Breastfeeding mama's ttc again!

well, its different for everyone (when they get AF back, which im sure you know :dohh:) but i have read that usually once your stop BFing altogether or drastically decrease feeds, it seems AF arrives within 6 weeks. It could be tomorrow for all you know, two weeks from now, 6 weeks from now, but generally if you're cutting back you can expect AF (although not all get her back until the completely stop). I would think soon for you though :) -which means keep :sex: because theres a chance you'll ov. before she arrives ;) :dust:

I hope so!!! I took a hpt last night because I was getting weird cramping that I had only got before while pregnant but it was negative :( Oh well....I don't *really* need to get pregnant until next month

I bet you'll get knocked up as soon as your try :haha:..unless of course you already are ;) but i bet it will be fast :D

Congratulations LucyLu!! That's really fantastic news.

Melissa I'm sorry to say that AF still hasn't come back here and Thomas is nearly 17 months and on just one feed a day for several months now. Hopefully she will make a reappearance sooner than that for you though.

I'm thinking about trying Agnus Castus / Vitex, a herbal remedy that is supposed to be good for getting AF back while breastfeeding. Has anyone tried it or heard anything about it? I found this information on Kellymum:

Vitex is a very useful herb for PMS symptoms, as well as for moms who are breastfeeding and are desiring to conceive again, and are having problems with their cycles returning or becoming regular enough to sustain a pregnancy.

Vitex works by stimulating the production of luteinizing hormone (LH) and suppressing the production of follicle stimulating hormone (FSH). This in turn causes the corpus luteum to secrete more progesterone. Progesterone suppresses the production of prolaction. Also, vitex has components that bind to the dopamine receptor sites of the pituitary, inhibiting prolactin secretion.

Chasteberry/Vitex/Chaste tree berry has been said to enhance lactation, but in practical application it may decrease milk supply. Once the milk supply is firmly established and on autocrine control, it's doubtful that the use of vitex, in and of itself, will have any negative impact on milk production, but it should not be recommended as a galactagogue.

Polaris - I have been taking Vitex this past cycle and I think it is having a positive effect! I OV 2 days earlier than normal (CD15) so my LP was 9-10 days. I'm not exactly sure on the LP as my AF has been a bit dodgy this month. But I had a 4day LP at the shortest and 8 days at the longest, so an improvement!! Also I feel like my hormones are more stable generally (less AF pain, more stable moods, less breakthrough spotting, etc)

The thing about vitex though is that it can dry the milk up as it can lower the hormones that help produce it (because it is regulating the hormones). But I am definitely staying on it - I have taken B6 for months, and tried a few other things but haven't had anything make much of a difference until this. I wasn't too worried about drying up my milk as Bun only BF 1x/day and it is mostly for comfort. I take less than a dose/day as well just in case. But I got the OK to take it as long as I understood the possibility of the effect it could have on my production. I haven't noticed much difference in that area yet, but vitex can take a few months to really take effect! xxx

I am waiting to try vitex till I am done bf'ing in the mean time I am taking b vits with 50 mgs of b6 in it a day. If I don't notice a change I'll up it to 100 mgs. I'm also on clomid this month and my motilium. I had stopped the motilium for two days but then skyler got sick and wanted to nurse around the clock so I started taking a lower dose of it to help out.

Polaris - I have been taking Vitex this past cycle and I think it is having a positive effect! I OV 2 days earlier than normal (CD15) so my LP was 9-10 days. I'm not exactly sure on the LP as my AF has been a bit dodgy this month. But I had a 4day LP at the shortest and 8 days at the longest, so an improvement!! Also I feel like my hormones are more stable generally (less AF pain, more stable moods, less breakthrough spotting, etc)

The thing about vitex though is that it can dry the milk up as it can lower the hormones that help produce it (because it is regulating the hormones). But I am definitely staying on it - I have taken B6 for months, and tried a few other things but haven't had anything make much of a difference until this. I wasn't too worried about drying up my milk as Bun only BF 1x/day and it is mostly for comfort. I take less than a dose/day as well just in case. But I got the OK to take it as long as I understood the possibility of the effect it could have on my production. I haven't noticed much difference in that area yet, but vitex can take a few months to really take effect! xxx

Thanks for the information, I definitely think it might be worth considering for me. I'm not too worried about my supply either as Thomas also only has one feed a day and I do think it is mainly for comfort as he will happily go without it if I'm not there at bedtime. And also if I miss the feed I don't even get engorged so I really don't think that he is taking too much milk. I probably wouldn't have considered it when he was younger and still feeding a lot but at this stage I think it's worth a try.

What dose are you taking?

I am the same with Bun - as soon as he was around 14 months his milk consumption really dropped off, then a month ago he just stopped wanting it at all during the day. He usually wakes up at 1:00am and that's it. I never get engorged if he doesn't take any for 24h or so - hardly even remember what it feels like! I take the vitex in liquid form (tastes AWFUL) and I take 500mg a day - which is 16-17 drops (half a dose - full dose is 15-20 drops 2x/day) I buy the A.Vogel brand.

I think I might try that vitex.....couldn't hurt right??? :D
Where do you get it? Do you need a prescription?

No - it's just an herbal supplement! I get it from the health food store xx

so, what exactly does vitex do? I read the info, but i still dont fully understand :shrug: Does it make you ov. earlier? Does it make your cycles regular (and if so how)? Does it lengthen LP? What exactly is its purpose? I may try it if things are a no go this cycle. Because last cycle i had a really funky cycle-so abnormal...i think it was more bc of my thyroid but couldn't hurt

Nice.
They were orginally from Brownsville-on the Texeco boarder and it was flipping HOT there in the summer! I love Austin though, wish i could move there!

Yes I have been there. It is hot and humid down by the border. I love Texas... all except for the wind!!!!

Pretty far apart. I had my first 2 when I was 16&18... so my daughter is 9, my son is 7 and my new baby girl is 3 months. My mom did a lot for me with my first 2... we lived with her. With klaire its like a whole new experience. I love it. And my older kids are amazing helpers.

yeah, no doubt i am sure!
are you nervous having them close in age? (well #3 and #4) i want mine really close (obviously) but im sorta scared at the same time.but i think im just scared to have more than one in general, but excited too.

I really want them close. My older 2 are 18 months apart... I think if I get pregnant soon.... which I hope, it will be hard, but totally worth it. My older 2 are great together and I want klaire to have the same thing.... I am scared though. Lol the fear comes and goes. I bet we will be running our legs off the first few years..... but maybe that will be a good diet plan. Lol do u want a boy or girl... or does it matter?? I have both... so to me it doesn't matter. For convenience a girl would be good. But I will be happy either way. We have a 4 bedroom house... so at least if it was a girl, the babies could share a room. I don't think my other 2 will be to thrilled about sharing with the baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->