Breastfeeding mama's ttc again!

I did look it up on various sites which all said standard dose is 1000mg/day. But mainly the vitex I bought came with a how-to pamphlet and dosages which had the daily dose at around 1000mg/day. (it said 20 drops = 542mg, and daily dose is 15-20 drops 2x/day). I only took mine once a day in the morning. I bought it at a health food place which has a doc/naturopath there who I discussed it with as well. He was very knowledgeable about it. My own doc had to look it up and was ok with me taking it, but she wasn't too concerned as it's an herbal supplement and I think she kind of rolled her eyes a bit that I would bother making an appointment to ask.

Oh ok. I found it in 1000mg capsules so I won't have to bother with the liquid which is nice. I just wanted to make sure it was all good in that high a dose, cause most of the other stores I called sell it in 80mg capsules or 400mg capsules, I was just surprised by the varying level of potency.

There is a huge variation in potency. I bought the brand I did because the 1000mg dose in the other option was double the amount! And more expensive to boot! :wacko:

Well I'll likely take the full standard dose once I am done bf'ing which may be never since my kid refuses to take a bottle. I am wondering if it's the taste of the formula. I've taken a bag of frozen BM out and am going to try that tonight that way I can at least figure out if it's the bottle or the taste. If I have to I'll just mix the EBM with the formula and slowly make it more formula and see if that works.

Tiff, i thought youve always pumped? ...so Im confused, how did you give the pumped stuff to him while you were at class? or did you just freeze all of it? :shrug:

My LO wouldn't ever take frozen EBM! I froze so much in the early days but he would never take it so it all ended up in the bin! :( I was reading about some women having lots of a certain protein in their milk that gives it a funky smell when it is thawed though - mine definitely smelled off when thawed.
OH was so disappointed that he could never feed Bun!

I hope he takes the EBM! Then you can slowly wean him onto the formula. xxx

alright ladies, heres a random question for you guys. back story: we got back from vacation last week and my stepson had a cold. so by tuesday audrey had some sniffles. then we had to go in on tuesday for her six month shots and by the end of the day she was pretty sick. she got over the high fever, but still has a cough and congestion, and today she has a midgrade fever. anyway, she absolutely will not nurse...it started 3 days ago and i have not been able to get her to nurse since then. i am pumping to try to keep my supply and to feed her EBF, which she takes out of a bottle no problem... then last night she wouldnt sleep at all and i ended up having to hold her all night as she woke up every 20-30 minutes crying like she was in pain. also, she has been gnawing on her hand a LOT lately and DH says it feels like her teeth are right under the surface of her gums in several places. so i am wondering if the cold and the teething have anything to do with the nursing strike...did any of your LOs do this? how long did it last? and do you think that it all has to do with the sleeping or is it normal to have such drastic sleep regression at about 6 months?

thanks ladies! :)

Guppy's son wouldn't nurse cause he was teething.

I always pumped, so I pumped enough in advance to have fresh milk in the fridge for the first day I was gone in the week then what I pumped while away just went into the fridge for the next day etc. I also pumped to have a stash which we used when I got sick and started having milk supply issues. Problem is my schedules been so great that the last couple months I was able to come home to nurse at lunch so I didn't need to pump and he didn't need a bottle anymore... hence the bottle strike he won't take one now. I am wondering if it's the taste of the formula though cause I tried some and it's disgusting. Does that answer your question? I haven't pumped in about a month now nor do I intend on pumping again but if he won't take a bottle I'm going to have to go back on the motilium that I so desperately want to be off of just to feed him.

My LO always fed loads when he was sick, but was the complete opposite when teething. I thought he would wean completely last time he was teething. My LO also bites me if I try to BF when he's teething (ow!) - like really bites. But they are all different - some want to BF constantly and others don't want BM at all. Also I've noticed on the BF forum that some babies will strike if they have an ear infection with their cold as the suction required with BF hurts their ears. Bottles are easier on them when it comes to sucking/swallowing. My LO will have issues too if he is so congested that he needs to come on/off the boob to breathe.

Really hope Audrey feels better soon and gets back on the boob! I would just keep offering and pumping to maintain supply. I'm sure she will be back once she's feeling better. xxx

eeek! i never thought of an ear infection! she has been grabbing at her ear, but she always does that, so i didnt really think about it. but everything i read says that they often come after a cold, are accompanied by a low grade fever, makes them stop nursing, and affects sleep... :-/ i guess i should probably try to get her into the doctor to make sure everything is alright! rather be safe than sorry and all of that! thanks for the help sun!

ear infections and fevers are common with teething!
Also, like Tiffany said, isaiah refused the boob when he started teething-hasn't gone back since :( And he got really pissed when i would offer it to him :wacko:

thats exactly the same with audrey! she puts both hands on my boob, pushes her arms straight out and arches her back to get as far away from me as possible, and then she screams. though now it seems like shes not wanting to eat anything, whether it be from a bottle or a boob! i havent been able to get her to eat anything all morning :(

aww. wonder if her tummy is hurting? if she was teething i would think she would want something in her mouth. Maybe try at wet cool washcloth and see if she responds to it (to find out if it is her teeth bothering her or not). Usually if they are teething they drool a lot more frequently and put EVERYTHING in their mouths (more so than usual). If you dont conclude its her teeth id have to wonder if her tummy hurts.

she drools like crazy all the time, but it doesnt seem like more than normal. she has had pretty much her entire fist in her mouth all morning though. she is sleeping a lot more than normal today and im not sure if its because she slept so poorly last night or if its because she is sick. i tried giving her a teether ring this morning and she just kind of stared at it. she doesnt seem to like to chew on anything but her hands or mommy and daddys forearms. lol.

I would have to guess if she is teething then!
Maybe try giving her some baby orajel (doesn't work for Z though- i would suggest vanilla extract thou! works wonders for us!)

Hope you figure out what's bothering her... Maybe take her to the doctor just to be safe :hugs:

i will have DH pick up some orajel tonight to give that a try. what is the vanilla extract for? the gums? she finally ate a few ounces and so that makes me feel a bit better, but shes back to sleep already...she NEVER sleeps this much! im thinking maybe a trip to the doctor is in order, just to be safe. i think ill call in a consult with the nurse first to see what she has to say about it.

Hope you get it figured out :hugs:
Yeah, we dont even bother with the orajel because it doesnt work at all (for him). So we use the vanilla extract (its like 35% alcohol or something)on his gums and it works really well :thumbup:

oh alright! i had never heard of that before. im going to keep that stored back in my mental file in case we have that same issue with the orajel! :) thanks!

I never heard of the vanilla extract thing before! Will have to try this! :thumbup: Orajel also doesn't work with Bun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->