• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Book Club. All Are Welcome. Reading for End of May: Dark Matter by Blake Crouch

Haha, Amy. :rofl: When will you have it?

I finished it - had a lot of time to read this weekend.

My 1 cent copy got here today FINALLY. Hopefully I don't catch VD.

:rofl:

My (spoiler-free) opinion:

I really liked the premise, but not the execution. :nope:

Starting this tonight! I read all the spoilers anyway :haha:

I'm loving this book but it's slow going because it's difficult for me to read with this vertigo. :nope: I'm about 1/3 of the way done.

I love reviewing things, is there money in that? :rofl:

I finished the book last night. I liked the concept but didn't get into the book until about 1/3 of the way through. Then, I had a hard time putting it down, but I'm not sure why :shrug: I am intrigued and will probably read the sequels, something about the story is sticking to me...

... probably because the novel is science fiction, provoking a lot of thought on my part because BIOLOGY :haha: and it has religious themes. While I do love the concept, the characters fell short for me, and the whole thing left me a big frustrated.

John was infuriating. I get that he isn't perfect. I didn't want him to be perfect. But, just when I felt like there may be something redeeming about him, and I desperately wanted there to be, he would do or say or think some dumb shit and I'm like :roll: This is a proud, controlling, miserable man in the making. I could see him killing someone very easily (I was worried he was going to kill Jeff :cry:) for questioning his authority or getting in his way. Because of this, I couldn't understand why anyone would want to follow him. It was a bit of a stretch that suddenly all these disgruntled teenagers would throw their lives away to march into the unknown cold and risk their lives, with John as a leader.

Then there's Tina. Beautiful and smart, but completely underdeveloped. When I think about her, I think first about the near rape, and then about how she only wants to have anal sex so she doesn't get pregnant. That's what is sticking with me and it's so objectifying really. and I wonder if that was the point after all? She should have been a leader! She could have had such a voice! Instead she bitched and kept her mouth shut. Maybe this is explained in the sequels. I'm kind of excited to find out.

I did appreciate that this novel didn't turn into the typical young adult love story. The author flirted with it, but kept it real real. and Jeff! He's my homeboy.

So I decided to sit this one out due to MS, and I've loved reading the spoilers.

But I may decide to read it after all, at a later time. Depending on other recommendations!

I'm finished! I'd like to read sequels. I feel like it needs more fleshing out in general, like there's so much potential there in the bones of the story.

I finally started it! (Seriously, I need to work these club books into my rotation more quickly and stop getting distracted by others in my TBR pile.) So far it's an interesting premise, but the double speak and conflicting uses of "so-an-so and me" and "so-and-so and I" is going to need an explanation soon or it's going to drive me up a wall.

:haha:

My opinion on this book:

I loved the premise. I thought it was awesome. Two people stranded and all alone in the world, waiting to be rescued from distant Earth, having children and building a society, dreaming of returning home. A world without a sun, with heat from within, with ecosystems adapted to darkness and the alien humans struggling to survive. Awesome.

In reality - the writing bugged me (i'm not convinced reduplication in language would develop from english speakers in this way), and I didn't think it explored the themes in enough detail. It sort of fell flat during the last 1/3 for me, and got a bit repetitive.

It's treatment of sex seemed reasonable. The inbreeding bits were interesting, with cleft palates and clubfeet popping in and out.

It surprised me that after the Tommy and Angela had all daughters, they didn't just say "oh well, no grandchildren for us" and chill out with the trying to populate the world they didn't even want to live on. :dohh: That was both fascinating and really hard to read about.

I wanted Tina Spiketree to be better. She was supposed to be smart and independent but her whole existence seemed to revolve around John Redlantern and the other boys/men in the group. :roll: What was the deal with the women in this book just bowing down to the men taking over?

John was a bit too much. Was he noble and brave and looking out for the species, or was he selfish and power hungry? I am unconvinced about his motivations.

And seriously - over 200 years stuck on this planet and nobody thought to make a pair of shoes, even though Angel and Tommy arrived wearing them? :roll:

Anyhow. Yes. In my opinion, the premise was good, the writing was frustrating, and I'm on the fence about the story itself. I didn't really like it as a package. I'd watch the movie. I don't think I'd read the sequels but I'd like to know how it all ends. :haha:

^^^ yes. I kept trying to figure out why the word "very" disappeared from their language? Why something is bad bad instead of very bad? I get that there were two adults having lots of babies rapidly and so lots of child-speak but.... I never say "bad bad" or whatever to my child. :shrug:

The deconstruction of language is definitely confusing. They have word like "Oldest" and "Older", but they don't have "very"? I just read a bit where they used "depressing" and "sad sad" in the same paragraph. So far there hasn't been a reason for this, and it's beginning to annoy me.

So...I'm almost done. My quick two cents on the language thing: it honestly doesn't bother me. No, I don't quite get WHY, but my take on it is that language evolves over time and the reasons for why they talk the way they do could be too complex to explain as a part of this story. Part of it could be due to inbreeding. But I've actually kind of liked it as it's made the story feel more unique to me.

Hoping to finish this weekend!

I thought the book was entertaining, though it did have more potential than it lived up to, which I guess is the writer's fault. I'd still read the sequels. I like the inventive flora and fauna and am curious to see what he comes up with next. My favorites were the tall stick creatures that ate the light. Seriously, who thinks of that? So perhaps his strength is off the wall ideas but not so much putting them together in an elegant way.

I'd say the writing was somewhat raw and underdeveloped. Where he did develop it, I was, as several of you have mentioned, disappointed. John, oh John. So flawed. But is he a more realistic character because of it? Of course we want our heroes to be the strong and untainted leaders that the highlights of history describe, but in reality, they weren't without faults either, so John's relentless focus on the one thing he's good at makes him more human to my mind. In fact, everyone is flawed. That's probably the most Earthling-like quality they have. Tina bases her personality on her relationships with men rather than herself, though I like that she is at least strong enough to stand up to John when he wants to be monogamous. It's not exactly practical. And she's nothing if not practical. The characters were disappointing in that they were pretty one dimensional, having one main flaw and one main strength to define them. I am hoping perhaps in the sequels they might be developed more. Jeff is definitely my favorite! His flaws are mostly physical. Personally, I don't think thinking on a different plane than others is a flaw, though the characters in the book thought he was a weirdo for a long time. He didn't let anyone's opinions fluster him and stood up for his ideas. I guess I think he was probably the strongest character.

I know there have been many comments made on the double speak word emphasis, and I agree that I'm not sure where it would have come from except perhaps popped up randomly during childhood and adopted. However, the rest of the language is adapted from Earth, and I don't see why they would have dropped very, either. It was a nice attempt at an evolution of a distinct separation in language, but I don't think it worked. Why would the earliest people there just stop saying very? It's such a common word in our vocabulary that it doesn't make sense. Then again, they stop teaching the kids to read and write in order for them to gather food. I think there's a huge connection to reading and language, so perhaps the language is becoming more simplistic and warped in relation to the lack of literacy in the newest generations. It's not like anyone is sitting around writing books for them.

I'm kind of surprised that they didn't have more or mention more and different birth defects. That kind of inbreeding seems like it would create all sorts of problems beyond cleft palates and club feet. Sure, they mention maybe one baby dying from a severe cleft palate, but come on. Look at all the interesting examples from history we have. Mental weakness, physical deformities, sterility, hemophilia, elongated skulls...I'm not looking for a bunch of gruesome babies or anything, but I wonder why he limited things just to two major deformities. I think it would have been interesting to see what kind of response there would have been to blood conditions where you don't stop bleeding even from a small cut, or weird elongated skulls, or men/women who were unable to have babies. It seems like EVERY woman was able to reproduce! There's so much material there.

I really enjoyed the setting. The planet was so unique. Trees that produce light? Even when you cut the branch of, the flowers continue to produce light. I wonder if they last as long as blossoms in a vase and then fade in the same way? I can't imagine a planet in complete darkness, dependent on the heat of the core and the life that supports. What is the planet orbiting? Is it a black hole? Is that even a thing that happens? Is it a rogue planet just zooming through the universe? So many questions. The creatures were great. I enjoyed every one he described. I loved that they created "horses."

I could say so much more but I think I've rambled enough :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amama
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->