Breastfeeding mama's ttc again!

He has his one year check up soon. I think I agree with you manadanda. Changing his milk is not the be all end all. I am a nurse and have counseled parents before on milk vs soy and other drinks for babies. Eliminating milk for two weeks won't hurt him. No Steph he never reacted to milk from me but my dairy intake was limited when I bfed anyway so not sure if that would be helpful. No new foods either this started when glue started cows milk and has been consistent since.

Being a nuse Tiff what did you recommend to parents who didn't give cows milk at a year? I've let her try almond milk and she is fine but it doens't have enough fat content. Just curious about getting some feed back about that. ;)

Yay for other nurses that have common sense! ;) (I'm a children's nurse myself.)

I wouldn't worry too much about the milk not having enough fat content, to be fair. As long as the child is taking plenty of solid food, the milk's just a drink anyway. Fats can be introduced into the diet in other ways. Avocados are a great "good" fat, for example.

(That said, under one year of age, the main source of nutrition should come from breastmilk or formula.)

So long as she is getting plenty of good food fats ( like avocados) then switching to almond milk won't be a big deal? She has been sensitive to milk early on even while bfing and I would like to prolong givng her cows milk as long as possible in hopes that it won't be an issue at all later if that makes sense.

Do you mean hold off giving it as long as possible (instead of prolong)? Sorry, confused. It really depends on how much milk is a part of her diet. If it's a big part, you may want something with higher fat content. If it's just a drink and something you use to make food with, then I don't see why the fat content is such an issue as long as she makes up for it in her diet.

Are you on Facebook? There's a page called Peaceful Parenting (an extension of the Dr Momma blog), and I bet you'd get a lot of answers there from parents that have faced the same issues and done a LOT of research into it as well.

I am on facebook. I will definitely look them up. Yeah I meant hold off on giving her cows milk.:dohh: Sorry. Haven't been sleeping well the last week due to back problems. And I wouldn't start until after she is a year. I just wanted to get as much info as I can. She still feeds morning and night and 2 or 3 times a day bfing ( putting her down for a nap). But she is having 3 meals a day too. Every once in awhile it's 2 but I try for 3. Also a little snack here and there if she wants. If she sees me eating she has to have a little :haha: Thank you for taking the time to reply back to me. i really appreciate it. ;)

We would recommend a formula or goats milk etc but mostly just told them to follow up with the doc at the next appointment.

My little guy eats so well that fat quantity shouldn't be an issue. I've already planned on asking about it with the doc though just to be safe.

Manada, I just finished applying for a ton of pediatric nursing positions just now :) and some labour and delivery.

Mine isn't interested in milk at all (dairy in things is fine), so interested to hear some diet tips for making up for any 'lack' (I know I'm going to have a HV fight on my hands in a bit as I was given a hard time for not giving baby cereals). I asked in the weaning section, but not much help so far. My last ditch effort is to try some goat mixed with coconut for improved flavour (and because coconut has some good things in it as well).
When I did get mine to take milk as a drink I found she got constipation so I'm really :? on the whole thing. I just want her to have some kind of calorific drink in lieu of breast milk so I can cut her back a little bit.

That is what I was wanting to do also Bky. And Tiffany please let me know what they tell you at his appointment. ;) Sorry to hijack the thread.

Ah, I found the article on the blog: https://www.drmomma.org/2008/02/downside-to-feeding-your-child-cows.html and there's also this one: https://www.drmomma.org/2008/01/ask-experts-is-cows-milk-necessary-for.html and this one, too: https://www.drmomma.org/2010/06/should-children-drink-cow.html
This one may be helpful, too: https://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/toddler-foods.html

You know, I've never sought advice on what to feed my child from my GP, paediatrician, practice nurse, etc. I think there is enough information out there, and you may find that you're more informed than your doctor anyway. ;)

Kelly, I'm American, but I trained here in the UK. I've worked on neonatal units since I qualified, but I've just been offered a job as a community health nurse on the health visiting team, which I'm *very* excited about!

Well I stalk this thread, but am always nervous about joining in on your conversations because you all seem so close. I feel like a bit of an outsider :blush:
My AF is due today but so far is MIA which is unusual, but I'm afriad to test because I hate seeing negative tests.

Kel always feel free to post in here. This is what's here for . ;) I hate negative tests too but I also have a poas addiction so I always cave in anyway. :haha: Being late is good, wait a day or so and then if you feel up to it test. :hugs:

Manda- thank you for all the info. Will be looking through it all day. :)

well i guess i am ntnp always, i dont take any BC, i got my period back after nursing for 1 year and 2 months, am still nursing. would like to have another baby soon just not so crazy about being pregnant, I am nauseas from 5 weeks til the end ,and function at half my usual self, but its all worth it in the end, I am 27 with two boys

Right now I am ntnp too until my hubby gets settled in to his new job for a month or two and when I can move. Then we'll be seriously ttc! :haha:
I could not imagain being sick the whole pregnancy. That is tough! You could still get surprised and have an opposite pregnancy this go. They say each one can be different. ;)

Right now I am ntnp too until my hubby gets settled in to his new job for a month or two and when I can move. Then we'll be seriously ttc! :haha:
I could not imagain being sick the whole pregnancy. That is tough! You could still get surprised and have an opposite pregnancy this go. They say each one can be different. ;)

here's hoping!:thumbup:

Welcome kel! I see you in Seitys journal. No outsiders here. I say test!

Manada I did my final focus as a community health nurse doing home visits to
Moms and babes and also child immunization and I loved loved loved it!!!! You'll be happy I am sure!

Welcome cupcake I'll update the front page shortly.

Just tested!

Attachments

• DSC03568[1].jpg
    DSC03568[1].jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 31

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member