm no biologist, though.

Lemon's point about the two majors being parallel to the two stories was a great one. One on faith and one in reality?

The teeth. OMG it was disturbing. I like the idea it represented a choice between good and evil. Or maybe between giving up and surviving. To give up at that point probably would have been easier than to survive. I like Lemon's ideas too, it seems like the book just leaves it open to interpret any way the reader wants to, and that's pretty amazing.

taking a pass on answering and reading next book.

sorry ladies, just dont have that energy to go through this right now.

I finished! Great questions, Lemon. And now I need to go back and read everyone else's responses. :coffee:

I liked it, primarily because I like books that make me think. It wasn't a clear cut A-Z story. And it definitely started out slow! It was enjoyable and interesting, but slow. When you go into it knowing there's a boy in a lifeboat with a tiger, it seemed like it took a long time to get there.

I think it's really interesting that the animal has a human name, and I think that is on purpose. I think he is Pi's spirit animal. He represents the baser instincts that exist in all of us, as well as the ideals of self possession and self support. He stuck out in Pi's childhood memory of the zoo, and the lessons he learned from observing the tiger helped him through his time in the raft.

Having an external character (the narrator) who discusses Pi's story but does not question it gives us the impression that Pi is a reliable narrator of his own life. He can be trusted to tell the truth.

Do I think it was real? Yes and no. I've seen a lot of ocean. There are uninhabited islands, but they are extremely few and far between. There is a ton more ocean than land. I pictured it more as a type of enlarged collection of sargassum, which is a floating collection of seaweed and algae. Lots of little fish and crabs and things tend to collect there for safety and food, which means that larger animals like birds and sea turtles and things go there for food too. I think Pi found one of these "islands" and was able to get food and collect rain water. As far as the freaky teeth thing, maybe it was a shark or a poisonous red algae bloom that forced him to move on. As far as the symbolic aspect, I'll get into that later.

I absolutely believe both are true. One is the facts, and one is the emotions. Both are necessary for a complete story.

I don't know that I really like one better than the other, because in my mind they don't exist independently. They both happened at the same time. I like aspects of each better than the other, but not one whole story best.

Exactly who Pi tells us they do. His mother WAS the orangutan. The cook WAS the hyena. The Japanese sailor WAS the zebra. Just like Pi WAS Richard Parker.

I read a book in college called The Things They Carried. One chapter in it is about "how to tell a true war story". The two stories that Pi told were how he was able to tell the true story of what happened to him. The facts are grim and depressing, but to help other people understand what he went through and how he survived he needed to tell the story with the animals because they were easier to connect to emotionally. The emotions are just as validating as the facts and if things need to be exaggerated or changed to evoke the appropriate emotion, it's still true even if it didn't happen.

I am moderately religious. I also believe that most religions tend to teach the same things are their cores; try to be a better person today than yesterday, try to be a better person tomorrow than you are today, treat everyone with kindness, and recognize that there is something, anything, out there bigger than you and difficult to understand. I think this is Pi's outlook. His three religions are all true, but they speak the truths at different volumes or in different ways. He listens to each in the ways that make the most sense to him. Its the same way he talks about zoos. When each animal is properly respected and allowances are made correctly for their different needs, they can coexist and be admired. Everyone is going to have different ideas of right and wrong, but some things simply are what they are independent of public or personal opinion.

I'm pretty sure that I'm the last to answer... I always find this part so daunting.

I never really got that into it; and when it got to the island, like Amy, all I could focus on was how unbelievable it was. It totally took me out of the entire story (and that is why it took me so long to finish). Looking back, it was supposed to be unbelievable, but the cost of the twist ending for me was a very unenthusiastic read. I also don't like how the author basically spelled out all the parallels at the end, like we weren't smart enough to catch on.

Since we are told that Pi is Richard Parker, I think that it is his animal instincts that he must master in order to survive.

For some reason, I can't remember the very ending of the book... ha!

I absolutely don't think the island was real. As for what it symbolizes, I did wonder about that. If Pi is Richard Parker, and Richard Parker went on the island is basically went bonkers on the meerkats, I wonder what that means as far as what Pi actually did and to what? As Lemon said, I think it is a struggle of good and evil and it fits with the religious tone in the beginning. The teeth are an interesting addition. It's funny how a human component was in the center of a natural one. I think that it is another blurring of the natural world and the world of man. How Pi had to rely revert to his animalistic self to survive but in a way, it was disturbing to him. He mentions a few times how he is a vegetarian and the eating of raw fish was unsettling to him in the beginning.

I think the 2nd one is true

And Bunny is awake, so that's all for now.

And I have to ask, any takers to lead the next read?

Ummm, No. Because I just want you all to read The Unlikely Pilgrimige of Harold Fry lol. and Tank, you already have!!

haha That's no issue for me. I did read The Prince of Tides recently, and it was very good, but long.

Tank you weren't the last...I still have to answer. I plan to try tomorrow, tonight I was busy disinfecting the house from the plague so DH doesn't get it when he comes home in a few hours. :blush:

Oh Whim. That’s totally fine. Take all the time you need, of course.

And WIL. Good luck. :haha:

I love reading all your answers. This reminds me about what I liked about English class. :haha:

^^^ seriously... everyone else has way better answers IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amama
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->